Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Description makes it look like a Magic Trackpad, only much narrower. Also, I am against using the power button for more than one or two common functions, plus a special function to be used for debugging. Especially as the power button on a Bluetooth device is already used both to power a device and make it visible.

Sure the button-less design is neat, but don't you think you should at least provide a visual cue where the active surface is? Apple has already tried one button-less design, and it failed.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
- i'd change the form factor - the apple remote does not sit good in the hand, because of it's sharp edges. also, the metal always feels cold.

- i like the touch-navigation - but i'm not sure if a device with much more height than width should provide touch-pad-navigation for a device with more width than height.

- i'm also skeptical about the the button - it seems ergonomically placed...but to small to be pressed comfortably - also it doesn't look too good to me from a aesthetical perspective - maybe change the color or make a depression for the button to lie in.

- change the font

still, i'd very much prefer your design to the current one with it's wobbly buttons. and everything is better with bluetooth :)

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I applaud your efforts and thoughtfulness on design.

For me, I am I guess more old school in that I like having some buttons for specific tasks and found the original Apple remote a bit lacking. There always seems to be a modern take on design that is form over function.

Though we may differ on what makes a remote good, please continue what you are doing and know that some of us from a different school of thought appreciate youth that seize the opportunity to be creative.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
- i like the touch-navigation - but i'm not sure if a device with much more height than width should provide touch-pad-navigation for a device with more width than height.

Think this is a key point, and it's going to be hard to accurately navigate a big, wide UI with such a narrow 'trackpad'. If the tracking speed is high, it's hard to be accurate; if it's low it takes a lot of swipes to get across the screen. Adjusting based on how fast the user flicks their finger (as posted) may work but it's only a small distance to flick across to determine the speed, that might be hard to do accurately.

I like the simplicity of it - but it might suffer from the same challenges as all gesture-based UIs: there's no obvious hint on what gestures work where (unlike physical buttons or WIMP based GUIs) so it requires a bit of trial and error.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
Rent-free in your head
Wow I really admire your kindness, you don't see that often on the Internet :)

Now talking about my design, and I basically got a confirmation on my doubts with the design, I have actually thought of all of the flaws, so I appreciate your opinions which I strongly agree with!

My plan is to make a better design taking all of those pointers into consideration, a wider, warmer, more user friendly and more comfortable remote, I've already got some plans. I'll post the result soon.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.