Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Logitech today announced a new version of its Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover for the iPad Air, iPad mini, and iPad mini with Retina display, offering a new design that includes a flexible multi-angle slot that allows the iPad to be adjusted to different viewing angles.

The Logitech Ultrathin improves the flexibility and design of its predecessor with an even thinner and lighter keyboard cover and new flexible multi-angle slot that allows you to magnetically clip your iPad into the perfect viewing angle.
Like previous versions of the keyboard, the new Logitech Ultrathin is just a fraction of the weight of the iPad, measuring in at 6.4mm thick. It is designed from aluminum to match Apple's iPads and the keyboard includes iOS shortcuts and keys spaced for optimal typing.

Alongside the updated version of the Ultrathin keyboard, Logitech has also announced several new protective cases for Apple's iPads, including the Hinge, the Big Bang, and the Turnaround.

newlogitechcases.jpg
Logitech Big Bang, Turnaround, and Hinge

The Logitech Hinge is an ultra flexible case designed to offer a wide array of viewing angles, while the Big Bang is an ultra-protective, rugged case designed to protect the iPad from drops, spills, and scratches. The Turnaround, like the Hinge, is a multi-angle stand that also allows the iPad to be rotated from portrait to landscape mode and folds up into a stylish clutch.

All of Logitech's new products can be preordered from the Logitech website, at the following price points:

- Ultrathin for iPad Air - $99.99
- Ultrathin for iPad mini/Retina mini - $89.99

- Big Bang for iPad Air - $99.99
- Big Bang for iPad mini/Retina mini - $79.99

- Hinge for iPad Air - $59.99
- Hinge for iPad mini/Retina mini - $49.99

- Turnaround for iPad Air - $59.99
- Turnaround for iPad mini/Retina mini - $49.99

Article Link: Logitech Adds Multi-Angle Viewing to Ultrathin Keyboard, Launches New iPad Cases

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Looks like a nice update. I always wished I could adjust the angle for different positions. Hope the new pop-up magnetic hinge helps keep the ipad secure when closed!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Loved the iPad 2 version but didn't buy it. Tried the iPad Air version and it wasn't as well-made. (Rushed to market?)

Now a new version? I have high hopes!

I'd use a keyboard maybe 20% of the time--enough to buy one, but it needs to come off easily. A magnetic cover would be great.

Best of all it now has dedicated function keys! I missed having one-touch volume/skip/brightness on the old version.

Hope it still works in Portrait (at least at the most vertical angle) which is how I like to type code/documents.

(EDIT: I think I see a new Camera button above the 6. Odd, but hey, why not?)

Last edited:

Ivan0310

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
this is an advertisement not a rumor.

It's a useful product announcement for something of which I was previously unaware. I really don't understand people's being incensed by such posts, calling them advertisements. I appreciate being informed by this site on products and services relevant to my needs as a Mac and iOS user.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
It's a useful product announcement for something of which I was previously unaware. I really don't understand people's being incensed by such posts, calling them advertisements. I appreciate being informed by this site on products and services relevant to my needs as a Mac and iOS user.

That's the point of advertising. To make people aware of your product.

This is more "word of mouth" advertising, but regardless.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Wasn't the innovation with iOS that you don't need a physical keyboard anymore? :confused:

You're remembering correctly: iOS devices work without an external keyboard, and in fact that's how they are almost always used.

An external keyboard is not needed, but rather an option for those people--and those times--when it may be useful.

And you're right: prior to Apple innovation, you did need a physical keyboard to effectively do lots of things that no longer need one.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Srsly???

Than why is everyone so keen to make external keyboards for iOS devices? It just makes no sense.

What does not make sense about it? I am at the library with my iPad mini retina. I have some stuff that I want to type in to pages from a book I'm using for research. If I dictate it I'm being loud and obnoxious. Trying to use an on screen keyboard for this is tedious. So I use my keyboard.

What I fail to see is why this is news when a better product exists.

clamcase.com

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Does it still work if the iPad is in portrait mode or does it rely on the magnets so landscape only?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Than why is everyone so keen to make external keyboards for iOS devices? It just makes no sense.

A product that sells to a small fraction of a massive market can be profitable--that's long since proven.

