Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you agree that the norm M-F work week is too long?

• Yes, i would like 4 weekdays, 3 day weekends

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Yes, I would like 3 weekdays like the OP

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Yes, I would like to not have to work period and go jack all everyday

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • No, 5 day work week is fine.

Votes: 33 43.4%

• Total voters

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I'd love to have my dream job, but only have to work 4 hours a week.

Oh, wait, that doesn't make any sense. :confused:

Nevermind.

I'll stick with the job I love, and working 50+ hours a week. :D

-t

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
Now in France, your company isn't allowed to even email you after 6:00pm.

Well, if you happen to be one of ~250,000 covered individuals out of the entire population of 65.7 million then, you're right.

Otherwise, they can do what they want.

If you're not happy with your job then find a new job - simple.

Personally, I see an erosion with our time off. I frequently work nights and weekends and I don't get paid overtime.

Do I wish I had 3 day weekends, yeah, will it ever happen - never.

I think its time you find a job that you like and enjoy otherwise you'll be miserable for the rest of your life.

Agreed. I work in public accounting. It's occasionally long hours (although considerably shorter than most firms) but I love the work, and I don't go home thinking "Man, I sure do hate my job."

Well, only a few times during the first part of each year :cool:

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
I am more of an outside person. Currently in college to become a physical educator and coach. I will never get rich but will love comfortably and will get months off every year.
Win!

speed4tu

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
Why don't u just get on the system like everyone else and sit on the porch every day doing nothing. Let the rest of us work for you.

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
I work at a CPA firm (but I'm not a tax guy so no, my work year is not about to end), and from 5/1 to 12/31 we get off at 12 on Fridays. We started it a year or so ago, and everyone loves it. We extended to nine hour days M-Th and then a four hour day on Friday. For the auditors, it was no change, because we were already working at least nine hours a day anyways with travel time, so we actually reduced our workload.

I'm an auditor, too, but I work for my state government. We work 4 10-hour days. Having a three-day weekend every week is really nice. When we have holidays, it's almost like a mini vacation. The only bad thing about it is, adding in up to two hours of commuting each day, there's not much time to do anything when I get home. But that changes depending on where we're working.

The OP sounds very unambitious. Honestly, even if I could get by without working, I'm not sure I would not work, at least at this point in my life. Maybe if I had a family to keep me busy then I'd change my mind.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
My advice would be to start a business. Once that business has gotten to a point where you can afford to hire someone to operate the business, do so.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Outside the parameters

As a teacher in tertiary education the number of days I have classes varies with each semester. It can be three with morning and afternoon classes each day, to five with some mornings or afternoons without classes.

However, classroom time is less than half the workload. There is also planning, preparation and marking, which I do at home (no one does much in our assigned office on campus) as needs dictate. I usually do some work every day, including weekends.

The powers that be would like to have me teaching weekend classes as well, but I decline. Sometimes it could be done, but when the when the work generated from weekday classes gets heavy I could not do the job properly.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
OP, don't become a farmer or have kids. Both of those jobs are 24/7 and not easy to get used to. BUT they're both equally worth the pain and frustration you put into it as the rewards are numerous.

Honestly, it sounds like you just hate your job. Try to get into something you actually enjoy. I have a full time job I'm trying to get out of and a part time job in my degree field that I love. The time just flies by because I enjoy it. So much so I'd do it for free (and have!).

As to your original question, I'd rather work 4-10s than 5-8s any day. My team at my full time job has tried to get management to let us work 4-10s but they refuse saying that our productivity will drop off after 8 hours. That's straight up crap honestly as we work 4-10s regularly during the holiday season and have no issues.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Personally, I have a small business that is expanding like crazy, and I have managers more than willing to keep up that for a price. I pay my workers great wages as well.

I work about 25 hours a week these days, spend the rest of the time world traveling with the French Wife, drinking, more drinking, video games, fishing, offroading, and making scool stuff and working on cars

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
The key is to enjoy what you're doing.

If you're a grad student in a STEM field, you're probably working upwards of 60-70hrs a week, 6-7 days a week for peanuts. Such is life.

Two weeks ago I worked close to 80hrs over 6 days. If you like what you do, it can be fun.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I work 100 hours a week, log 80 and get paid for 50.

No but really, I work every day for three weeks, 10-16 hours per day. Then I'm off for a week. This go around will have me working a total of 7 weeks before I'm off, though. Good thing I enjoy my job!

Suck it up, buttercup. You can sleep when you're dead. :)

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I don't think the work week being too long is as important as the jobs people are doing are useless. There are a lot of jobs that provide zero satisfaction for people and the only reason why people work those jobs is to make ends meet and pay the bills.

Humans like to feel valued and to contribute to society. Whether that's 20 hours/week or 100 hours/week it wouldn't matter. As long as our focus remains on things like: cutting down office hours, forcing vacation time, eliminating emails after 6pm, the work week will always be "garbage". The global population for the most part is unfulfilled with their work. This is not true for everyone, as some people actually do enjoy what they do. It's just that the way we have structured our society, the majority of people will not be satisfied and will struggle financially for most of their lives.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I don't mind working 5 days a week. I tend to get bored on the weekends. Although sometimes a 4 day work week and 3 day weekends sounds appealing if I have a lot of plans!

It sounds like you are in the wrong profession/job.

I don't dread my job, I enjoy going. It's very laid back and I don't have to dress up if I don't want to. Typically everyone wears jeans a t-shirt. I'm out the door by 3pm everyday (well 95% of the time unless there is voluntary overtime) and I still have the whole evening ahead of me.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I would much rather work four 10-hour days as opposed to five eight-hour days. The M-F, 9AM - 6PM (hour break mixed in) week really drags, and it doesn't provide much time to get regular househould things done on the weekends along with squeezing in relax/leisure time. I know maaaaany people have it much worse than 9-6 M-F.

I think higher quality, more impactful work is done in shorter bursts. Of course it depends on your line of work and results will vary from person to person, but I think after working on something for 30-45 minutes non-stop, quality starts to degrade. You begin to lose focus, you slow down, you get fatigued, you're more prone to errors. So maybe a work day where you work 45 minutes then have a 15 minute break every hour would be more ideal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.