Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMatamoros

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
Why not just lower the adjustable chair and save the $$$? I know there are a lot of non adjustable chairs but for me this is just a waste of money.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Frankly to me, the proportions look all off kilter now. It's too tall and looks top heavy.

Sometimes a solution cannot simply be an add-on. Design is a process in where a lot of experimentation occurs. To simply tack on something that was never intended to be there in the first place is doing the design an injustice.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
My question to the creator of this on kickstarter:

At the moment I use a thick folded towel as an iMac stand, for the height and as a HDD vibration dampener. My question is will your iMac stand (that looks amazing) have any HDD vibration dampening qualities? At the moment, without the towel, the desk vibrates and I can feel it with heavy iMac HDD use.

Thank you for the great kick starter idea.

His reply:

Jim --

Yes, the feet are silicone so they should do some dampening. Best thing I ever did was put an SSD in my iMac - super fast and no spinning parts.

Thx,
Casey

Sure an internal SSD is nice. But I need 1TB internal. Still I think he answered my question in a roundabout way.

Stephen123

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
I want something with proper height and also rotation. When an iMac is on the desk it is easy to turn. On this stand (and many other’s it’s not). Products designed for smooth rotation tend to not have elevation and vice-versa.

So for not I guess it’s got to be a Vesa iMac and a monitor arm. :-(

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Why not just lower the adjustable chair and save the $$$? I know there are a lot of non adjustable chairs but for me this is just a waste of money.

what if the current sitting position is the ergonomically correct one?

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I would have preferred the base to be large enough to house either an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule underneath, but in playing devil's advocate with myself, I guess that could only really apply to the older generations of.

The latest generation of those devices stand vertically, so they wouldn't fit in a monitor riser - and as far as designing them to hold the previous gen AEBS or TC, why would you design a brand new product capable of holding a previous generation apple product?

Dades

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
"The perfect height" - in a world where desks, chairs and torsos comes in one-size only, maybe.

Just looks like a big ugly chunk of metal to me. And rough around the edges to boot.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
The latest generation of those devices stand vertically, so they wouldn't fit in a monitor riser - and as far as designing them to hold the previous gen AEBS or TC, why would you design a brand new product capable of holding a previous generation apple product?
did you read the last part of my comment stating that it would only work with older devices? And that I was playing devils advocate? Meaning I was creating an argument against myself.

And as for why, because there are a ton of them out there and it's really the only option as far as that kind of thing goes. Give it some purpose, a little more purpose than it has now. That space is pretty small.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Just because we pay a lot for Apple kit every tom dick and Harry thinks that they can charge lots for a bit of aluminium. Their iPhone stand was also overpriced tat. So many snake oil merchants out there riding on Apples coat tails.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
did you read the last part of my comment stating that it would only work with older devices? And that I was playing devils advocate? Meaning I was creating an argument against myself.

And as for why, because there are a ton of them out there and it's really the only option as far as that kind of thing goes. Give it some purpose, a little more purpose than it has now. That space is pretty small.

Sorry....totally missed the last few words of the last sentence. :eek: I do agree it is just wasted space now. I'd never get one of these since the issue I have is my iMac sits too high as it is (I have the older 24" with a larger "chin"), so I purchased a VESA adapter and desk mount to be able to lower it.

Rian Gray

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
NJ, United States
Like the idea, but won't invest (actually donate) in this project. Kickstarter itself is already a half way scam, I'm not sure would I like the end product of this project.

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
Why are all these videos always in the same style? The uplifting music, narrating with production footage being shown. Seems like everyone is trying to copy Apple's videos. Can't these people just make their own style and come up with a different idea to showcase their products.

Yeah...it's almost getting to be silly with everybody trying to "channel"
Jony Ive . I don't like the way it's mainstreamed "self aggrandizement" into entrepreneurial marketing videos.

It's a computer stand OK. It's not a Rothko painting alright. But even Rothko went a little heavy on "overhyping" his genius.

iMatamoros

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
what if the current sitting position is the ergonomically correct one?

Yes that could be the case, but it would only be a minority, besides apple and their team of industrial designers probably took consciousness into the sitting positions from various user to provide the best ergonomically to the majority of the users with some minor exceptions like the one you said.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Yes that could be the case, but it would only be a minority, besides apple and their team of industrial designers probably took consciousness into the sitting positions from various user to provide the best ergonomically to the majority of the users with some minor exceptions like the one you said.

so because apple is a huge company everything they do must be right?

having used an imac for almost 8 years now there is a flaw in the design. my chair is in the correct height, my desk is in the correct height but the imac is 5" or so below the recommended height.

https://www.apple.com/about/ergonomics/vision.html

can you tell me how i can sit in the correct position, have my desk in the correct position and follow apples own guidelines regarding screen height with an imac and everything that comes in the box?

and i am in the minority of being similar in height as tim cook and steve jobs.

iMatamoros

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
so because apple is a huge company everything they do must be right?

having used an imac for almost 8 years now there is a flaw in the design. my chair is in the correct height, my desk is in the correct height but the imac is 5" or so below the recommended height.

https://www.apple.com/about/ergonomics/vision.html

can you tell me how i can sit in the correct position, have my desk in the correct position and follow apples own guidelines regarding screen height with an imac and everything that comes in the box?

and i am in the minority of being similar in height as tim cook and steve jobs.

Like I said, most of the users won't have a problem, and the recommended sitting position is exactly that... RECOMMENDED... its not mandatory, the best sitting position for using any kind of PC is the one that you feel most comfortably using for hours and hours, what they tried to do was a one size fits all, but there is still some people that are either too short or too tall and this product is for that minority. The average world human height is around 169cm.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Like I said, most of the users won't have a problem, and the recommended sitting position is exactly that... RECOMMENDED... its not mandatory, the best sitting position for using any kind of PC is the one that you feel most comfortably using for hours and hours, what they tried to do was a one size fits all, but there is still some people that are either too short or too tall and this product is for that minority. The average world human height is around 169cm.

the average human height may 169cm but that does not mean that the average height of apple customers or computer buyers is that short. i dont think the pygmies and such should be included.

but what you are saying may be all fine and good but then how can you not agree with my point of view that the imac design is flawed and should have an adjustable height? that is the easiest solution and would suit everyone.

the position you are sitting in for hours and hours may feel fine today but can give you long term problems if its not proper.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Uh the twelve south hi rise seems better to me. It's adjustable height too. Also has space for storage. It's got a height that's even with the atd too

teocaf

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
I am sure this is over engineered....milling a solid billet of Aluminium is wasteful and manufacturing costs increase in material and time per unit. I am equally sure that an extrusion could be manufactured which could be cost effective on the savings made from having minimal wastage. It needs an auto cutter setting to the width, after which the holes can be drilled and ready for finishing.
The strength of an extrusion is the same as milling a shape from a solid block.

This is not milled from a solid aluminum block. It is in fact an aluminum extrusion with secondary milling operations like the hole, the chamfers, etc. The solid aluminum billet they mention is what gets put into the extrusion machine which they briefly show a part of on the video. There is nothing exotic about how they make this--it's a marketing video so they showcase certain aspects and name drop like you would expect them to in these things--a lot of fluff and very little substance. To me it's funny how they show all the other options for stands at the beginning because that would certainly sell me on those instead of this. In the real world who cares if the little space under your monitor is free of junk because the rest of the space, on my desk anyway, is full of stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.