Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many Apple devices (not including peripherals) do you own and currently use?

• None

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Just one

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Two

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Three

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Four

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Five

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Six

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Seven

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Eight

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Nine or more

Votes: 13 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Two Mac minis
At least three iPods
One iPad
One MacBook Pro
Three iPhones
and one old iMac DVD (used in those rare occasions when OS 9 is necessary)

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
6 days in, 8 to go

At this stage, with 42 votes, the spread is relatively flat.

There is a slight peak at two to four devices range, which accounts for nearly half of the respondents. There is another rise at nine or more, which includes nearly one in five. It seems the larger Apple ecosystems are household ones used by a whole family, while individuals probably account for many of the smaller ones..

Interestingly there is one zero….. a bit of a surprise here, that has me curious. With no post we don't know the story.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Interestingly there is one zero….. a bit of a surprise here, that has me curious. With no post we don't know the story.

There are plenty of people on here who signed up to do research or get advice before they buy their first apple device. It's probably someone who is thinking of buying one but hasn't yet.

klogg

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
1 Mbp (early 2011)
1 iPad Air
1 iPad 4
1 iPad rmini
1 iPhone 5s
2 iPhone 4s
1 iPhone 4
2 iPod shuffle

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
iMac (2012)
rMBP 13" (2013)
Mac Mini (late 2009)
MBA (first-generation, 2008)

All are in use with the first two being the most active; there is also a 17" MBP (2007) which is now being lovingly retired from action.

iPad Air
iPad rMini
iPhone 5S

All are actively used on pretty much a daily basis; am typing this on the iPad Air right now as I lounge on my deck on a nice afternoon.....

iPod 5th Generation x 2 (one black, one white): these take turns doing duty in the car to provide music. Right now both are in the house for syncing new music. I also have the 6th-gen iPod Nano which I rarely use, sitting around here somewhere, too.....

AirPort Extreme Base Station (current model) keeps everybody up and running on the internet.

Apple TV (second generation) -- well, it's plugged into the TV but I really rarely use it.

In a nutshell: two of the computers, at least one iPad and the iPhone get pretty much daily usage; everything else varies as the need arises.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
1x iPhone 4S
1x iPhone 5
1x iPhone 5S

2x iPad Mini
1x iPad 1
1x iPad Air

1x ATV2

1x 2012 13" MBP

Still to get: That new Mac Mini, whenever it arrives...

gbredneck

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2010
I work from home with my apple kit, currently running a mac mini, and an i5 IMAC myself, with the wife using her i7 iMac pretty much most days, files and printers handled by a mac mini server. Most days i choose one of 3 laptops (11" and 13" macbook air, and an Rmbp 15") depending on where i go to clients.

We have 4 ATV's to enable us to watch video pretty much anywhere in the house.

We have 5 iPads in regular use, myself have a mini 64gb and an IPAD 3 64gb both of which are 3G, the mini has replaced my kindle and the iPad 3 is great for reading magazines on. The wife has an iPad 2 3g, which again is used pretty much every day. the other 2 iPads are used as interfaces to the home automation setup (Loxone).

We also have a couple of Dell latitudes which are purely there for doing support for customers.

Wireless is run from 3 time capsules, and an airport, and all connected through a net gear 24 port gig switch.

3 have 3 iPhones between us, 2 iPhone 5s and 5 (i use two different numbers / networks for support work).

Last edited:

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Currently I am using 8 Apple Devices the following

Late 2013 iMac 2.9Ghz
2011 MacBook Pro
iPad 4 (64GB Wi-Fi)
iPad mini with Retina Display (128GB WiFi)
iPhone 5 32GB
iPhone 4 32GB (Currently using as an iPod with iHome Alarm Clock/Radio)
iPod Classic 80GB (Currently using with Car Stereo System)
Apple TV

jkeekij

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
ATV 1 160gb
ATV 3
Airport Extreme Base Station
Airport Express
2005 Power Mac G5
2009 Mac Mini Server
2012 Mac Mini
2013 rMBP
24" Cinema Display
iPhone 5s 32gb
iPad Mini 16gb
iPad 3 32gb
iPod Nano Gen 7 16gb
iPod Touch Gen 4 32gb

I pretty much use all of this sometime throughout the day with the exception of the G5. Being that I am also the CTO for the family :D, I also manage all of the items below.

2012 MacBook Air
iPad Air 32gb
iPad 3 32gb
iPhone 5s 64gb
iPhone 5s 16gb
iPhone 5c 16gb
iPod Nano Gen 6 8gb
iPod Nano Gen 4 8gb

chevelleguy3

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2013
Mckinney, TX
1x rMBP 15" Late 2013 2.6 i7, 16GB, 1TB SSD
2x Apple Cinema Display 27"
1x iMac 27" Late 2012 3.4 i7, 32GB 3TB Fusion
1x Mac Pro Mid 2010 8 core 2.66, 16GB, 4x 2TB
1x Retina iPad Mini 16GB
1x iPhone 5s 32GB Black
1x iPhone 5 32GB Black
1x Apple TV 3rd Gen
1x Apple TV 2nd Gen
1x iPod 60GB 5th Gen
1x iPod Nano 8GB 4th Gen
1x Airport Extreme (Latest Version)

That's just what is being used at the moment... I have plenty of older stuff laying around too

Last edited:

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Not nearly enough... :( Only three, currently.

