Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
Is that for phone support only, or phone and online chat support?

Phone has always been 90 days. Chat has had some leeway to provide free support for any device, although that may be changing to 90 days as well (keep your eyes peeled). But I'm not sure what anyone is upset about. This just makes chat fall in line with every other avenue of communication for support with Apple. See this:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/pay-per-incident.html

youmakemelaugh

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2014
I remember the days when apple stood for excellence in customer service at no value.

It's truly turning to those dark days at apple.

Steve would have never allowed this.

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha! Steve would've never allowed this, huh? This was a thing when Steve was CEO and alive. With EVERY Apple product, you get 90 days of complimentary phone support. 90 days. Then you're charged the PPI fee which is 19 across the board for every device. Think before you speak.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
this is crap. we pay premium price for their products and then charge us for support?

youmakemelaugh

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2014
this is crap. we pay premium price for their products and then charge us for support?

OK, take this, Sharp - AQUOS - 90" Class (90" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - 120Hz - Smart - 3D - HDTV which is 7,999.98. What does SHARP offer for a warranty? Warranty Terms - Parts: 1 year limited. A one year limited warranty on a 8k TV, hmm, seems like you'd want a longer warranty on the TV that you just dropped 8k on, not the iPhone you got for free during an upgrade.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
OK, take this, Sharp - AQUOS - 90" Class (90" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - 120Hz - Smart - 3D - HDTV which is 7,999.98. What does SHARP offer for a warranty? Warranty Terms - Parts: 1 year limited. A one year limited warranty on a 8k TV, hmm, seems like you'd want a longer warranty on the TV that you just dropped 8k on, not the iPhone you got for free during an upgrade.

Don't see your point.

I can create a Mac Pro for over 10K on Apple.com, and the same applies to Apple... 1 year limited warranty. Sure you can buy Applecare, but why only 1 year for a product that is over 10K, right?

youmakemelaugh

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2014
Don't see your point.

I can create a Mac Pro for over 10K on Apple.com, and the same applies to Apple... 1 year limited warranty. Sure you can buy Applecare, but why only 1 year for a product that is over 10K, right?

Sure can. The point is, if you missed it, it's the industry standard. Instead of bitching, crying, whining, buy the ****in' extended warranty. Which includes phone/chat support. The $19 fee wouldn't apply.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Indeed there are horror stories about the worthlessness of Microsoft's phone support for which I recall something like $79 minimum to get them to say hello.

But to be somewhat fair to the tech support staff at Microsoft no one can fix most Windows problems so it's not really surprising they can't either. :D

To MS' credit, I bought a Surface Pro and it had a defective screen. They provided 3 options for getting it taken care of:

1. Go to the website and request a replacement. They even had the option of an advance replacement if you were ok with a credit card hold

2. chat with them about repairs

3. go in person to an MS store

I went, they replaced the tablet with a brand new one. No appointment needed and I was in and out in like 5 minutes.

If you buy a computer from their store they cover it with support, I think. If they do (and you live near an MS store and for some reason really need a Windows computer) I highly recommend them.

Anyway I've never had an issue with Apple's in-person support but this 90 day support thing is ******** and I think it should be illegal. They've tried to force me to pay whatever it is to talk to them about obvious hardware defects on the phone before, and this is going back years.

Not trying to be pro-MS and anti Apple, Apple's in-store support is amazing provided you don't mind making an appointment to get it. Their phone service has never been that great. I'd avoid it at all costs.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011

I buy my phones off contract. So when I buy iphones I pay full price. Other apple products don't come cheap either. And I wouldn't drop 8k on a television anway. That's an outrageous price for a TV.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sure can. The point is, if you missed it, it's the industry standard. Instead of bitching, crying, whining, buy the ****in' extended warranty. Which includes phone/chat support. The $19 fee wouldn't apply.
So because a TV company can get away with treating their customers like sheep we should all be happy about that and see that as something to convince us that things are good? An example of something that isn't good or right, no matter how widespread or accepted it is, doesn't make it actually good or right.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
How are they going to handle the 2year warranty as imposed by the EU which they currently ignore unless you quote their webpage to them?

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

The EU law isn't a warranty and has nothing to do with things like phone support.

What you are miss referencing is a consumer law placed on the seller, not the manufacturer regarding issues of being sold a defective product. It is very clearly defined in that regards and has nothing to do with how the manufacturer handles supporting their product bought at any location.

So how they will handle it that they won't because it doesn't apply. In fact, more often than not it doesn't apply because the product wasn't bought at Apple so one has to go to that location to use said laws, or it's past the legal boundary for 'assume it was a delivery defect' and the onus is on the consumer to prove with more than 'I say so' that the issue was present at delivery and the consumer can't.

----------

You get 90 days of free support, period. 1 year warranty or 2, you still get 90 days free.

Actually if you are under Apple Care, which is the only way to get a two year warranty you get free phone support during that time

The law in question isn't a warranty law, despite folks trying to claim so. Warranties are about manufacturer obligation, these two year laws are consumer laws against the retailer

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
Support is sought when 1) things are broken, or 2) when they are confusing.

A win/win solution to such problems is to....

1) Make less stuff that breaks.

2) Stick what's been the core mission of Apple since the beginning, point and click simple for the masses.

If stuff doesn't break, and it's not over designed with a billion features most people won't use, folks don't need support, and thus they don't get mad when Apple has to charge for that support.

I learned things like this coding my own software. There's always the temptation to code lots of features just because you can, a way of showing off.

The price tag is that the more features you provide, the more confused folks tend to get, and the more support they want to escape the confusion.

You can't provide both point and click simple, AND a million features too.

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Ahahahahahahahahahahaha! Steve would've never allowed this, huh? This was a thing when Steve was CEO and alive. With EVERY Apple product, you get 90 days of complimentary phone support. 90 days. Then you're charged the PPI fee which is 19 across the board for every device. Think before you speak.

Are you saying our savior jobs is a bad man?

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Combined with limited genius bar availability, Apple support is becoming a bit of a pain in the arse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.