Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Played through "The Cave" three times so I could try all the different characters. What a great game, from Double Fine, with Ron Gilbert of Monkey Island fame.

I bought it on three systems with the intention of playing through with different characters on each, and sadly I ended up half way in losing interest and giving up.... :(

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Mortal Kombat "Komplete Edition" (PS3): 8.5

This is a fun little package, but it largely depends on how you play it. I will rate the story mode 6.5, it is really just a long series of fights connected by utterly outrageous cutscenes telling a ludicrous "story". It's complete trash, but it is so with a lot of heart and charme, so I actually finished it. :D

The real enjoyment however, and the only true reason one should buy this game, is local multiplayer. Put some guys in a room, have some drinks, and you will have ENDLESS fun with this! So many fighters, so many moves, so many finishing moves, and it's all pretty well balanced. That portion alone I would rate 9.5, and since that is IMO the main focus of fighting games, it is weighted accordingly in my total score. :)

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
inFAMOUS: Second Son

It's a great game and has been a lot of fun. I took my time working my way through the story by exploring and just enjoying it. The graphics are really nice, too.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Mine.

Tearaway [Vita]

+ Gorgeous design. Interactive. Different to anything I've ever played and kept me engaged.

- Games that ask you to use the back touchpad often annoy me, because the implementations are often quirky.

9/10

Guacamelee [Vita]

+ Visually pleasing, funny dialogue and fun combos.

- Challenging + frustrating controls that ultimately caused me to lose interest.

It's fine being challenging but don't make it even more so with glitchy controls. Cause then i feel i have to be superhuman to beat your game which defeats the point.

6.5/10

Knack [PS4]

+ Fun little smash em up. Nice combos and powerups. AI quite formidable than they seem.

- Linear. Horribly cheesy dialogue. Repetitive and felt like a grind at times. Something of a lost potential.

7/10

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
The Last Of Us (PS3): 10/10

What a ride! A true masterpiece. Graphics, design, gameplay, story, characters, emotions, animations, voice acting, score...every aspect of the game is top notch. And so freaking intense sometimes, it was literally exhausting. Very interesting ending, too - not what I expected, but very well done.

Naughty Dog are at the very top of their game here, after the slightly disappointing Uncharted 3.

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
The Amazing Spider Man 2 5.5/10

I played this game on my xbox one when it was released. I'm a somewhat spider man, in fact I used to be a die hard spider man when I was a kid however, the game is extremely repetitive. The graphs are so bad, the previous game had better graphics. Gameplay is worse than the script. The boss fights is based on dodge, web pull and hit. That's what all about the boss fights are and it is same for all bosses. It is kinda related with Amazing Spider man 2 movie but there are lots of missing characters in the game. Overall, I regret to get this game when it was released with maximum price.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
The Cave (PS3): 7.0

It was a fun little game. I finished it with the knight, hillbilly and twins. Fun animations, voice work and some good puzzles. But in the end it felt a little shallow. It's hard not compare it to Monkey Island games when you know who made it, and that comparison is not favorable for The Cave. I guess I expected more...depth? It was quick and good fun, but will be forgotten fairly quickly as well.

Is it worth replaying with different characters? Will I get completely new sections, or just small adjustments to the same environments to use the different "powers"?

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Watchdogs - PS4
Graphics -7/10 - looks good but def just a beefed up PS3 game
Gameplay 8/10 - poor mans GTA. Hacking is fun especially when driving. Driving is god awful I hit everything!!!
Story -6/10 kind of boring and the missions at time force you to play certain ways that aren't fun. Kind of repetitive like GTA just not 1/10th as polished. Shut off the online hack or people randomly jump in your game and ruin story mode for you. Was super pissed about it until someone told me I could shut it off

Very hyped but not as good as GTA 5 or Infamous

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Watchdogs - PS4
Graphics -7/10 - looks good but def just a beefed up PS3 game
Gameplay 8/10 - poor mans GTA. Hacking is fun especially when driving. Driving is god awful I hit everything!!!
Story -6/10 kind of boring and the missions at time force you to play certain ways that aren't fun. Kind of repetitive like GTA just not 1/10th as polished. Shut off the online hack or people randomly jump in your game and ruin story mode for you. Was super pissed about it until someone told me I could shut it off

Very hyped but not as good as GTA 5 or Infamous

I agree with your assessment on driving, it's horrendous

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Deadpool - 8.9

I don't see why this game got such low reviews but this game was tons of fun.