My main desktop is a 2009 mini server. My wife has an iPad 2. Baby girl has her very own iPod Touch (2nd gen, so major hand-me-down - she IS <2 years old btw).

"Others:"
Two 'droids
- both of us have Android phones - a Nexus 4 and a Moto G. I'm almost certainly switching back to an iPhone whenever the 6 lands if it does indeed have the larger screen. Anything smaller than my Nexus 4 feels like a toy (my opinion, of course, and the main reason I left the fold...)
Three Windows machines
- an ancient Dell GX620 that currently serves as a HTPC (but a replacement is on its way; will run Linux. When I finally replace my mini server, it'll move to this duty)
- Two quite old Dell laptops; a D820 running Windows 7 (wifey's personal) and a D520 running XP (I use it for work) - they both work great with their SSDs and 3GB of RAM; can't justify replacing the old geezers! But when either of them DOES die off... wifey gets a Macbook Air and I get... whichever Dell isn't dead lol.
- And a PS3. I, too, don't have much time for gaming nowadays, since my tiny princess entered this world. :)

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Some extensive Apple ecosystems out there.

Some people / households sure do have a lot of Apples.

More than I would have thought, though for sure, once folks start with some Apple products, the need / desire for more soon kicks in.

Not a good thing, from the point of view of some of my iPod or iPad toting students, when they discover that to get the most out of them they could do with an Apple computer. Not a problem for the well funded faithful, but it creates agnostics of the skint.

Not nearly enough... :( Only three, currently.

My main desktop is a 2009 mini server. My wife has an iPad 2. Baby girl has her very own iPod Touch (2nd gen, so major hand-me-down - she IS <2 years old btw).

"Others:"
Two 'droids
- both of us have Android phones - a Nexus 4 and a Moto G. I'm almost certainly switching back to an iPhone whenever the 6 lands if it does indeed have the larger screen. Anything smaller than my Nexus 4 feels like a toy (my opinion, of course, and the main reason I left the fold...)
Three Windows machines
- an ancient Dell GX620 that currently serves as a HTPC (but a replacement is on its way; will run Linux. When I finally replace my mini server, it'll move to this duty)
- Two quite old Dell laptops; a D820 running Windows 7 (wifey's personal) and a D520 running XP (I use it for work) - they both work great with their SSDs and 3GB of RAM; can't justify replacing the old geezers! But when either of them DOES die off... wifey gets a Macbook Air and I get... whichever Dell isn't dead lol.
- And a PS3. I, too, don't have much time for gaming nowadays, since my tiny princess entered this world. :)

Sounds like a bit of a jungle, with some cross fertilisation going on!

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Sounds like a bit of a jungle, with some cross fertilisation going on!

It is redonkulous lol. Good news is (well I guess it's good) that the Win7 laptop is rarely used - my wifey would rather just use her phone or the iPad. Biggest beef I have is interoperability between the 'Droid phones and the iPad/iPod. I miss the simplicity of an all-iOS household... hoping for a large screen iPhone 6 to lure me back to the phone-side of the fold. :)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Mac Mini 1TB
iPhone 5s 16 Gig
iPad (4th generation), 16 Gig
2x Apple TV's
Macbook Pro (Mid-2012)

so, most people use 9 devices ?

you guys must really like Apple :) Then again, this is MR, so i would expect that too.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
so, most people use 9 devices ?

Nine, or more…. and some seem to be quite a few more. However, I guess most of them are households. Two to four would seem to be where it's at for individuals.

With just a single Mac Mini in use, I am a rare individual. But I live in an apartment, and prefer to be unconnected when I leave my desk. I seldom even carry a mobile phone. When I do it is a very basic $US 20.00 monotone Nokia.

For most of my life I have not had a telephone. For several years of my adult life i didn't even have electricity, and the nearest phone was 20 km away. That was before the internet and the modern mobile phone system came to be.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
In our household, there are 5 Macs, 5 iPhones, 5 iPads, 2 Apple TVs, countless iPods (10+) that are dotted about and get intermittent use and a Thunderbolt display.

The Apple ecosystem is a unique phenomenon, but I think the time and effort it saves us is worth buying into it.

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
We've got 2 iMacs, 1 MacBook Pro, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones & 1 iPod touch.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Poll closed

A relatively small number of respondents, but clearly Apple devices exist in systems far more than on their lonesome. Two to five devices account for more than half of the responses, and nearly 1 in 5 have an ecosystem of nine or more devices.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Personally:
iPhone 5s
iPad Mini
Mac Mini

In the household, my wife also has:
iPhone 5
iMac

And we share:
MacBook Air
Time Capsule
AirPort Express (used just for AirPlay)
(2) Apple TVs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.