Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SunnyFL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Been looking at these cloud storage options and was about to snap up a 1TB Transporter then I came up on the WD My Cloud. I can't really find a good side by side comparison of the two but at this point seems like the WD 3TB is about $75 less then the Transporter. I also like the fact that my Samsung Samsung Smart TV can see the drive and I do not see that as being an option on the Transporter. Anyone have any experience with either or both?

Last edited:

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
As I understand it, the Transporter is conceptually different from any other cloud storage in that it employs a peer-to-peer scheme to create the cloud.
In a nutshell, it's the same idea that Skype, eMule and Torrenting are built on. No central repository but a distributed one created and shared among all the participants.

SunnyFL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
So it sounds like to me that if I do not have a lot of family or business associates that I plan to share data with, I really do not need the transporter. The WD My Cloud will also give me better options as far as home media goes it sounds like.

Thanks

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I was looking into buying a time capsule and end up buying the AirPort Extreme AC and the My cloud I am very happy with the decision.
I can get to the MyCloud from all my devices: PS3, TV, iPhone, iPad, Mac, and from any other through an internet browser.
TimeMachine also works fine! Just be patient with the initial backup if you are planning on using it for that too.
I will get another one sometime soon.

SunnyFL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
I was looking into buying a time capsule and end up buying the AirPort Extreme AC and the My cloud I am very happy with the decision.
I can get to the MyCloud from all my devices: PS3, TV, iPhone, iPad, Mac, and from any other through an internet browser.
TimeMachine also works fine! Just be patient with the initial backup if you are planning on using it for that too.
I will get another one sometime soon.

I ended up getting the 3TB my cloud drive. I have faced some challenges getting it set up but I am slowly working through them. Apparently there has been a recent job update it is cost some issues when trying to log in on a remote computer. WD is supposedly working on a fix. The other thing I am not quite sure and what to do about it, when I log in to the Cloudrise using my Windows PC at work I see all the DS_store files on the drive and the folder structure is a little wacky. I also ave a bunch of duplicate files. One bend named ._filename.pdf and the other just filename.pdf. The ._ will not open and they all seem tp be 4096kb. I only see them on the windows XP machine and not via the IOS app or the local iMac connected to the same network.
I am still up in the air about the whole thing, it would not take much more for me to pack it up and send it back but I am trying to work through the issues I really wanted to work.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I ended up getting the 3TB my cloud drive. I have faced some challenges getting it set up but I am slowly working through them. Apparently there has been a recent job update it is cost some issues when trying to log in on a remote computer. WD is supposedly working on a fix. The other thing I am not quite sure and what to do about it, when I log in to the Cloudrise using my Windows PC at work I see all the DS_store files on the drive and the folder structure is a little wacky. I also ave a bunch of duplicate files. One bend named ._filename.pdf and the other just filename.pdf. The ._ will not open and they all seem tp be 4096kb. I only see them on the windows XP machine and not via the IOS app or the local iMac connected to the same network.
I am still up in the air about the whole thing, it would not take much more for me to pack it up and send it back but I am trying to work through the issues I really wanted to work.

I haven't have any issues with it.
Have you updated the firmware?

About the files that start with ._ there reason why you don't see them in the apple devices is because those are hidden files, they are hidden in Mac OS X, however in you Mac you will be able to see them in the Unix Terminal (like the DOS command prompt in Windows XP).

The MyCloud comes by default with some "Shares" that act like partitions or folders, where you can store things, and you can create multiple users and determine who can access what.

If you connect to the dashboard with the user that has the privileges to administer it you can verify that everything is setup like you want it to be.

34edr2g.png

SunnyFL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
I haven't have any issues with it.
Have you updated the firmware?

About the files that start with ._ there reason why you don't see them in the apple devices is because those are hidden files, they are hidden in Mac OS X, however in you Mac you will be able to see them in the Unix Terminal (like the DOS command prompt in Windows XP).

The MyCloud comes by default with some "Shares" that act like partitions or folders, where you can store things, and you can create multiple users and determine who can access what.

If you connect to the dashboard with the user that has the privileges to administer it you can verify that everything is setup like you want it to be.

Yes I did the firmware upgrade first thing that's where I ran into some problems. It just kept saying initializing and would go no further, then when I wanted to add a user it would get stuck updating. I had to call the concierge service and they had me do a reboot on the drive it seems to be working better now. So why is the Matt putting that._Files on the drive what do they serve?

From what I have read this recent Java 7 update has caused issues with my cloud I think some of the issue may be that I am writing in old windows XP Machine at work that may not be 100% compatible with the my cloud drive.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
@McGiord Will anything that comes with MyCloud enable Dropbox-like or iCloud-like syncing functionality to a folder on each client device? Or at a minimum client computers? Something like this...

Mac folder <---> MyCloud folder <---> PC folder

...where any change on one client folder would flow thru MyCloud to the other client folder.

SunnyFL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
@McGiord Will anything that comes with MyCloud enable Dropbox-like or iCloud-like syncing functionality to a folder on each client device? Or at a minimum client computers? Something like this...

...where any change on one client folder would flow thru MyCloud to the other client folder.

Not the way it looks to me but from what I have seen wich is not much on it the a Transporter is supposed to work a little more like you describe. I think.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Sigh.... The Transporter for USB drives is only USB 2.0. The version that houses an HDD is ~$150 + cost of a HDD. And the whole setup is unusable for comprehensive system (Time Machine etc.) backups, so you still have to get some other drive/NAS for that. I'd really like that functionality via NAS but not sure I can justify $200+ for something that doesn't also handle system backups.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle

With the MyCloud you are always connecting to the cloud (your MyCloud HDD). There are no local copies to sync.
In the Finder the volumes mount and behave like any other volume.

----------

Yes I did the firmware upgrade first thing that's where I ran into some problems. It just kept saying initializing and would go no further, then when I wanted to add a user it would get stuck updating. I had to call the concierge service and they had me do a reboot on the drive it seems to be working better now. So why is the Matt putting that._Files on the drive what do they serve?

From what I have read this recent Java 7 update has caused issues with my cloud I think some of the issue may be that I am writing in old windows XP Machine at work that may not be 100% compatible with the my cloud drive.

Not sure about its behavior in Windows XP. By the way Microsoft is ending their support for XP sometime soon. Time to upgrade.
I have a virtual Machine with XP and could try it.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
With the MyCloud you are always connecting to the cloud (your MyCloud HDD).

Not when either of my laptops is away from my network, so I must have a set of local files on each. When I return to my network I'd like any changes made to sync back to the network and the other client computer. That way I can pick either laptop and go, knowing each will always have a current data set.

Someone ought to tell WD that in the real world computers (laptops) are not always network connected. And unlike smartphones that have near-universal data connection, most laptop users are wi-fi only, so they're not data connected 24/7/365.

elviorion

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
Not when either of my laptops is away from my network, so I must have a set of local files on each. When I return to my network I'd like any changes made to sync back to the network and the other client computer. That way I can pick either laptop and go, knowing each will always have a current data set.

Someone ought to tell WD that in the real world computers (laptops) are not always network connected. And unlike smartphones that have near-universal data connection, most laptop users are wi-fi only, so they're not data connected 24/7/365.

If you have an internet connected smart phone why not tether your laptop? In my case the external storage isn't so much to use as a means of backup but as true storage to make up for the puny hard drives in my MacBook pro and my wife's MacBook air. I'm still on the fence but can't really see a reason NOT to pull the trigger on the wd my cloud so far

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.