Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Apple should increase the base model storage of iPad to 32 GB. And provide better multitasking. It's joke at this point when your device start at 16 GB and can't run apps simultaneously when you introduced the device as an in-between smartphone and laptop which now 5 gen later feels more like a stretched up smartphone rather than a laptop.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
What was the share price prior to the split?

Have to admit, never heard of stock splitting before. Does this benefit our "favourite" investor, Mr Icahn?

A stock split means that each stock is split up in equal parts. Total company value remains the same and this doesn't benefit Icahn directly.

However an effect that many discount, is that popular shares such as this, with a relatively large amount of non-institutional investors, often gain in value in the short term. The reason is that small investors can now invest with smaller amounts than before and do so. Although the often heard argument is that it should't make a difference, on the whole it often does, and can be responsible for a small price hike.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Anyone watching this idiot on CNBC? Clueless doesn't begin to describe him.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Thats not good with all the market saturation stalling sales, they better knock it out of the park with the watch.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Apple should increase the base model storage of iPad to to 32 GB. And provide better multitasking. It's joke at this point when your device start at 16 GB and can't run apps simultaneously when you introduced the device as an in-between smart phone and laptop which feel more like a stretched up smartphone rather than a laptop.

You are in the wrong thread.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
$5-7 a Share

Amazing how far Apple has gone. I don't miss those awful days when the shares where hovering $7 or so dollars.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Apple misses expectations: -15%
Apple beats expectations: +8%

Oh well. Nice results anyhow.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
iPhone sales beat handily and iPad sales missed badly. I wonder how the Street will take it. 7:1 is an odd ratio for a stock split.

I am not a financial analyst at all but my first thought of a 7:1 stock split bringing it down to $75... psychologically it looks like it is in easier range to hit $100 eventually (or really $700, which was its old all-time high;))

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I'm not too familiar with this stuff.

Does a 7-for-1 stock split means the stock will now be worth $75?.
Does it also mean dividends will be increased by 7x?

7 for 1 split means that if you currently own 1 share of stock and the value is $700, then it becomes 7 shares with a value of $100 each. The total value of your shares remains the same.

Dividends will also be adjusted and are typically calculated as a percentage of the individual share price.

This is the best news I have heard in a while and something I have been waiting for for a long time. While it has no realistic change, the mental change can be huge, as individual investors would be far more willing to buy 10 shares for $500 vs 1 share for $500.

And awesome quarterly results.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
ipad numbers are interesting, especially because the ipad offerings are fresher than a lot of the rest of apple's lineup. Could it be that the tablet takeover is not as inevitable as everyone thought? I was sucked in by the ipad but have used it less and less such that it's now a distant third in terms of use (behind iPhone and Mac).

...Or maybe these numbers are specific to ipad facing increased competition from other tablets.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Why no macrumour news about amazon and HBO's streaming deal?

This is related to Apple TV and their attempts of adding content.
I'm surprised there was no report of Google's total miss on earning reported last week. Not one peep.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Apple misses expectations: -15%
Apple beats expectations: +8%

Oh well. Nice results anyhow.

Share price jump in after hours trading (and I believe it is actually halted right now) today has probably more to do with the announced stock split and share buyback. There is a reason Apple decided to announce this stuff today. Without this the price might have actually fallen.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Share price jump in after hours trading (and I believe it is actually halted right now) today has probably more to do with the announced stock split and share buyback. There is a reason Apple decided to announce this stuff today. Without this the price might have actually fallen.

Glass always half empty, right? Apple is doomed anyway, right?

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I guess a 15% beat would count for something.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I'm curious to know the reason behind the iPad miss. Supply constraints or people aren't buying. I find that really curious. It will be interesting to hear what they say.

As for the stock split - splits are largely meaningless. They don't affect the value of the company. The dividend will be 1/7 of what it is now. About the only advantage is that buying a few shares will be a bit more accessible at ~$75 instead of ~$525 for people who don't buy large chunks at a time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.