Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What software version are you running?

• Total voters

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Would I have that option even if it is a replacement computer? And I was thinking about getting a Toshiba, because the last one I had has lasted 6+ years.

My 2013 Air works fine. Since day one, including every update up to 10.9.2..

The only computer I've ever had fail on me was my Toshiba. Hard drive died after ~2 years.

What we think should mean very little to you. Our experience is not yours. If you think a Toshiba will work for you, get one. If you want to keep OS X and think switching to a MBP will be some kind of good luck charm for you, get one.

I wouldn't go back to a Toshiba if it was given to me. Yours lasted 6 years and you're considering another one. See how this could go on all day?

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I vote for "bacon breakfast day" for today.

And you'd better eat that bacon.

Actually, funny that you said that because I did eat bacon today :rolleyes:

----------

My 2013 Air works fine. Since day one, including every update up to 10.9.2..

The only computer I've ever had fail on me was my Toshiba. Hard drive died after ~2 years.

What we think should mean very little to you. Our experience is not yours. If you think a Toshiba will work for you, get one. If you want to keep OS X and think switching to a MBP will be some kind of good luck charm for you, get one.

I wouldn't go back to a Toshiba if it was given to me. Yours lasted 6 years and you're considering another one. See how this could go on all day?

Its just difficult for me to decide because I love the simplicity of OS X. I think that its a great operating system, and I love the style of it. I also love love love the look of the macbook. Im just tired of mine always failing on me.

:mad:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
This thread is not about what OSX version, it's more about why are you having so much trouble with it.

If the same problem(s) re-occur, sadly it maybe a borderline hardware problem, if problems are different, it points to user error.

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
This thread is not about what OSX version, it's more about why are you having so much trouble with it.

If the same problem(s) re-occur, sadly it maybe a borderline hardware problem, if problems are different, it points to user error.

Well, my first one was replaced due to hinge problems. I took it into the store and they literally just handed me a new one. The second one is the one where I had all of the problems. I do not believe that this was due to user error. The only thing that I use my mac for is writing an excessive amount of papers, printing materials for my classes, and reading some of my books as PDFs. Besides that I web surf, mainly sticking to fb, amazon, and my emails. I was not gaming on the computer or doing anything on it that would cause it to act in such a way that it would stop working on me. I would be in the middle of something, like an important conference via Skype, and my computer would stop working. This happened on numerous occasions when I was actively using my computer, until finally it died.

I had never dropped it, spilled anything on it, or so much as scratched it. (I'm really protective of it, as weird as that is)

So I don't know what was wrong with it.

Apple said it was software, and then it wasn't.
Then it was hardware, and then it wasn't.
They didn't know (and perhaps still don't) know what was wrong with it.

lina231

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
It wasn't clear that you had actually gotten a replacement yet. So, how long has it been since you bought the first MBA that came out of the original box?

If it's less than 14 days, then you can probably still return it if you're polite but firm. If it's been more than 14 days, you're probably out of luck.

I've had Macs last that long too. But again, to each their own.

I called apple and they told me to call the store, the store said that they will not swap out my computer. So thats that, Ill just have to deal. Moral of the story, spend a couple more hundred bucks and get the better computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.