Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appletv-326x-tjl-250x250.jpg
Over the weekend, Apple's first-generation Apple TVs were unable to access iTunes, an issue that affected Apple TV owners worldwide.

It appears that Apple has resolved the problem as of Tuesday, with many first-generation Apple TV owners reporting on Apple's Support Communities that their Apple TVs are once again able to access iTunes.

Some iOS users have speculated that the Apple TV downtime, along with the downtime for FaceTime on iOS 6, could be caused by internal communication upgrades related to the Heartbleed security issue, but Apple denied that any of its "key services" were affected by Heartbleed.

Though the first-generation Apple TV appears to be functioning once again, many iOS 6 users are continue to be unable to access FaceTime.

Article Link: First Generation Apple TVs Once Again Able to Connect to iTunes

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Great! Leaves a spark of hope that also FT for iOS6 will be restored...

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I so want to know when the new ATV is launching! I gave my other one to my Dad and have regretted it ever since! I so want another one but am sure if I did buy one, Apple will announce a new one shortly.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Most likely not even this silences the conspiracy theorists....

You'd hope. But give a MacRumours' commenter a sniff that Apple have discontinued something, and they'll pounce with a thousand 'planned obsolescence' comments.

Genuine question Peter, as I haven't been part of this community for an awfully long time ... Were people as whiny back in the waning PowerPC/early Intel/iOS days whenever there was the tiniest outage or unsupported product?

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Were people as whiny back in the PowerPC days whenever there was the tiniest outage or unsupported product?

No, definitely not. But I think that has to do with a combination of factors:
  • I started using Macs in 1996, where Apple would stop supporting a CD-Rom or HD from one upgrade to the next. There was no Macrumors at that time, but in the science community it was generally accepted that this happens.
  • The demographic here has become more young and vocal, but many lack business experience and / or knowledge. Hence all these discussions about innovation, copying, patents etc. I learned not to discuss topics that I don't fully understand, but many here are not inhibited by such thoughts.
  • Many companies are mimicking Apple's business model in parts and are becoming true competitors. A good example is Samsung. In some instances Samsung is even more successful than Apple, such as store display positioning and design (although they still make the ill-advised mistake of displaying dummies in stead of functioning products). People can more easily compare between Apple and its competitors.
  • Apple has grown and more people own Macs or related products. This has increased visibility, scrutiny and has enlarged opinions. It is now more easy to rally a group behind a certain vision.

This last point happens all the time on this board, as was the case on the related topic where people mistook the ATV first generation service malfunction as a planned and deliberate thing. From a business point of view it doesn't make any sense for Apple to do this, but there is no way to discuss this in a fact based manner or by the usage of clear business logic.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
No, definitely not.
[*]I started using Macs in 1996, where Apple would stop supporting a CD-Rom or HD from one upgrade to the next. There was no Macrumors at that time, but in the science community it was generally accepted that this happens.

This (and the rest!) is reassuring to hear. Too many people here seem to reminisce the 'old' :apple: through rose-tinted glasses.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Is there a reason the original article about an outage was front page news, but this is relegated to the sidebar? :confused:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Is there a reason the original article about an outage was front page news, but this is relegated to the sidebar? :confused:

"Hey, have you heard? The 1st gen Apple TVs suddenly can't connect to iTunes with no statement from Appple, this might give a clue to what's coming next! Also, DAE planned obsolesce???"

or

"Hey, have you heard??? The 1st gen Apple TVs can connect to iTunes again after the few days it was out. I guess this means...well...I guess there isn't really anything business-related that is notable about this...I mean... it's kind of what we would expect to happen, right?"

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
my gen 1 ATV is now sadly dead, HDD failed and i have no idea, after putting in a new (spare) HDD, how to get it to restore itself, looks like with the OS gone i cant get back up and running without obtaining an image from a working ATV1

and for the 75quid i can pick the ATV puck up on amazonuk it hardly seems worth the bother, but i will miss the 100+gb of local storage that meant i could take the device around to a friends house for bad movie night, cant do that with the new ATVs because i cant stream my iTunes library of TV and Movies from his house

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
my gen 1 ATV is now sadly dead, HDD failed and i have no idea, after putting in a new (spare) HDD, how to get it to restore itself, looks like with the OS gone i cant get back up and running without obtaining an image from a working ATV1

On eBay there are spare HDD's with ATV-OS and even with Jailbreak. Have a look too at the ATV1 section on www.hackint0sh.org for a repair guide.

Last edited:

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Most likely not even this silences the conspiracy theorists....

must say i didnt expect this kind of lowbrow post from you.

as one poster on here said that the disconnection fit apples recent behavior to a T and when apple dosent communicate at all there is nothing wrong with people speculating. if you want to call them conspiracy theorists (although i think you ought to look that term up) do that but they have been created by apples behavior. if anything its a sad indictment of apple that one could even speculate this to be an intentional act.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
must say i didnt expect this kind of lowbrow post from you.

Thank you for that compliment and apologies. It was actually a reaction to the other thread which totally went haywire with people claiming this service downtime was all intentional. I didn't see you there, so maybe you missed that one.

as one poster on here said that the disconnection fit apples recent behavior to a T and when apple dosent communicate at all there is nothing wrong with people speculating. if you want to call them conspiracy theorists (although i think you ought to look that term up) do that but they have been created by apples behavior. if anything its a sad indictment of apple that one could even speculate this to be an intentional act.

Although I agree that Apple pursues specific strategies to generate upgrade behaviour, it is clear to a logical thinking person that this was not such a situation. The thread that I mentioned was immediately flooded by rabid posters claiming there is some grand strategy that dictated that the ATV 1st generation "must die now" to make way for a new Apple TV.

Again, I can see Apple promoting upgrade behaviour, but it is absolute nonsense that any company would close a service to entice people to buy an as yet not-announced and certainly not-released product. It would actually have the opposite effect, since people owning ATV 1st generations are likely not quickly swayed by new products (otherwise they would have already upgraded). It is more likely that shutting down a service would promote those consumers to leave Apple and search for alternatives.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Thank you for that compliment and apologies. It was actually a reaction to the other thread which totally went haywire with people claiming this service downtime was all intentional. I didn't see you there, so maybe you missed that one.

Although I agree that Apple pursues specific strategies to generate upgrade behaviour, it is clear to a logical thinking person that this was not such a situation. The thread that I mentioned was immediately flooded by rabid posters claiming there is some grand strategy that dictated that the ATV 1st generation "must die now" to make way for a new Apple TV.

Again, I can see Apple promoting upgrade behaviour, but it is absolute nonsense that any company would close a service to entice people to buy an as yet not-announced and certainly not-released product. It would actually have the opposite effect, since people owning ATV 1st generations are likely not quickly swayed by new products (otherwise they would have already upgraded). It is more likely that shutting down a service would promote those consumers to leave Apple and search for alternatives.

but you think those views are born out of apples actual actions or just really rabid lunatics who bash every action and decision apple makes?

i find it sad to think that that may be the reason for whatever quirk there is going on at the moment and i think apple should address its customers to diffuse situations like this.

so in short i think their past/current behavior and lack of communication is where the blame lies and what needs to be addressed and fixed by apple.

btw how is it going with the 5c in the netherlands?

Last edited:

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
On eBay there are spare HDD's with ATV-OS and even with Jailbreak. Have a look too at the ATV1 section on www.hackint0sh.org for a repair guide.

Sweet, but, with googles chromcast supporting plex "kindoff" i just take my iPhone with me now and can stream my entire library over the air, As probably only 1% of my library in iTunes is actually itunes encrypted this works fine for me. (Yay for unlimited Data plans :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.