Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:17 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Steve Jobs' Infamous Temper Lives on at Apple in Bug-Wrangler Kim Vorrath

Steve Jobs was infamous for his temper, with a famous story about him blowing up at the MobileMe team following a rocky rollout of that service in 2008.

However, Jobs isn't the only employee at Apple with a short fuse. A profile in The Information studies Kim Vorrath, Apple's vice president in charge of "program management" for both iOS and OS X. She supervises Apple's thorough testing process to discover bugs and is the final arbiter of deadlines to ensure that software updates come out on time.

One story in particular, relayed by Business Insider, tells of Vorrath's displeasure when she found out a co-worker was leaving work early before the launch of the first iPhone in 2007.
Quote:
Ms. Vorrath, who has worked on all seven iOS releases, generally operates by asking lots of questions of engineers, sticking to the facts and getting them to explain in plain English why a particular feature should be included in the operating system. She's easy to get along with, say former colleagues, who recall playfully mocking her 1990s feathered hairstyle and late 1980s fashion sense. But she isn't known for chitchat and has been known to "blow up" on occasion when people miss deadlines or make excuses, colleagues say.

During a tense time before the first release of iOS software in 2007, Ms. Vorrath grew irate when a colleague was heading home early before another marathon weekend meeting. She slammed her office door so hard that the door knob broke, and she locked herself in. Mr. Forstall grabbed a baseball bat to try to break her out, people who worked at Apple at the time recall.
The Information says Vorrath has been working at Apple since 1987, starting as an intern and eventually becoming chief of staff for Scott Forstall. Now, she is said to be working directly beneath Apple executive Craig Federighi, who is in charge of Apple's software engineering teams.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Infamous Temper Lives on at Apple in Bug-Wrangler Kim Vorrath
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Steve lives. 
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:19 PM   #3
impulse462
macrumors 65816

"..locked herself in." Sounds like a whiny little ass if you ask me.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:20 PM   #4
xNYMetsx
macrumors Demi-God

Good ol' Scott
xNYMetsx is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:21 PM   #5
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
She slammed her office door so hard that the door knob broke, and she locked herself in. Mr. Forstall grabbed a baseball bat to try to break her out, people who worked at Apple at the time recall.
That's... Violent...
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:21 PM   #6
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Mr. Forstall grabbed a baseball bat to try to break her out, people who worked at Apple at the time recall.
Hahaha, that's hilarious!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:22 PM   #7
losthorse
macrumors member

-- removed by user --

Last edited by losthorse; Jul 15, 2014 at 09:23 PM.
losthorse is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:27 PM   #8
valanchan
macrumors member

She's been working there for nearly 30 years and this shows she's got a hot temper?

Slow news day?
valanchan is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:31 PM   #9
556fmjoe
macrumors 6502a

She has a baseball bat just laying around in her office?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:32 PM   #10
KdParker
macrumors 68030

seems like someone with a bad attitude that should have developed some better management skills in 30 years.

JMHO
KdParker is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:42 PM   #11
Chatter
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse462 View Post
Luckily no one asked you. But you do sound like one, if you ask me.
Chatter is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:50 PM   #12
SHirsch999
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556fmjoe View Post
She has a baseball bat just laying around in her office?
I leave one in my car. You never know when a softball game is going to break out.
SHirsch999 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:51 PM   #13
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Old story. Here's an article (originally from Wired) from 2008 that mentions this: http://www.siliconbeat.com/2008/01/1...istible_force/
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:40 PM   #14
Makosuke
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
Old story. Here's an article (originally from Wired) from 2008 that mentions this: http://www.siliconbeat.com/2008/01/1...istible_force/
Thanks for that link--it mentions the same story, but is phrased much more clearly as to what happened and why there was a baseball bat involved:

Quote:
A product manager slammed the door to her office so hard that the handle bent and locked her in; it took colleagues more than an hour and some well-placed whacks with an aluminum bat to free her.
As worded in the quote on the MR post, it sounds like she intentionally locked herself in and Forestall took up a baseball bat to violently get her out of her office. The Wired story, however, makes it clear that the temper part was her slamming the door so hard that it broke the handle, which trapped her in her own office. The baseball bat was to free her, not force her out. Which makes it clear that, yes, she has a temper, but she's not nuts.

