Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I've gone back and forth with my desire to carry only one device rather than both an iPhone and a Mini. I would love an iPad Nano, i.e. bezzleless and thinner to be pocketable which I bet will see a redesign next year, conveniently after the iPhone sees new design language later this year.
In reality physics just make it unlikely. The screen on the mini is so great and expansive for tablet apps but just not comfortably pocketable even if it was only a screen. Then there is Apple, who knows the differentiation game better than anyone. The camera might get better but lack a flash. And it's LTE probably will not be made to accept SMS or cell calls.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Gene "Apple branded TV coming soon, for last 5 years" Munster. As much credibility as you, me or any forum poster anywhere.

As for the 5.5" phone, I'd be absolutely, positively amazed if this were to happen any time in the near future. A bigger phone is an absolute banker at this point, but 5.5"? Nah.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Considering people replace their iPhones at a faster rate than their iPads, I'm sure Apple won't mind at all.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
Has anyone used a moto g or a nexus 4 before? Those are sweet spots and the moto g feels awesome for one handed use

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I doubt it will affect sales. Look at samsung they have the god awful galaxy mega at 6" and the tab 3 at 7". If I had to guess I bet they sale a lot more tab 3 7".

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The "Bigger" the "Better"...

I want a 10" Smartphone and 20" Tablet, Apple just can't seem to give people what they want - how elitist... :eek:

mini-10-phone-2.jpg

Panasonic-4k-tablet-IFA.jpg

;)

CR7tique

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
I'm actually looking to upgrade my iPad mini when the new gen comes out since Apple dropped the ball on the retina display in the current one. Just not on par to what the retina display should be compared to even the older iPad models with retina display and iPhones. But more so to the point, I'll definitely be getting the larger display iPhone 6 regardless.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
making a call on an iPad Mini is kinda hard.

On the other hand, reading a book on an iPad Mini is like reading a paperback, while reading a book on a 4.7in iPhone will not be a pleasant experience at all 9and I speak as someone whe repeatedly tried reading long texts in a Galaxy Note phone).

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
I've gone back and forth with my desire to carry only one device rather than both an iPhone and a Mini..

Excuse me for asking a dumb question, but why do you carry an iPad mini around all the time.. surely they r a sofa toy.. mobile browsing without a laptop on your lap... And if you do use it as your main web device... Why have a 500 dollar phone.. Just a 20 buck dumb fone will suffice surely?..

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Considering people replace their iPhones at a faster rate than their iPads, I'm sure Apple won't mind at all.

Do they? I replace my iPhone when ATT says I can. (Previously 18mo, now 24 for full subsidized phone). I replace my iPad annually. I would think early adopters trade up ASAP and late adopters use until the device dies, no matter what device it is. In other words no difference between iPad and iPhone cycles.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
They think having a larger screen on your phone satisfies every reason someone might buy an iPad or iPad Mini.

No, but it offers a good compromise between the portability of an iPhone and the screen estate of an iPad/Mini and reduces the need to have a tablet.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Its far more usable than an iPhone 4/5-sized device for web browsing (including full-sized sites), reading maps, reading books, watching video, browsing/showing photos. On the other hand, unlike an iPad, it fits in your pocket, which makes it far more useful than the iPad in your bag in the overhead bin 3 rows back...

For some things, the phablet form-factor hits the sweet spot: e.g. perfect for using in a holder for in-car navigation, good size for a camera.

So yes, if I had a 5.5" iPhone I'd definitely think twice about carrying an iPad as well, and thrice about an iPad mini.

Partly, it comes down to whether or not you are able to live with an iPad as a laptop replacement. If so, then a sensible permutation is an iPhone 4/5 + an iPad. Personally, I need to carry a laptop, so a laptop + phablet combo makes more sense than laptop + iPad + iPhone 4/5.

They always forget the software. Its not just about having a larger display, its about the apps.

It depends what happens with the software. I fully agree that, if the iPhone 6/7 simply display scale up iPhone 4/5 apps to fill the screen then it will be pointless. They need software that supports flexible screen layouts and can actually use the larger screen to display more stuff. However I'd guess that, at the very least, the Apple-supplied software that comes with the phone - including web browser, email, maps and video player - will have flexible layouts.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Excuse me for asking a dumb question, but why do you carry an iPad mini around all the time.. surely they r a sofa toy.. mobile browsing without a laptop on your lap... And if you do use it as your main web device... Why have a 500 dollar phone.. Just a 20 buck dumb fone will suffice surely?..

I don't carry mine all the time but it does live a lot of time in my work bag, especially if I know I'll be out of the office for a good part of the day.

The great thing with the mini is it's light enough that you don't really notice the weight compared the sketch book or magazine or bundle of drawings it replaced. Would like it to replace notebook as well but so far it doesn't.

I can see how people could live with a larger phone and a couch-puter, but to me a smaller phone and iPadmini with a desktop workhorse is the right mix for me.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Same here! The N4 is an awesome phone especially when you are off contract :)

I never go on contracts. NZ carriers are bloody rip offs with contracts. Im on a 19 dollar prepaid which gives me unlimited texting, 100 mins and 500MB per month:)

Just wish I could get more data but otherwise my plan is pretty cool

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I never go on contracts. NZ carriers are bloody rip offs with contracts. Im on a 19 dollar prepaid which gives me unlimited texting, 100 mins and 500MB per month:)

Just wish I could get more data but otherwise my plan is pretty cool

We get limited/unlimited data as well as unlimited calls, text, voicemails for $45/mo in the US with Straight Talk which is Walmart :)

xPad

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
People like these analysts always seem to forget one key point about the iPad. They think having a larger screen on your phone satisfies every reason someone might buy an iPad or iPad Mini. They always forget the software. Its not just about having a larger display, its about the apps. iPad apps and iPhone apps are not the same, even if the iPhone got a larger display.

What's with all the absolutes? The type of cannibalization being discussed here is, by it's very nature, not absolute, but just talking about percentages.

No one is claiming that everyone who would want an iPad would instead want a 4.7"+ iPhone. That's silly.

What they are saying is that some people might not opt for an iPad (especially iPad mini). That's all, and it's obviously a valid assumption.

I've seen a lot of commenters here make the same mistake.

Granted, I'm sure there are some people who would be satisfied enough with just a larger screen on their iPhone. But I imagine most of the people buying iPads buy it for more reasons than just the simple fact of it having a larger display than an iPhone. It's just a different experience. One is held in your palm, the other is held with two hands like a book/magazine.

Exactly. So why did you get the first part so completely backwards?

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
next iPhone

Who cares about a .7 increase in screen size. I want the 5.7 phone and Apple will realize when they release the 4.7 that no one cares and no one will buy it.:mad:

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
Who cares about a .7 increase in screen size. I want the 5.7 phone and Apple will realize when they release the 4.7 that no one cares and no one will buy it.:mad:

Percentage area tho, it's a much.bigger screen. The mini is only .9 bigger than a N7, but has nearly 30% more screen size.. so yes it is a big improvement..
And please... Don't try and pass on your opinions as speaking for every one....

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Even though most iPad mini users on here couldn't see substituting a 5.5" phone for a 7.9" tablet, the fact remains that there are many, many people who wouldn't see the point of owning the latter if you have the former. Now one way to convince people to buy both is to fragment the software between phones and tablets, which is exactly what Apple has done. Now obviously this won't prevent all cannibalization, but to say that a phablet will eat significantly into sales of a real tablet probably isn't true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.