Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:33 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Covering Defense Costs and Damage Awards for Four Patents in Apple/Samsung Case

Google is covering lawyer fees and potential damage awards with regards to four patents in the ongoing Apple/Samsung patent case, according to a report from Re/code, quoting deposition testimony from a Google attorney that Apple introduced in court today.

Google's contractual obligations to defend Samsung relate to a "Mobile Application Distribution Agreement" between the two companies related to the distribution of Google applications, including Gmail on Samsung's Android devices. Samsung called several Google employees as witnesses as part of its defense.

The case between Apple and Samsung is seen by many as a proxy for the larger battle between Google and Apple over the company's respective mobile operating systems.

Quote:
Apple played deposition testimony from Google lawyer James Mccoun, who verified e-mail in which Google agreed to provide partial or full indemnity with regards to four patents as well as to take over defense of those claims.

A Samsung representative said he could not immediately say which if any claims in the case for which Google is in fact providing the defense and indemnity.
Yesterday, Samsung argued that, if it lost at trial, it would only owe Apple $40 million in damages, substantially less than the $2 billion that Apple says it is owed for infringement of five of its patents.

Article Link: Google Covering Defense Costs and Damage Awards for Four Patents in Apple/Samsung Case
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:35 PM   #2
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Google really needs Samsung to stay in the fold
ValSalva is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:36 PM   #3
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Lawyer fees AND potential damages? Didn't Google send Samsung a memo telling them they were copying Apple too closely? It seems like this isn't an Android problem but more of a Samsung problem.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:39 PM   #4
nepalisherpa
macrumors 65816

Poor Google!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:44 PM   #5
lincolntran
macrumors 6502

Google and Samsung. Pathetic.
lincolntran is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:46 PM   #6
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
Lawyer fees AND potential damages? Didn't Google send Samsung a memo telling them they were copying Apple too closely? It seems like this isn't an Android problem but more of a Samsung problem.
The claims Google will cover are related to Android, are not part of Samsung implementation
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:53 PM   #7
MikeAnd
macrumors newbie

Interesting...

Quote:
Yesterday, Samsung argued that, if it lost at trial, it would only owe Apple $40 million in damages, substantially less than the $2 billion that Apple says it is owed for infringement of five of its patents.
It's an open secret that Samsung is trying to decrease its dependence on Google Android (as distinct from forked Android/Android AOSP) – they'd be idiots not to do so. If they were smart, they'd play up the potential damages for the Google-covered patents and try to maximize the payout that Google would have to make.

The bottom line is that Samsung is the only Android OEM making big profits. Thus anything that raises the cost of Google Android hurts their competitors much more than it hurts them, because only Samsung can afford any margin hits. In the long run, it would protect their Android market share and make it that much easier for them to fork Android or go with Tizen.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:56 PM   #8
slffl
macrumors 65816

Google is one of the most anti-American tech companies I can think of.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:58 PM   #9
apolloa
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by slffl View Post
Haha haha haha haha seriously? A major AMERICAN corporation is totally Anti American.... hahaha

And Apple is one of the most anti consumer companies around. What with its way to force you to upgrade at maximum cost.
apolloa is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 05:07 PM   #10
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
This trial has nothing to do with design choices like rounded icons, which is the kind of thing that Google tried to get Samsung to avoid.

This trial is about internal unseen code methods, written by Google.

It's common for the source of such methods to protect their licensees. Microsoft publicly announced that they would defend anyone licensing their Windows phone code, for example.
kdarling is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 05:10 PM   #11
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
Haha haha haha haha seriously? A major AMERICAN corporation is totally Anti American.... hahaha

And Apple is one of the most anti consumer companies around. What with its way to force you to upgrade at maximum cost.
Uhh, many American corporations are "anti-American"...Apple isn't exactly pro-American either but they're at least trying to bring work back to the US.

No major PC manufacturer out there gives you cheap upgrades, not a single one.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
This trial has nothing to do with design choices like rounded icons, which is the kind of thing that Google tried to get Samsung to avoid.

It's common for the source of such methods to protect their licensees. Microsoft publicly announced that they would defend anyone licensing their Windows phone code, for example.
In Microsoft's case, they do not allow the OEM's to mess around with the OS the way Android did/does.
Iconoclysm is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 05:35 PM   #12
kagharaht
macrumors regular

Quote:
That is so 100% true.
kagharaht is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 05:47 PM   #13
BigBeast
macrumors 6502

Oh snap! It just got real–er.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:21 PM   #14
cdmoore74
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagharaht View Post
That is so 100% true.
Did you use google.com to confirm that?
cdmoore74 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:30 PM   #15
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post

Exactly.
samcraig is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:32 PM   #16
Konrad9
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What?
Konrad9 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:34 PM   #17
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad9 View Post
What?
You need not respond to him. He wears Apple-rose-colored-glasses.
samcraig is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:34 PM   #18
aerok
macrumors 65816

Some of comments here really amaze me. How can people be so ignorant?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:35 PM   #19
Kabeyun
macrumors regular

Google'll find it behind the couch.
Kabeyun is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:56 PM   #20
Naaaaak
macrumors regular

IIRC, Apple wanted Sun to indemnify their use of ZFS. Sun said, "no deal" and Apple dropped it entirely after years of effort.

I don't think this situation is unusual. If corporation A licenses something from corporation B, some kind of protection against this very type of lawsuit gives corporation A some reasonable assurances.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:56 PM   #21
apolloa
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclysm View Post
Uhh, many American corporations are "anti-American"...Apple isn't exactly pro-American either but they're at least trying to bring work back to the US.

No major PC manufacturer out there gives you cheap upgrades, not a single one.[COLOR="#808080"]
Ah, I see, you are talking about jobs, well that's the capitalist world you live in buddy, they move all manufacturing to the cheapest place on the planet, then charge you the consumer maximum mark ups, result is massive profit, capitalism at it's very best.

Thankfully, for the whole, where Macs are made they are made pretty well, although I would like a Mac Pro and think it would be nice to have something assembled in America, and I'm British!

As for the upgrades, Apple are the only ones that drop support for your Mac in OSX, thus if you want the latest version you have to upgrade, and Macs aren't cheap. Not to mention iOS devices which are even worst as you'll need to run the latest iOS eventually to get the apps you want.
Upgrading PC's are a lot cheaper.
apolloa is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:11 PM   #22
Radio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Wow you must be republican lol
Radio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:24 PM   #23
cdmoore74
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Some of comments here really amaze me. How can people be so ignorant?
People here are so anti-Samsung they never caught the fact that Apple was suing Samsung to attack Google indirectly. Now that Google has stepped up to the plate we now have Google haters in the house. And because Google is covering 4 out of the 5 patents I'm not sure if people can continue to call Samsung copycats. I see this war between Apple and Google and that will spoil the relationship.
So I guess now people here are going to close down their Gmail accounts, not use Google maps, avoid YouTube and not visit Google.com. The hate runs deep here so I wouldn't be surprised.
cdmoore74 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:34 PM   #24
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclysm View Post
In Microsoft's case, they do not allow the OEM's to mess around with the OS the way Android did/does.
The amount or topic of the code is immaterial.

Just as Microsoft would only defend code they licensed, Google is only defending code that they wrote themselves.
kdarling is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:39 PM   #25
kagharaht
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
Did you use google.com to confirm that?
Why bother with Google to search when duckduckgo does it just fine.
kagharaht is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion