Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

163692_larger.png
Facebook has updated its news creation and curation app Paper with birthdays, events, group updates, photo comments and much more, filling in the app with features from the "main" Facebook app that users have requested since its debut.
Thanks again for your feedback on Paper. We've been working to build features you've asked for, and we're excited to share version 1.1. Here's the scoop:

- Birthdays and events: Never miss a chance to celebrate! Just tap the notifications globe and scroll down to see important dates ahead.

- Photo comments: When words aren't enough, now you can add photos to comments to show how you feel.

- Group updates: Don't miss posts from your favorite groups. Swipe down to open the Main Menu. Tap the More Options icon to the right of the Search box. When you see your groups, check the new unread counts to catch up on the posts you've missed.

- New story buttons: To keep up with the latest stories in a section in fullscreen view, or to catch the newest stories in the next section, tap the new story arrows when they appear.

- More article covers: 9 new article covers join our collection, making easier to spot your favorite sources on Paper. Keep an eye out for Fox News, Bloomberg News, Mashable, FT, kottke, Popular Science, The Hollywood Reporter, Vanity Fair and Hacker News.

- Basic accessibility: All of your sections now support basic accessibility features, and we're working to extend accessibility throughout the app.
In addition, Paper product manager Michael Reckhow tells The Verge that despite Facebook's plans to strip Messenger out of its main Facebook app, the Paper product team does not have plans to remove messaging from its app, saying that the team wishes to keep the app independent from the goals and strategies of the main Facebook app.

Paper isn't the only app Facebook has been working on updates for, as the company yesterday announced a new feature called Nearby Friends for its main app. Similar to Apple's Find My Friends, the optional feature allows users to see if their friends are nearby so that they can meet up.

Paper - stories from Facebook is available for free in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Facebook is available for free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook Updates 'Paper' App With Birthdays, Events, Photo Comments and More

JTeeth

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Really annoyed that this is not available in Canada. I am absolutely ready to delete my Facebook app off my phone and replace it with something that actually looks like it has a design.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I don't particularly FB much anymore, but Paper is a wonderfully designed app. Kudos to its developers!

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Had to revert to the original Facebook app because Paper was missing these key features. Glad to be able to switch back again.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Really annoyed that this is not available in Canada. I am absolutely ready to delete my Facebook app off my phone and replace it with something that actually looks like it has a design.

Switch/sign to the US store (no credit card necessary), download for free, switch back to the CDN store.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
This was a necessary update. Before this I was using Facebook simultaneously with paper to do regular things. Groups, events and picture comments change the game.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I still don't get every single update on my newsfeed on Paper that the regular Facebook app does get. I get most, but if I check my feed, some are missing. I also would like to sort by most recent.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
I wish I could use this app on Android, on Europe. I just do not understand those restrictions.

It's Facebook, certainly there's not some iOS-only API that makes that app incompatible with other OSes?

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I wish I could use this app on Android, on Europe. I just do not understand those restrictions.

It's Facebook, certainly there's not some iOS-only API that makes that app incompatible with other OSes?

Actually there are some animation APIs that are iOS only. That's not to say the android doesn't have similar sets, but perhaps not as high quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.