Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
SF
I've been dealing with Craigslist for 10+ years and eBay for 14+. I've bought and sold many things from small items to real cars in many price ranges over the years. I thought I've seen most of it including being offered to pay for my items with sex and drugs (although no Rock'n'roll so far for some reason). :)

But for the first time ever I finally got paid in counterfeit money! They were pretty good fakes, even the cops said so. Plus it was at night which made it difficult to see them properly. The main thing that finally gave them away was the paper texture was completely different. Then I started noticing odd things about the bills when it was time to spend it. So now I'm out $620. The only thing that makes it less horrible is that this is a federal offense and maybe I'll get my taxesworth of retribution from the gov't to this inspiration-for-birthcontrol who conned me out of money.

Lesson to everyone who uses Cl: next time you sell something big on Cl for cash bring a counterfeit money pen with you. Feel the money when you count it. Look at the watermarks. Make sure you don't get gypped!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Wow... I wonder if you got a real name or how about a license tag? On the law enforcement side, I wonder how much effort is put into something like this?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Counterfeiting is taking pretty seriously so I would imagine that this will be passed to the Secret Service. Sorry this happened to you, OP.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Crazy. I wonder if it's a good idea to ask for a drivers license / ID before doing bigger transactions.

Some people might not agree, but just asking to bring an ID might keep the fraudsters away.

-t

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Crazy. I wonder if it's a good idea to ask for a drivers license / ID before doing bigger transactions.

Some people might not agree, but just asking to bring an ID might keep the fraudsters away.

-t

If they can get counterfeit money, they can get a fake ID.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
Easiest thing to do is get a counterfeit detector pen and check for the watermarks. Around here a common way people counterfeit the money is to take a $5 and wash it out so it is basically blank and then print a $100 on it. It feels real and the pen marks it as real since it is real currency, but when you check the strip and watermark you can tell it is a $5 not a $100. Several thousand dollars were spent at local businesses in this way before people realized.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
SF
Wow... I wonder if you got a real name or how about a license tag? On the law enforcement side, I wonder how much effort is put into something like this?
The guy wasn't driving or at least he parked far away. He seemed nervous on the phone and somewhat in person too. That should've tipped me off. I went straight to cops who took the "evidence". I gave them his number and description but my guess is that this is pretty small potatoes. They won't do much unless he starts spreading it around and they'll get a lot of complaints on him. But we'll see.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
The other way round this is meet at a bank, and hand the money direct to a teller. It's what i have done when selling motorbikes, and is definitely worth the hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.