I thoroughly enjoyed it

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
The Cave (PS3): 7.0

It was a fun little game. I finished it with the knight, hillbilly and twins. Fun animations, voice work and some good puzzles. But in the end it felt a little shallow. It's hard not compare it to Monkey Island games when you know who made it, and that comparison is not favorable for The Cave. I guess I expected more...depth? It was quick and good fun, but will be forgotten fairly quickly as well.

Is it worth replaying with different characters? Will I get completely new sections, or just small adjustments to the same environments to use the different "powers"?

Each of the characters has their own section of the cave. My favorites were the explorer and the scientist. I really recommend playing it again with different characters.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Just finished New Super Mario Bros WiiU.

Loved this game. Very challenging and the different areas all had their little "niches" to them that gave me a little trouble.

And on top of that I'm one who always remembers great "weapons" in video games I've had (been playing since the days of Atari 2600). The triple boomerang in Castlevania, the torque bow in Gears of War, the spread gun in Contra, etc. etc. I absolutely loved using 'blue' Yoshi in this game. The other Yoshi's were fun but 'blue' Yoshi is a beast!!!!! :)

Celtic Warrior

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Toronto, ON
Assassin's Creed Black Flag 8.5/10

The game was obviously pretty good both gameplay and script but graphically did not impress me that much. Quite frankly, the game graphics are between good and above average probably because of the both console release ( I played on Xbox One). Also game offers lots of fun options to do beside the main storyline which kind of allows you to gain some money, or crafting stuff that you may use it in the future of the game, such as; harpooning, bell diving, catching a song for crew ( they usually sing those songs while you sail), assassin's contracts and destroy and board other ships.

I've never played the multiplayer, so can't comment on that. But it's wort to purchase and play for it. Approximately it took me to complete 90 percent of the game whether 50 or 60 hours or maybe even more. It depends how many other objects you play and difficulty of the game for sure.

Harry10

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
Callys Cave2 8/10

It looks like the Super Mario on the iPhone.
Maybe it's difficult at the beginning, but you'll fell it easy to control.
An amazing game, it's worthy to playing.

mayanktanwar

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2014
Delhi
Last played game is Candy Crush Saga and i have finished 90 levels to move 91+ i need my 3 friends feed back and i already send requested to all my friends.:rolleyes:

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Infamous Second Son

Looks wise it was simply amazing showing what a next gen console can do. The art throughout was great in the cut scenes and the action was nonstop.

It was rather short and the one liners got old really quick but I thoroughly enjoyed playing through.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Just finished call of duty ghosts a couple days ago on my new PC.

It was pretty good

I'm about an hour into Deadpool and I love it! It's HILARIOUS!

Yes, great game.

It gets a bit tough but yes hilarious.

I'm playing south park stick of truth now and it's right up there with it!

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
South park: the stick of truth - 9

As much as I hate RPG's, south park totally made this one fun!

Lots of things from the show, even devices and little things from the show. Hilarious

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin (DS)

Really liked this. Having additional firepower with the helping from Charlotte was a nice change with the combos and spells. This generation of Castlevania games is probably my favorite as I loved Symphony of the Night.

Lots of extras to unlock once you go back to other areas with new abilities and equipment to access previously unaccessible locations.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Six months and no posts - you guys are slacking!! ;)

Grim Fandango [PS4]: 7/10

I hadn't played this one before, but I was a big fan of the old Lucasarts adventures. Grim Fandango was pretty good, but far from their best. The story and characters were fairly charming. The controls are pretty bad and inconsistent though, I got stuck on one riddle just because all of a sudden I needed to push a different button to pick up an object. Frustrating. The inventory system was bad, especially since almost every game they made BEFORE that did it much better. Graphics could have used more of an update...missed some items simply because I couldn't tell them apart from the scenery, and there was only one tiny precise position Manny needed to stand to interact with it.

All in all, it was a charming adventure with some challenging but mostly fair riddles (only needed internet help for two instances), but Lucasarts have done much better games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.