Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
Pause and restart should fix the "slow download" problem..

----------

Does ESO have a day night cycle? Most of the gameplay videos I've seen appear dark. Thanks!

Day, night and lunar phases also influence the gameplay in various ways...

Vampyres and werewolfs are in the game, players can become one of them with both advantages and disadvantages.....

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Pause and restart should fix the "slow download" problem..

----------

Day, night and lunar phases also influence the gameplay in various ways...

Vampyres and werewolfs are in the game, players can become one of them with both advantages and disadvantages.....

In Skyrim, I don't remember the restrictions. I did the werewolf quest and as I recall you could become a werewolf when you wanted to, not forced to based on the moon? Anyway I did not like the restrictions although I can no longer remember what they were :p and went through the quest to undo werewolf. How about vampires? Are they limited only to night when outside or do they have their daylight rings? (Vampire Diaries ref) :p If restricted to night, I think that could be a real pain in a game like this.

EllenStroud

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2014
Thanks for the impressions.
What would you say is the 'kicker' is for the game?
Obviously Skyrim had its Dragons, WoW was just the biggest as well as a big history for the genre. I know ES has this as well, but just thinking what will keep me on it.

Personally didn't like WoW, they style was garish, but its accessible.
Played FF11 for a long time, but think the style must of kept me to it because I cant think of what else did. Was a horrid grind.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks for the impressions.
What would you say is the 'kicker' is for the game?
Obviously Skyrim had its Dragons, WoW was just the biggest as well as a big history for the genre. I know ES has this as well, but just thinking what will keep me on it.

Personally didn't like WoW, they style was garish, but its accessible.
Played FF11 for a long time, but think the style must of kept me to it because I cant think of what else did. Was a horrid grind.

I played FFXIV for about 3 months before giving up on it. One innovation was that you could play multiple classes on one toon. Although it was beautiful, the problem was that they did not have enough quests for multiple classes played by the same toon and it was grindy, and the low level dungeons were mundane. The search continues and for some reason, maybe BTDT, I'm hesitant to launch into ESO.

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
AFAIK Vampyres has limitations based on blood thirst...when you are well fed you have strong bonuses...if you do not feed you'll loose all the benefits and start to have problems. They are also more vulnerable to fire-based spell....

the moon phases influence the behaviour of werewolf MOB.....

I am still level 20...did not encounter the Vamp and Wolfman questline yet so i do not have first hand experiences.....

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
AFAIK Vampyres has limitations based on blood thirst...when you are well fed you have strong bonuses...if you do not feed you'll loose all the benefits and start to have problems....

the moon phases influence the behaviour of werewolf MOB.....

I am still level 20...did not encounter the Vamp and Wolfman questline yet so i do not have first hand experiences.....

If you are referring to Skyrim, I never played vampire, did you have to feed on characters to stay well fed, and could you kill them feeding or as an attack method? How about for ESO?

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
No i am referring to ESO only...

You cannot feed on players, except in pvp i think (but i am not sure since i did not menage to become a vampyre yet)...

BTW you can once a week turn another player of your faction into a vampyre.

Vampyres have also a set of active and passive abilities in addiction to your normal class and weapon abilities...

http://esohead.com/skills#category:4;line:51

Werewolfs, on the other side, have thair abilities that are exclusive, when you transform into a werewolf your action bar changes and you can use only werewolf abilities

http://esohead.com/skills#category:4;line:50

I plan to be a Nightblade tanking Vampyre, for his passive resistence to damage, AOE abilities, and health regeneration....

Last edited:

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
Anyone playing this on a mid 2012 Retina Macbook Pro (2.6 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB)? Curious how well it runs. I would play it using my Thunderbolt display, so native retina resolution won't be an issue.

elithrar

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2007
Searched the last few pages with no luck, so:

Is anyone running ESO on a 13" MacBook Pro (2013/Haswell)? Curious to know if you get acceptable performance out in the open world on moderate settings. I'd likely run it at half-res (1280x800) or slightly scaled (1440x900) to maintain decent performance.

Would be for questing/PvE only when working away, rather than serious AvA, so ~30FPS average would be "acceptable" to me in those circumstances.

Aldatroid

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
Anyone playing this on a mid 2012 Retina Macbook Pro (2.6 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB)? Curious how well it runs. I would play it using my Thunderbolt display, so native retina resolution won't be an issue.

I'm currently playing on a similar setup, only difference is that I have 16gb ram, and what makes the biggest different for TESO is setting the texture quality on medium. I don't remember all the other settings I'm using but I think they're mostly also on medium and some on high. V-sync should also be set to off. My FPS is fairly steady at 42fps.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Mind that - if I'm not mistaken - the ESO client is 32bit, so it actually cannot take advantage of more than 4gb of RAM, anyway. So, having 8gb or 16gb doesn't make a real difference (except if the user runs lots of other applications at the same time ofc).