Compare to:

Quote:
She slammed her office door so hard that the door knob broke, and she locked herself in. Mr. Forstall grabbed a baseball bat to try to break her out, people who worked at Apple at the time recall.
It's amazing how much difference the phrasing can make in the way a story is interpreted. While the second quote is technically true, by saying "and she locked herself in" rather than "locking her in" or "trapping her in the room", it leaves it open to wild misinterpretation of what was going on.
Makosuke is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:50 PM   #15
TechGod
macrumors 68020

Quote:
So if a guy did it's OK and he can let of steam but if its a woman with the same reaction, she's a bitch? That's what I interpret it as
TechGod is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:54 PM   #16
samcraig
macrumors G5

Who gets to yell at her? If she's responsible for testing, I'd say quite a few things have gotten past her... And yet she's not the one grabbing headlines on the tech sites as being remotely responsible.

Last edited by samcraig; Apr 23, 2014 at 09:09 AM.
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:07 PM   #17
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthorse View Post
I wonder how hard she slammed the door when iOS 7 was released... and Apple Maps... and Maverics...
Give it a rest.
coolfactor is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:52 PM   #18
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthorse View Post
I wonder how hard she slammed the door when iOS 7 was released... and Apple Maps... and Maverics...
Why do you think Apple is building their brand new campus for?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:53 PM   #19
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

Whatever you do, don't let her see the iOS 7 icons...
mdridwan47 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:13 PM   #20
impulse462
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
Luckily no one asked you. But you do sound like one, if you ask me.
I'm sure. This is a forum where I give my opinion. I think you forgot about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGod View Post
So if a guy did it's OK and he can let of steam but if its a woman with the same reaction, she's a bitch? That's what I interpret it as
Never said she was an ass because she was a woman. If a guy pulled a similar stunt, my reaction would have been the same.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:14 PM   #21
Traverse
macrumors 68000

And here I thought it was relatively piece full in there...
Traverse is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:37 PM   #22
TBV
macrumors newbie

Wait...who's the whiny ass?

Quote:
Just pointing out that this occurred in 2007... What year is this? (It's 2014. Just pointing that out in case you didn't realize.) Also, what's YOUR job? Maybe uneducated college student? Unemployed "computer programmer"? I think you might be doing something wrong in your life...you're not as enough of a "whiny little ass"... Or many too much of one.
TBV is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:51 PM   #23
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
The original story said: "A product manager slammed the door to her office so hard that the handle bent and locked her in".

Hey, we shouldn't judge; excessive stress does different things to different people. If it wasn't for people like her who care that much about perfection, Apple wouldn't be what it is today.

Besides, this kind of stuff probably goes on in many companies with deadlines looming, but we don't hear about it.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:59 PM   #24
CarlosQG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Ms. Vorrath, who has worked on all seven iOS releases, generally operates by asking lots of questions of engineers, sticking to the facts and getting them to explain in plain English why a particular feature should be included in the operating system.
So she's responsible for quick reply still not in iOS?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:54 AM   #25
impulse462
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBV View Post
Just pointing out that this occurred in 2007... What year is this? (It's 2014. Just pointing that out in case you didn't realize.) Also, what's YOUR job? Maybe uneducated college student? Unemployed "computer programmer"? I think you might be doing something wrong in your life...you're not as enough of a "whiny little ass"... Or many too much of one.
My job has nothing to do with it. Also quite to the contrary, if I'm in college, I am getting "educated." I'm liking the personal insults I'm receiving based off of my opinion on this. Also the year it happened has nothing to do with it as I didn't hear about it until now. Unless she was a 12 year old 7 years ago, and then went through puberty, I hardly doubt it makes a difference.

In my opinion, slamming the door and locking yourself in the room because you are angry seems like something a 16 year old would do when told by their parents they can't hang out with friends due to bad grades. It doesn't seem like the behavior of a vice president at Apple. People get angry; it happens. How you deal with it shows your maturity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
The original story said: "A product manager slammed the door to her office so hard that the handle bent and locked her in".

Hey, we shouldn't judge; excessive stress does different things to different people. If it wasn't for people like her who care that much about perfection, Apple wouldn't be what it is today.

Besides, this kind of stuff probably goes on in many companies with deadlines looming, but we don't hear about it.
You are right. Stress does affect people differently, so it may not be my position to judge.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion