Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I could see that, especially for the smaller ipods.

Why would this be an issue or anyone?

Well you might not want a watch, you might want a PMP device you throw in your pocket.

And if you were looking at the iPod touch, the iWatch is unlikely to replace it, as it's likely to have much smaller screen.

I don't think iWatch is replacing iPods, I just think iPods are on their way out.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
$5 billion in sales is too little apparently.

Poor pitiful Apple. Only 5 billion. Oh the greed of it all:mad:. I see folks everyday using their iPods, especially in the gym. Most of my children (ranging from 33 to 43) and most of the grandchildren have iPods. I use my iPod Nano with my bluetooth headphones and wear my Polar fitness watch when working out. My wife uses her's in her car. I personally could not care less about the iWatch. I have some classy watches that I prefer over an electronic gizmo, no matter how revolutionary it may be. Just my opinion.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Much as it would be cool to have an iwatch if the screen is too small what's the point. Replace the nano yes but not the touch. I'm hoping like a lot of other people that they keep the touch going but with a slightly bigger form factor.
you mean the iPad mini? Seriously, it's just an iPad nano as is. Any bigger is a mini.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So is he saying this based things he's heard or is it just a wild guess?

pramirez95

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
Chicago
iPod touch is way inferior compare to iPhone on the same generation.
They need to bump the specs and stop selling outdated hardware.

The exact reason why I switched to iPhone from iPod Touch back in 2011. Apple always treated the touch like the iPhone's little b**ch, with substandard hardware and even charging ONLY the touch customers for software updates back in the iOS 2.0 days.

Of course the iPod cost $200 vs. iPhone's $600 or so (unsubsidized).

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
5 billion is worth keeping a product around!!

Bluetooth.

I knew they were planning something sneaky! Imagine a digital tooth implanted into your head that could receive the wireless signal from the iWatch and then broadcast the sound into your skull. It wouldn't' damage your ear drums or bother anybody else in the room. Brilliant! And it will glow blue!

I want.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The exact reason why I switched to iPhone from iPod Touch back in 2011. Apple always treated the touch like the iPhone's little b**ch, with substandard hardware and even charging ONLY the touch customers for software updates back in the iOS 2.0 days.

Legally, they were required to charge for the software updates. It was the law they were operating under. It wasn't to screw the customer, so chill. They since adopted a different accounting model to fix that.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
iPod sales are down. iTunes music sales are down. It's all because Apple abandoned the click wheel.

The iPod nano used to be such a great iPod. Now it's a hard to use, overly complicated piece of junk. I suspect the iWatch, if we ever see one, will be an extra tiny, hard to use, overly complicated piece of junk.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
iPod sales are down. iTunes music sales are down. It's all because Apple abandoned the click wheel.

The iPod nano used to be such a great iPod. Now it's a hard to use, overly complicated piece of junk. I suspect the iWatch, if we ever see one, will be an extra tiny, hard to use, overly complicated piece of junk.

The ClickWheel is genius. I hope it never dies. An AppleTV remote that uses it to scroll through content would be really cool!

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
That's actually bound to happen in the not too distant future; the devices are getting too thin for the current 3,5 mm jack.

plus wires suck.

----------

Yeah, I was really surprised the iPod Touch didn’t at least get the A6, maybe a camera bump, when they released the 5S/5C. It at least got the 4” display (which is supposed to be as good as the iPhone).

The iPT _seems_ like a great device, and with so many excellent VOIP services, it’s just about as handy as a phone.

I can see the “music only” devices being dropped, but I’d like to see the iPT continue with an update ... maybe we’ll see an A7/8 based iPT in 4.7” :D

I have a current ipod touch, and I think it's just about the perfect device, but would be happy to see a chip and camera upgrade. touch id too.

----------

I would really like to have an iPod similar to the Classic in design but with internals upgraded, thinner, and sporting a newer "classic" OS.

Congratulations, you described the ipod touch. Sounds like you just want one with a half screen and click wheel though.

----------

I have both, ipod touch for house, ipohone for travel. even though ipohne has faster chip and better camera, I prefer the touch almost all the time I can, and am depressed when i leave the house and have to swap it for it's fat brother. 88 grams is nice, and sets the ipod touch ahead for me.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
The ClickWheel is genius. I hope it never dies. An AppleTV remote that uses it to scroll through content would be really cool!

If Apple adopted the click wheel for anything, it would assure I don't use it.

I never found the click wheel to be very helpful for navigation.

Congratulations, you described the ipod touch. Sounds like you just want one with a half screen and click wheel though.

Also, this inherent limitation.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
They won't get rid of the iPod for a while. If it was up to me I would at the least get rid of the nano. You'll have a suffle, a classic, and a touch (hopefully then increasing the capacity the touch and shuffle). But another thing struck my mind, will the iWatch be dependent on an iPod/iPhone? Or will it be its own entity? I'm sure that will play a role in what projects, products, and lines they will change. I also believe that too many products in one line can become a pain in the butt at some point for apple and for the customer. The ball is in your court Apple, please don't disappoint.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Less than $5Billion dollars isn't enough? That's total BS.
iWatch won't replace iPods. Calling it right now.

Revamp the Classic FFS. It needs a bigger hard drive.
Only iPod worthy of my use. With a music collection as big as mine, housing it on any one other iDevice is not possible.

I'll be buying 2 soon. Would be lovely if they were 240GB though.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
Apple realise that music streaming is the future. As long as the iwatch can run iTunes Radio, spotify, rdio, pandora, etc. then it meets my music needs.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
People should stop buying outdated hardware and send a message to Apple.

Yes, but how will Apple interpret that message? We stop buying the iPod Touch because we're waiting for them to update it, and instead Tim interprets that as evidence that no one wants it anymore.

We have five iPods in our family—more than any other Apple product category. Over the years we've been reasonably frequent iPod updaters too… but of course there's no possibility of upgrading when there are no upgrades!

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Caso says Apple has production targets of 5-6 million units, but believes the iWatch will "essentially replace the iPod in the consumer portion of AAPL's product lineup"

Caso is wrong. You don't throw away a $5,000,000,000 (Billion) product line. The iWatch doesn't replace the functions for which I use an iPod. Our family has five iPodTouches. No iPhones because #1) the absurd cost of it being a phone - not needed, #2) we don't have cellular service out where we live. There are large swaths of the USA and the world which don't have cell service. The high cost of the monthly or annual phone subscription plans is an unnecessary expense. We have five iPods but I would never replace them with five iPhones for these reasons.

iWatch is not an iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.