Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This should be front page news and the iOS update should not be. This site is called MacRumors after all not iOSRumors
Only because it was put in place before any of the iOS stuff was in existence. Realistically speaking this site is more of AppleRumors than anything else.

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006
Snow Leopard users are a stubborn bunch.

I like to think I'm more "cautious" than "stubborn". I do plan on upgrading my SL 10.6.8 mid-2009 Macbook to Mavericks 10.9.3, mostly because fewer and fewer third-party programs I use are providing updates for SL (like VMware Fusion). But first I'm booting the MB off an external 10.9.2 drive to find out what kind of problems I can expect. And they can be considerable.

1) The new proprietary SMB2 file sharing (instead of Samba) means that I have to switch my Android devices to SFTP rather than CIFS to access files on the MB. I've tried several fixes relating to the /etc/nsmb.conf file, but none of them work form Android, while Samba worked great. Depending on how well SFTP works in the long run, I may have to use SMBUp to port Samba to Mavericks.

2) The native SSHD remote login no longer uses the simple "libwrap" mechanism to limit access, instead relying on the BSD "pf" packet filtering firewall. My BSD experience is limited, and I have yet to find a simple recipe to limit SSH access with pf. I may have to fall back to porting OpenSSH.

Other changes are more annoyances than dealbreakers, and can usually be disabled one way or another. Some of them are indicative of deeper issues, though, like how changing the hostname via "Sharing" preferences no longer changes the hostname universally (like in a Terminal window), and that change requires me to run "scutil". That's just Apple being sloppy, if you ask me.

Back to the third-party issue, I see that as more Apple's doing that the developers. Newer XCode's lack the SL development framework, which works fine when copied from an older XCode. Developers don't know that trick, though, try to make SL applications, but they crash, and they simply say "no more SL". Fusion is a special case, I'll admit, and supporting Fusion 6 is my main reason for updating to Mavericks. But I'm not enjoying it.

Last, I bought both Lion and Mountain Lion and decided not to update each time. The fact that I can update direct to Mavericks for free makes me feel like I paid to be an Apple beta tester. Not happy.

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
You know, I never know. Snow Leopard users are a stubborn bunch. They refuse to update their hardware or rely on ****** software that has not been updated (or can't be). They are strong believers of "don't fix what isn't broken", failing to see that staying on a dead OS and relying on dead-end software is a broken way to work. Or just complete cheapskates, because while upgrading the OS is free, some software or hardware won't be. Or lazy, because it might take effort. They stick to SL as if "one of these days" something will make upgrading all easy.

Listen SL tards: upgrading is going to take a modicum of effort. You may have to find some alternative software that's actually supported and you may have to abandon some of your old hardware. But the benefits outweigh sticking to that obsoleted bitch of an OS. It was great when it came out, and maybe it still works for you now, but life has moved on and you're ignoring the benefits of newer changes.

My Dad is one such user. He still uses a copy of Quicken 2002 to do taxes (SL still supports Rosetta), a copy of GraphicConverter 4 or something to touch up photos, and whatever ****** drivers came with his old printer and scanner.

He's got like 20 years of Quicken experience - if I showed him iBank it would be like "Holy ****?! What is this?" and spending time to learn it and seeing how it's better is something he "doesn't have time for", even though that's a lie. Instead, he spends some of his free time working around every wart in Quicken and suffers through its God-awful text rendering, lack of undo, and everything else it sucks at.

If I showed him Acorn or Pixelmator, same thing. I'm still debating if layers in something that's not Photoshop would "blow his mind" or are "something frivolous nobody needs".

And his printer and scanner? Ever bring that up and he'll mention how he paid like $400 for printer and $400 for his scanner back in the day and is convinced such things are still "expensive", even though today he could replace both for about ~$120 and have two models far faster and better. Although he'd probably have to spend that since peripheral companies are ****** with drivers.

My end thoughts: Anyone still on Snow Leopard is likely oblivious to the outside world and doesn't understand how much of a pain in the ass they are to help (because hardly anything good works on it anymore).

So I'm willing to bet this guy is serious. Snow Leopard users bought their hardware years ago and still expect it to be supported without any effort on their end. If this guy was joking I'd have expected his response to be, "Is Safari snappier?" or "Where is the Jaguar security update?"

Dude, serious rant right haha. It's ok, get it off your chest.

I agree with you that 10.6 users are a bit stubborn. However, what if they're still using 32-bit only applications?

I just notice a lot of people here taking things way too seriously. I made a joke before about with all of the 10.9.3 developer builds being released, we'll probably see 10.10 released before 10.9.3. Some dude wrote me a long ass reply about the release schedule of every version of OSX. Idk. Maybe I spend too much time on Reddit.

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
It's not good enough, Apple. How dare you stop supporting an OS that's 4 generations old.

How about that: they (apparently) dropped support for a product that is still being sold!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Huh, reads somewhat different now, no?

Second, let's take Apple's Vista out of the equation! Mountain Lion is merely a badly needed fix for the Lion mess, so it doesn't really count as a new product either. Or only 1/2 as such. Mavericks is getting close to Snow Leopard again (in terms of network reliability and overall performance), while gradually adding features Apple has taken away (local sync, Save As... the later already having been re-enabled in some later ML release...).

So all in all, let's agree on "Snow Leopard being just the previous release to Mavericks", shall we?

Third, Snow Leopard was released in August 28, 2009 - so that makes it only a 5 years old OS! Hardly a long time span for an OS!

Edit: Yes, I know that SL was not affected by the Triple-Handshake, so the claim that SL support is somewhat shaky - I am just replying to the reactions on that claim.

----------

Listen SL tards: upgrading is going to take a modicum of effort. You may have to find some alternative software that's actually supported and you may have to abandon some of your old hardware. [bla bla bla]

My Dad is one such user....

Ah, okay, I understand: we are talking about your family's computers with some cheap 400$ scanners etc.

Why don't you follow your own advice and "just move on - nothing to see (or say) here...".

:eek:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012

Surely there is an error in the mavericks page ( http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1740 ). It has a photo of Lion there:

error2.jpg

Is "Lion" making a comeback? Maybe it ate the X!

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Dude, serious rant right haha. It's ok, get it off your chest.

I agree with you that 10.6 users are a bit stubborn. However, what if they're still using 32-bit only applications?

I just notice a lot of people here taking things way too seriously. I made a joke before about with all of the 10.9.3 developer builds being released, we'll probably see 10.10 released before 10.9.3. Some dude wrote me a long ass reply about the release schedule of every version of OSX. Idk. Maybe I spend too much time on Reddit.

I just had a look through my Activity Monitor... Dropbox is 32bit... What the hell? Not too mention for a small program it uses up a measurable amount of proecssing power and RAM.

But I liked the rant, as a new and young Mac user I don't really get why these people are so stubborn - I guess its the same as the XP group. For me I love aggresively updating and getting frequent new releases. Nothing I hate more than the 'new iOS update broke my iPhone' or 'the new iOS update sucks and killed my previously awesome battery life'.

iPhone 5S running 7.1.1 (really felt great though after 7.1) and late 2013 rMBP running 10.9.2 and couldn't be happier. All run great! Can't wait to update to 10.10 and 8.0!

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Until Snow Leopard Apple had always struck a fine balance with Quartz animations. Since Lion, the UI animations have felt like I was using a compiz/beryl clone. It feels sloppy and busy. However, I settled on 10.8.5 after tweaking the living daylights out of it. It feels stable and has good support. Staying on Snow Leopard is too difficult now. The Toolchain too old and is causing developers to abandon it. Running Homebrew or Macports on it is too much of a hassle now.

It annoys me that Apple leave so many bugs unpatched on Lion and Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion has problems with the green zoom button on Finder, launchd timeout problems and there is a bug with Textedit on both OS's that causes the save panel to appear in the bottom left corner of the screen even after closing the window. None of these break the OS but it does discourage me from following Apples new upgrade path. I bought a Mac originally to get away from niggles like this.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Until Snow Leopard Apple had always struck a fine balance with Quartz animations. Since Lion, the UI animations have felt like I was using a compiz/beryl clone. It feels sloppy and busy. However, I settled on 10.8.5 after tweaking the living daylights out of it. It feels stable and has good support. Staying on Snow Leopard is too difficult now. The Toolchain too old and is causing developers to abandon it. Running Homebrew or Macports on it is too much of a hassle now.

It annoys me that Apple leave so many bugs unpatched on Lion and Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion has problems with the green zoom button on Finder, launchd timeout problems and there is a bug with Textedit on both OS's that causes the save panel to appear in the bottom left corner of the screen even after closing the window. None of these break the OS but it does discourage me from following Apples new upgrade path. I bought a Mac originally to get away from niggles like this.

Not to mention the annoying audio stuttering bug plaguing some machines... iTunes is totally unusable...

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Click on "System Requirements" on that page :)

Yeah.

Another error.

OS X Lion Server 10.9.2.

I would have thought these errors would have been fixed by now.

But they are still there.

Does anybody from apple actually look at their own website?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.