Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactastic14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
Hello,

Could anyone please give me some advice on how to bridge two routers via a mac to extend my network. I can find plenty of help using a pc but am not successful on how to do this using my mac.
As I'm on the Macbook Pro retina 2012 I also don't have an ethernet port, so wondered if the configuring can be done by connecting both routers with an ethernet cable?

Many thanks

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hello,

Could anyone please give me some advice on how to bridge two routers via a mac to extend my network. I can find plenty of help using a pc but am not successful on how to do this using my mac.
As I'm on the Macbook Pro retina 2012 I also don't have an ethernet port, so wondered if the configuring can be done by connecting both routers with an ethernet cable?

Many thanks

Bridging two routers generally isn't Client OS reliant. Usually this is a function of the firmware on the routers. All that your Mac would do, is log into the router (whether that is an internal HTML page or something like the Airport app for Apple Airport Express/Extremes).

You'd be better off telling us which routers you are trying to bridge and maybe someone can walk you thru the process for those particular models.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Hello,

Many thanks

What type of routers? Are you extending for wired clients or wireless? Easiest way without additional info: connect primary router LAN port to WAN port on secondary router. Set secondary router to bridge mode if it permits, otherwise, disable it's NAT firewall and DHCP service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.