Imagine a world were the only things you could buy were what everyone wanted, and there was no choice beyond that!

Here's my use: a keyboard-and-stand in one that holds my iPad next to my sofa for firing off emails and web searches, as well as displaying video and album art. I wouldn't carry the keyboard everywhere, but it would be nice for that. And when I do want to carry it, this design is super compact--in line with one of the iPad's benefits over a laptop.

Does it still work if the iPad is in portrait mode or does it rely on the magnets so landscape only?

Based only on trying the previous models (for iPad 2 and iPad Air), I'm cautiously optimistic:

- The magnets provided some extra grip to keep the iPad in the slot, but were not needed. The old version officially supported portrait, and the iPad remained secure when tapping on the screen. Tipping over from a hard touch is the main issue, but it would have to be a really solid jab to make that happen (or sitting on a wobbly surface like a lap maybe).

- In the side views, you can eyeball where the iPad's center of gravity would be. Looks workable to me: as long as more than half of the combined keyboard/iPad weight remains in front of the rear edge, it will still stand upright.

I do notice that the iPad slot is now farther back (and thus could be tippier) to fit one more row of keys. However:

- The rubber support at rear/bottom looks like it touches the ground farther back than the old curved style. That would help.

- The front row of keys used to be extra tall and had more space in front of it. Not true in this design, so that helps make room for those extra keys.

But we'll see! Fingers crossed that reviews are good and portrait is acceptable.

(I'd also hope that the magnets will turn the keyboard on and off automatically, the same way they turn the iPad itsled on and off... But probably not, judging by the switch on the side.)

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Wasn't the innovation with iOS that you don't need a physical keyboard anymore? :confused:

When it first came out on a phone. I find the iPad invites longer writing that really needs the feel and functionality of a physical keyboard. I loved my Logitech for my ipad2

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

clamcase.com

How did I not know about this case? It's beautiful! I love the keyboard layout too. It would be perfection if they could somehow create an aluminum shell for the iPad with an interior rubber lining to reduce scratches and absorb shock. They would just need a window for the Apple logo on WIFI models, and another window for LTE on those models.

I wonder how well this would work with the iPad Mini Retina? I've tried some keyboards with mine and they either don't have a case that protects the iPad, or their keys are too small for my hands—which are only average to maybe slightly above average in size. I hated the layout of the Logitech, where my pinky sat between these awkward half-keys.

I kinda wish Apple made an iPad Air that just came in a tiny MacBook Air enclosure. Maybe throw in a second battery beneath keyboard, a 360° hinge and an SD card port for downloading photos. Make it incredibly thin—close to the thickness of an iPad 4 but this has a keyboard. Charge $200 more and profit! Would have been perfect for me in college a few years ago. Especially now that Microsoft Office is available.

DancyMunchkin

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2014

Some people like/need a keyboard. You don't. Then don't buy a keyboard and don't post in keyboard threads. Really rather simple.

----------

What does not make sense about it? I am at the library with my iPad mini retina. I have some stuff that I want to type in to pages from a book I'm using for research. If I dictate it I'm being loud and obnoxious. Trying to use an on screen keyboard for this is tedious. So I use my keyboard.

clamcase.com

Gudi knows full well why people want/need a keyboard. He/she is being the T word.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
A product that sells to a small fraction of a massive market can be profitable--that's long since proven. Imagine a world were the only things you could buy were what everyone wanted, and there was no choice beyond that!
Imagine a world where all products would make sense, not necessary profit. And there was no choice beyond that! Even if you wanted a thing that made no sense, you couldn't get it anywhere. Utopia Planetia. :)
I wouldn't carry the keyboard everywhere, but it would be nice for that. And when I do want to carry it, this design is super compact--in line with one of the iPad's benefits over a laptop.
I can't argue weight, but besides weight there is little reason not to use a real laptop for typing longer texts. The iPad is so small and light, because it was reduced to the necessary minimum of mobile computing. To add back all the things purposefully omitted, defies the concept of the product. And Apple does offer a light-weight computer with a full-sized keyboard in form of the MacBook Air. That's what writers should use.

Gudi knows full well why people want/need a keyboard. He/she is being the T word.
You call me a Titan?

Atrin1

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Dallas
this is neat and seems light and compact. i've never thought about getting a keyboard for my ipad air, but now that i'm using it more and more instead of my macbook, i'm considering one.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I have the prior version of those and I thought they put the 'A' in an unnatural location.

All in all its a good keyboard. Pretty silent for recording notes in a crowded room without distracting others or annoying your prof.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
It's good that they are offering some adjustability to the viewing angle, but this design is just tremendously awkward to use unless the only place you use it is on a desk/table and don't use it all that often. It's virtually un-usable on your lap.

For about the same price I replaced mine with the Zagg cover which pivots open like a traditional notebook, has a wide range of viewing angles, pushes the keys back from the front edge to give a more natural typing position (the logitech design means the front edge of the keyboard is constantly making contact with your palms and is uncomfortable), and has backlit keys.

The only down-side of the Zagg is that it's not as easy to put together, but at least it doesn't require assembly EVERY time you want to use it like the Logitech design.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Imagine a world where all products would make sense, not necessary profit. And there was no choice beyond that! Even if you wanted a thing that made no sense, you couldn't get it anywhere. Utopia Planetia. :)
I can't argue weight, but besides weight there is little reason not to use a real laptop for typing longer texts. The iPad is so small and light, because it was reduced to the necessary minimum of mobile computing. To add back all the things purposefully omitted, defies the concept of the product. And Apple does offer a light-weight computer with a full-sized keyboard in form of the MacBook Air. That's what writers should use.

You're mistaken that nobody has a use for a Bluetooth keyboard. I can certainly see that you don't!

But when I had the old Logitech I used it often--on a little table next to my couch, with my MacBook Air sitting not far away, where I could grab it but generally didn't want to! Because both devices have different strengths. I'm not adding back "all" the differences and I'm not violating some holy "concept" of what writers "should" use. It's simply a compact keyboard I can use or not as I see fit... perfect! And when I want to walk off to the kitchen continuing my reading or messaging, grabbing the iPad off its slot is much easier then taking a laptop (even my 11" Air).

Never make the mistake of thinking that your own usage and desires are the same as everyone's. Logitech knows what they're doing: these keyboards do sell, and are liked.

And although I myself need a MacBook Air, a lot of people simply have no need of a traditional PC at all, or keep their old slow one around just for occasional use. An iPad is their main/preferred machine, and is better and easier than any laptop for them. Or, add a keyboard and it IS a laptop--better than any other. (Better battery life, WAY easier to do most common tasks such as install and manage software, quick and light and secure.... and a lot cheaper than their second-best choice: a MacBook Air.)

The only down-side of the Zagg is that it's not as easy to put together, but at least it doesn't require assembly EVERY time you want to use it like the Logitech design.

I've heard good things about those Zaggs, and I like that some are backlit.

But I've heard it takes too much force to wedge the iPad in and out of the Zagg's hinge-slot. Enough to make marks on the iPad, and enough that you can't easily grab just the iPad and walk away. Nor can you easily switch between portrait and landscape. The Zagg would be awesome for someone who rarely uses portrait and always wants a keyboard, but as a "sometimes" keyboard user, quick-release is a must for me.

clamcase.com

That's more bulk than I need (and lacks portrait mode) but I do really like the design, with that dual hinge, and I know people who it would be perfect for!

Technically, it doesn't exist yet for the iPad Air, but that's planned:

http://clamcase.com/ipad-air-keyboard-case.html

Also: Belkin has a really nice looking "Qode Thintype" keyboard cover on their site, but it's been "unavailable" for months and was apparently never released. Not sure it ever will be.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F5L155/

Last edited:

xPad

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
No, what makes no sense is acting like an optional keyboard is the exact same thing as always needing a keyboard.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
I like the advertisement. My wife and I own the Logitech Folio case for our iPad Airs and they work brilliantly well. Super-tough and provides great viewing angles. (Little heavy but, as is the common "advice" on these boards: go the gym :)) We've both been interested in the keyboard case for sometime so I may consider buying one to share - not to mention the "Turnaround" which looks pretty awesome.

Logitech make some truly great products. (My Logitech Anywhere MX is coming to three years now; still going strong.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.