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Is this really worth its £70 price tag which I know includes a 30day subscription, what is the monthly subscription in the UK and is the
game worth it it the long run ?

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Is this really worth its £70 price tag which I know includes a 30day subscription, what is the monthly subscription in the UK and is the

That all depends on you... to some people its worth it, to others its not. The same question is asked by everyone looking at paying a subscription for anything.

PhillyAnt

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2013
Philly

I'm enjoying the game. At first, during beta, I was unsure about it. Now I am liking it enough to feel ok about paying a monthly fee.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011

Have you ever played/paid for an MMO? I have, some games I liked, some games I liked for a little while and others I couldn't stand playing for very long. Elder scrolls, for me, falls into the category that I couldn't stand for very long. I was invited to numerous Beta weekends but I only played in the first one. I figured after 48 hours it was a game I wouldn't like.

Now I will say that it wasn't bugs or crashes that turned me off, I understand and accept those in Beta. The fighting style, the quests and just the general layout of the game was a turnoff for me. Others may love it though.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
In Skyrim, I don't remember the restrictions. I did the werewolf quest and as I recall you could become a werewolf when you wanted to, not forced to based on the moon? Anyway I did not like the restrictions although I can no longer remember what they were :p and went through the quest to undo werewolf. How about vampires? Are they limited only to night when outside or do they have their daylight rings? (Vampire Diaries ref) :p If restricted to night, I think that could be a real pain in a game like this.

I only played as a vampire to get all the achievements on my 360 (get all vampire lord perks). The big drawback to being a vampire during the day (outside) was that your stamina, magica, and health don't regenerate. Quite a showstopper if you don't have a ton of potions and are planning mischief. There's a cool quest to undo being a vampire, which I did, to no ill effect. There's a whole ruleset with your powers, and feeding, and blah, but I don't care for the whole vampire thing so I never figured any of it out. I cured my character as soon as the cheevo popped.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I'm loving it so far.

And I get a nearly daily comparison of Mac vs. Wintel box as far as hardware goes, but unfortunately not for OS X. I have it installed on my 15" rMBP (most recent iteration) with upgraded GPU, etc... on Win 7 via bootcamp and on my gaming rig with an i7-920, 6gb RAM, and 680 GTX. I have to play at a lower resolution of about 1920x whatever with scaled down settings on the rMBP and the fans are blaring the entire time. It's still a little choppy. I have everything set to ultra and I'm playing at 2560x1600 on a 30" monitor on the gaming rig and it's nice an smooth. the rMBP doesn't have the graphic power to handle it running anywhere near full steam. The mobile nVidia GPU just won't cut it.

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
That would be the 780M ? I'd expect it to run full detail with this GPU. That's what the high-end iMac uses, as well.

VI™'s rMBP uses the 750M (assuming a Late 2013 model) which isn't even close to being in the same league as the 780M. The 780M in the iMac will run the game considerably better than any rMBP.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Technically you can, just the performance is terrible.

VI™'s rMBP uses the 750M (assuming a Late 2013 model) which isn't even close to being in the same league as the 780M. The 780M in the iMac will run the game considerably better than any rMBP.

Ah you're right, my bad. Thought MBP had a 780M option, but it doesn't.

bry223

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004

It has more to do with how it runs on the OSX side of things then it does with the 750m. I have a 750m and can only run it on medium @ 1920X1080 and still get around 30-40fps, but if I play it via bootcamp, I can play on high and get 60fps.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
It has more to do with how it runs on the OSX side of things then it does with the 750m. I have a 750m and can only run it on medium @ 1920X1080 and still get around 30-40fps, but if I play it via bootcamp, I can play on high and get 60fps.

I'm running it in bootcamp on my rMBP.

bry223

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
I would also suggest anyone using a Nvidia chipset (dedicated chipset) download and install the Quadro & GeForce OSX Driver. It may say that its for the mac pro only but you can still install it via pacifist. I got a big fps boost in WoW and now it seems my OSX client of ESO runs on par if not better than it does on bootcamp for me now.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/73628/en-us

Moonraker

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
France
I would also suggest anyone using a Nvidia chipset (dedicated chipset) download and install the Quadro & GeForce OSX Driver. It may say that its for the mac pro only but you can still install it via pacifist. I got a big fps boost in WoW and now it seems my OSX client of ESO runs on par if not better than it does on bootcamp for me now.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/73628/en-us
Interesting to read this. Can you please confirm exactly how you installed these drivers using Pacifist? (what files to where etc.) And if this works for say an iMac? Thanks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.