Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
I have seen reports that FF OS will be coming to the US this year. The only thing I believe that is available now is http://m.ebay.com/itm/351033890463?cmd=VIDESC . This phone specs are amazingly low. Do you guys think it will come with nicer hardware once it is released in the States (maybe 300-400 dollar range)? Also does anybody have an experience using FFOS? I am looking to switch away from IOS later this year or early next year. I don't want to rule any OS out.

Last edited:

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
If I remember previous stories about FFOS it is to be largely HTML5 based and is designed for the low end market.

It might hit the US this year, but I doubt that any manufacturer will put serious hardware into something destined for FFOS. I see this as an alternative to low end android devices priced $1-200 for devices used on pre-paid plans ... that sorta market.

If you are looking to get off iOS and use a flagship or something close then your options are Android or Windows ... I guess you could reach and see how Sailfish OS or Ubuntu are coming along.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Yeah. I was kinda hoping that it would pick up a little bit and get better hardware behind. I would love to see Ubuntu ship on mobile devices in the US seeing as how I do a lot of my desktop computing with Ubuntu. There was no concrete time table on that last I checked though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.