Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:19 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Fixes FaceTime on Older Versions of OS X, iOS 6 Still Not Working

Apple tonight released an update for FaceTime on OS X [Direct Link], which resolves connections issues and is recommended for all FaceTime users currently running OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. The connection issues are presumably related to the problems reported last week which affected both older versions of OS X and iOS 6 versions of FaceTime.

Apple, however, has not yet addressed the problems with FaceTime that are in iOS 6. While it is encouraging that Apple released an update for FaceTime for OS X 10.6, Apple support's recommendations for iOS 6 users has been to upgrade to iOS 7. One user has quoted Apple support as saying that the only fix for iOS 6 is to upgrade to the latest version of iOS 7, with no current plans to release a fix on iOS 6 or iOS 5.

According to Apple's updated FaceTime troubleshooting page, users who are still having trouble with the application are recommended to update to the latest version of iOS or OS X.

Article Link: Apple Fixes FaceTime on Older Versions of OS X, iOS 6 Still Not Working
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:21 PM   #2
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

As an iPod Touch 4 owner, this really sucks. The iPT4 never got an upgrade to iOS 7, and was heavily marketed as an inexpensive way to FaceTime. Thanks, Apple!
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:22 PM   #3
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Ah, I love seeing that icon again. Come to think of it, why would a camera have a lense embedded in the side of it?
AngerDanger is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:23 PM   #4
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
As an iPod Touch 4 owner, this really sucks. The iPT4 never got an upgrade to iOS 7, and was heavily marketed as an inexpensive way to FaceTime. Thanks, Apple!
It got an update to iOS 6 (and bug fixes through February 2014). A lot of people didn't think it would make it that far. It only has 256MB RAM, and no device supported by iOS 7 has less than 512MB of RAM.

The original iPad has similar hardware and runs quite a bit faster, but was dropped at iOS 5.1.1.
Xenomorph is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:25 PM   #5
AppleFanBoy91
macrumors newbie

At least Apple could come out and say they're working on the issue.
AppleFanBoy91 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:25 PM   #6
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
I would imagine that they will fix it eventually. What I don't like is how they pretend to be perfect. I'm sure they are aware of the issue.. So why is it hard to acknowledge the issue and assure customers that they are going to resolve the issue?

With the Apple TV issue, I'm sure they were aware of the issue (otherwise, they couldn't fix a problem that they didn't know about) but they would rather not let their customers who spend lots of money on their products be assured about a resolution.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:29 PM   #7
brendu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
It got an update to iOS 6 (and bug fixes through February 2014). A lot of people didn't think it would make it that far. It only has 256MB RAM, and no device supported by iOS 7 has less than 512MB of RAM.

The original iPad has similar hardware and runs quite a bit faster, but was dropped at iOS 5.1.1.
Not getting updates and having a working service stop working, only to have a company suggest a "solution" that isn't possible for some users (by no fault of their own) is unacceptable. Apple needs to fix it, they can't just stop allowing major services to function. I believe it is some bug that is being worked out and there will be a patch soon. Whoever suggested upgrading to iOS 7 is likely a support rep with no knowledge of the bug causing the problem.
brendu is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:30 PM   #8
Eithanius
macrumors 6502a

At last...!!! Something for Snow Leopard...

But then again it was brought up to fix something that went haywire, not a security update...
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:32 PM   #9
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post

Thats also not a valid excuse. Who was cheap and put only 256MB of RAM in the iPad and 4th gen iPod touch? Yup, Apple did!

Those devices even when they ran iOS 4 (not even the max OS allowed) still sucked when using tabs in Safari. Constantly reloading, some sites wouldn't load with out Safari crashing thanks to the lack of RAM.

Apple could have doubled it to 512MB like the iPhone 4 for pretty much nothing.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:42 PM   #10
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
I would imagine that they will fix it eventually. What I don't like is how they pretend to be perfect. I'm sure they are aware of the issue.. So why is it hard to acknowledge the issue and assure customers that they are going to resolve the issue?

With the Apple TV issue, I'm sure they were aware of the issue (otherwise, they couldn't fix a problem that they didn't know about) but they would rather not let their customers who spend lots of money on their products be assured about a resolution.
Because it probably wouldn't reach the majority of their customers, limiting it to a small minority who surf Apple websites like this or happen to follow them on Twitter or Facebook.

I mean what do you expect, a banner on Apple.com? A push notification?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:52 PM   #11
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
They have to make FaceTime more intuitive at least for the Mac
CrazyForApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:59 PM   #12
Avenged110
macrumors member

Welp I guess no more FaceTime for me. It was fun while it lasted guys ✌
Avenged110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:05 AM   #13
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyForApple View Post
The UI is a bit unconventional, but it's not difficult to use. I just wish it supported a floating window so that I could use other apps without the FaceTime window being hidden underneath.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged110 View Post
Apple released an iOS 6 update as recently as February, so it's likely they will release a fix. There's many iPod touch 4 users out there still. Have faith.
coolfactor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:06 AM   #14
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyForApple View Post
Yes, I don't really understand FaceTime. It automatically has all of my Mac's contacts, but if I want to FaceTime someone I have to guess whether they have FaceTime or not. Why doesn't it show you who in your contacts also has FaceTime?
swingerofbirch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:19 AM   #15
Tork
macrumors regular

I never realized how hideous that old icon is. Wow.
Tork is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:20 AM   #16
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Don't understand the logic behind different network facetime for iOS 6 & 7.

Quote:
Apple support's recommendations for iOS 6 users has been to upgrade to iOS 7
Cheap trick to get people to upgrade.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:24 AM   #17
Rogifan
macrumors G3

So does this apply to devices that cannot upgrade to iOS 7 or is it just those devices that can run iOS 7 but users have chosen not to upgrade? If it's the former they for sure need to fix it. If it's the latter you're probably screwed. But staying on iOS 6 indefinitely is pointless IMO because the ship has sailed and you're not getting an iOS 6 style UI back. So if iOS 7 bothers you that much then I guess it's off to Android or Windows Phone for you. Or you keep the phone you have and don't upgrade.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:37 AM   #18
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
I never realized how hideous that old icon is. Wow.
Pure Mosaic browser icon!
NutsNGum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:38 AM   #19
hexagonheat
macrumors member

Apple: It just works.
hexagonheat is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:45 AM   #20
gto55
macrumors 6502a

gto55 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 01:25 AM   #21
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged110 View Post
In the UK at least, you can still connect and use a 100 year old pulse dialling telephone.

With Apple we're supposed to grateful if something still works after 3 years. Progress
mw360 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 01:45 AM   #22
snprintf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pie View Post
Ah, I love seeing that icon again. Come to think of it, why would a camera have a lense embedded in the side of it?
Haha, same reason there would exist a "FaceTime Audio" mode.

But what's this about fixing it in older versions of OS X? How about ADDING it to older versions of OS X? It only works in the few newest ones. Oh yeah, and they should add it to iChat/Messages already.
snprintf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 01:58 AM   #23
dysamoria
macrumors 6502

Upgrade to iOS 7 to fix something they just broke so that they can push the rest of us into iOS 7? NO WAY.
dysamoria is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 02:31 AM   #24
numlock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
Because it probably wouldn't reach the majority of their customers, limiting it to a small minority who surf Apple websites like this or happen to follow them on Twitter or Facebook.

I mean what do you expect, a banner on Apple.com? A push notification?
yes the sit on your hands method apple implements really is the best by far.

considering facetime needs an apple id (ie an email address) for signup and login they could you know email the people affected.
numlock is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2014, 02:31 AM   #25
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502

These stubborn old IOS 6 users!
OLDCODGER is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion