Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dopperud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2014
I have been having a problem killing clicks or popups on my mac running 10.9.2

I wil get the following URL when ever I get a new window popup:

http://serw.clicksor.com/newServing...2.56.39&utm_term=1-28030957&chkjs=54731069+49
and
data:text/html,<script>window.close();</script>

I am also getting browser windows other ad ware. I run virus scanners from Sophos, Integro, and ClamXAV and they don't touch it. The only thing that will stop it is to turn off JavaScript, but I need that. I cannot find any JavaScript anywhere that matches and I cannot find anything on my system with the name clicksor. I created a new account and the problem did not follow, so it is in just my account.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

frito777

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2014
same problem....

Did you get any fix for this yet? ? I'm having the same problem and its SUPER frustrating. no malware programs are picking it up. Thanks for any help you might have.

mfkeleher

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2014
serw.clicksor malware persists through Safari reset

running Safari 7.0.3 I've reset it, cleaned the cache and deleted all cookies inside Safari and after closing, again in ONYX and restarted. Somehow allow all cookies keeps getting turned back on.

Sure Macs don't get viruses, but if some code is hijacking my operating system to change what it does it's a virus whatever you call it.

I'm also getting persistent random double underlined green links.

I'm also getting persistent download now screens for mplayerx, which is where I imagine the whole thing started.

I've removed java, I've tried it with and without ad blocker enabled, and with and without glimmer blocker to no avail

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Sure Macs don't get viruses, but if some code is hijacking my operating system to change what it does it's a virus whatever you call it.

It might be a Trojan, possibly. But it's not a virus. That has a very specific meaning however you or others care to misuse it.

I suggest you search on how to remove mplayerx and also clicksor.

Though before that check this regards your DNS settings.
http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Virus/Malware_FAQ#Why_am_I_being_redirected_to_other_sites.3F

mfkeleher

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2014
Strange duck-like quacking.

I tried every superstition suggested on that page, and several others as well, to no avail. I spent over 8 hours, remembering what it was like to be a Window's user, except with fewer tools available. Then I downloaded avast! and it found the non-virus because MACs don't get viruses, and fixed the problem.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
So help everyone else out here please, what did it remove? Because you're right, to date Macs don't get virus's. But it could have been a Trojan or even just malware you installed. And it would be useful to everyone to know what it was.

mfkeleher

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2014
avast! fixes problems but doesn't even know Macs don't get viruses

from the obviously misnamed avast! "virus chest:"
libVSearchLoader.dylib had been removed from System/Library/Framesorks...

It had invaded on April 16 and was removed on April 19

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Ok thanks for the info.

So,it seems as I said several posts back, its a Trojan http://news.drweb.com/show/?i=4352&lng=en&c=5.

A Trojan means you installed it yourself.* Most likely when you downloaded and installed an app, either directly or in order to watch content you torrented and was needed to view the same. Probably the mplayerx app you mentioned, wherever you downloaded it from, someone had added the Trojan to it. If it was a usually good source like CNET you could let them know.

All computers are subject to Trojans, because all computers can have users who are careless or clueless about what they install or where it's from :eek:

*A virus would install itself silently with no help from you at all, and would propagate itself to other computers by piggy backing onto your emails or USB sticks etc. this doesn't do that it requires the user to spread it.

mfkeleher

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2014
You're welcome

Better to have been right about the fix than try to make semantic points. I'll go with the avast! naming convention.

Here's another source that sees a browser hijacker as a virus: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/types-computer-viruses-watch/. Oregon State seems to have a contrary opinion too: http://oregonstate.edu/helpdocs/safety-and-security/computer-viruses-fraud/computer-viruses

Apple may not be as prone to some types of viruses, but to narrow the definition down simply to say Apples are virus free serves no useful purpose except to those who might prey on blissfully ignorant Apple users.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
There is a massive difference between a virus and other types of malware, because it's user actions that install the other types. To pretend it wasn't your own carelessness that installed malware on your computer makes people more vulnerable by believing that they can install any old crap from any dubious site and a "virus checker" will protect them.

mfkeleher

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2014
So long to this thread

This last post is just an experiment to test if you automatically respond with the same points each time whether or not new information had been introduced by your correspondent. Your opinion is clear as is that of others, who disagree with you in this matter.

Being able to debug a problem is greatly aided by the ability to imagine other approaches. Maybe that's why the repairs offered by others were the ones that worked. As for me, I've learned that relying on the assertion that Apples don't get viruses when a site I've used many times suggests that a new piece of software is necessary is reckless, and those making such assertions are not helpful.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apple may not be as prone to some types of viruses, but to narrow the definition down simply to say Apples are virus free serves no useful purpose except to those who might prey on blissfully ignorant Apple users.
OS X is virus-free, but it is not malware-free. While many in the general population may incorrectly refer to all malware as viruses, this is a tech forum, so being technically accurate is appropriate when sharing information. In the same way, you may go to your doctor with the "gunk", but you don't expect your doctor to refer to it as "gunk". You expect your doctor to be accurate in describing your condition, even if it means you have to learn new definitions or words.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.