Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iancheyne

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
Colleyville, TX
Try this

a1rn.jpg

Appropriate for the time of year ... Jackson Square New Orleans.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Really nice stuff!

Could you provide a bit more detail about your process from shooting to using layer masks.
Blast from the past! That post was from '07 :eek:

Prior to the real estate collapse I kept pretty busy in my spare time shooting virtual tours. I used a Nikon D70s, Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye Lens, 360Precision Pano Head and a Manfrotto Tripod/Leveling Base.

Shot around at 4 different exposures and used stitching software by Kekus Digital called PTBatch to put it all together. In Photoshop I would start with the best overall exposure then lay it on top of one that was good for the windows. I would then mask around the windows and erase the bright layer to reveal the darker. It was a process of compromise and very rarely was I completely happy with the result. Except when I got paid. Which came to an end pretty abruptly in '08 when the entire economy tanked as a result of the gold rush in real estate.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Blast from the past! That post was from '07 :eek:

Prior to the real estate collapse I kept pretty busy in my spare time shooting virtual tours. I used a Nikon D70s, Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye Lens, 360Precision Pano Head and a Manfrotto Tripod/Leveling Base.

Shot around at 4 different exposures and used stitching software by Kekus Digital called PTBatch to put it all together. In Photoshop I would start with the best overall exposure then lay it on top of one that was good for the windows. I would then mask around the windows and erase the bright layer to reveal the darker. It was a process of compromise and very rarely was I completely happy with the result. Except when I got paid. Which came to an end pretty abruptly in '08 when the entire economy tanked as a result of the gold rush in real estate.

Thanks very much for sharing. Back when, I did some interior shots and remember what a nightmare lighting can be with respect to windows. Sometimes we masked the windows with gels and sometimes lighting was put outside (gelled to get the right colour temp desired).... This is one exercise that photographers have so much more access to post processing to correct images rather than doing lengthy "set ups" that were even then somewhat hit and miss. Again much thanks for sharing.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Playing around with HDR.
13436923894_b7377c862a_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Not really sure I no what I'm doing with HDR images. Sometimes I look at them and think that works. Other times I just think it looks weird? Let me know your thoughts.

freelancing

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Very timely, as today I tried out HDR for the first time. I used photomatix pro, and haven't bought it yet, so excuse the watermarks. Super easy, but I don't know if it's worth the money yet

I didn't realize Photoshop could do it. The fact that photomatix had a photoshop plugin made me think it couldn't, but now it makes more sense why the plug in is just tone mapping. I might give that a shot too.

[url=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2263/2113039899_fb0b67f0a6.jpg]Image
[/URL]

Nice. I like that it's not overdone. Looks like I'm standing there.

----------

Amazing.

kashura7

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
Clearwater, FL
Bering Sea, Nome, Alaska

In March I traveled to Nome, Alaska on a mission trip with my church. I live in Florida, so Alaska was quite away. Basically, with the time of the year, the lighting was perfect. It was heaven for HDRs. I think this photo is an excellent example.

Any input is appreciated!

IMG_3102.jpg

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
And another one.

Best one yet. Though the clouds look a little weird.

In March I traveled to Nome, Alaska on a mission trip with my church. I live in Florida, so Alaska was quite away. Basically, with the time of the year, the lighting was perfect. It was heaven for HDRs. I think this photo is an excellent example.

Any input is appreciated!

IMG_3102.jpg

I like this. Personally I would reduce the vignetting. To me it's a bit strong and pulling me out of the image rather than into it.

Wow, had to touch my monitor. Great Texture.

Here's one I been working on today. It's just a rough edit so far as I'm not really sure what direction I'm going with it yet. Plus there is a fair amount of ghosting i need to clean up, but otherwise happy with it thus far.

C&C Always welcome.

Click for larger...

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
More subtle than some of my earlier attempts, but I was trying to expose correctly for the sky and the gardens which was difficult in just one shot. Two shot HDR using Nik.
_DSC2714_HDR by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

Comments always welcome.

How do you feel about it? Does is represent the scene the way you wanted it to? The tone mapping looks good, no halos or ghosts, but to me something about the color seems off, though i cant quite put my finger on it.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
How do you feel about it? Does is represent the scene the way you wanted it to? The tone mapping looks good, no halos or ghosts, but to me something about the color seems off, though i cant quite put my finger on it.

I quite like it to be honest. Although not a natural landscape, I really liked the formal lay out of the garden. I think it would be better in the summer when more of the flowers are out.
There were some people walking round which I cloaned out before doing the HDR blend. Figure that helps with the ghosting.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
More subtle than some of my earlier attempts, but I was trying to expose correctly for the sky and the gardens which was difficult in just one shot. Two shot HDR using Nik.
[url=https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5505/14336853741_066f4947c5_b.jpg]Image[/url]_DSC2714_HDR by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

Comments always welcome.

I like this picture - great angle. Don't know if you could have stepped back at all (I know it's not always possible), but if you could you may have saved the top of the chimney on the right.
I had a play with it (shadows/highlights in Photoshop, followed by a temperature boost in Preview) to add warmth and vibrance to the colours. Just my taste, but see what you think.
BTW, while I was playing about in Photoshop it did reveal a few spots which may indicate it's time for a sensor clean, if you haven't done it already.

Attachments

• FlowerBed.jpg
    FlowerBed.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 108

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I like this picture - great angle. Don't know if you could have stepped back at all (I know it's not always possible), but if you could you may have saved the top of the chimney on the right.
I had a play with it (shadows/highlights in Photoshop, followed by a temperature boost in Preview) to add warmth and vibrance to the colours. Just my taste, but see what you think.
BTW, while I was playing about in Photoshop it did reveal a few spots which may indicate it's time for a sensor clean, if you haven't done it already.

I was as far back as I could go without chopping down a hedge.
I like the warmth.
I noticed the sensor spots. The appear every now and then, but all good at the moment.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
I quite like it to be honest. Although not a natural landscape, I really liked the formal lay out of the garden. I think it would be better in the summer when more of the flowers are out.
There were some people walking round which I cloaned out before doing the HDR blend. Figure that helps with the ghosting.

I really like it too. I have grown up, and continue to live in Las Vegas, so sights like this I can only get online, or by traveling a great distance. After seeing Parkin's edit I now know it was the vibrance/saturation of the colors. Here in Vegas we rarely get clouds so it looked a bit un natural to me, but I assume that that's just how things appear over there.

Interesting idea, I had never thought to clone movement out before, but personally I usually leave a ghost or two(only with people) as I like how it can add a bit to a still image by introducing an element of movement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.