Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's second quarter earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced that the company's new retail and online leader, Angela Ahrendts, will be joining Apple next week.

Ahrendts first resigned from British luxury fashion house Burberry in October of 2013, but was contractually obligated to stay on with the company for another six months as it transitioned to new CEO Christopher Bailey. As of April, Ahrendts fulfilled her obligations and became free to leave Burberry to join Apple.

angelaahrendts.jpg
Earlier this month, rumors suggested Ahrendts might stay on with Burberry until June in order to pick up a two million pound performance bonus, but it appears that she will not be staying with the company in order to collect the payment.

Ahrendts will join Apple as the Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores, a position that has seen significant turnover over the past several years. In 2011, Ron Johnson left Apple for J.C. Penney, after building up Apple's retail presence during his 11-year tenure. Johnson was then replaced by Dixons CEO John Browett, who served less than a year at Apple. Since Browett's departure, the position has been empty.

Article Link: Former Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts to Join Apple Next Week

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Thanks for the update !

Please let us know when "she starts work tomorrow" and then when she starts work -"her first workday at apple begins today"

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
well she prob will be the best dressed at Apple :roll eyes:
Imagine she show's up in some raggy t-shirt and jeans :p

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
Dear Burberry,

If you don't know what to do with the 2 million pound bonus, I have a few ideas and can definitely be of assistance. Just send me a pm and we'll figure this out together. You shouldn't have to deal with this alone.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Just let this roll on your tongue and think about it: A 2 million Pound (!) performance bonus.

I work in cancer research and at current NIH funding I would know what to do with 3.36 Mio USD. I could run my lab for at least 5 years... But I guess running a clothing company is more valuable (I am unfair, I know, but sometimes it just is frustrating):mad:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
So I take of that apple ended up paying her more than Burberry :cool:

Or she figures than the stock options she can get next week as a SVP will eventually be worth many million$ more than the stock options and option pricing she might get if she waited till fall. Maybe this is a sign that it might be time to load up on some AAPL?

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Uummm so if it was false that she was staying at Burberry to receive a 2 million pound bonus, maybe it's false that she was even getting that bonus...

Maybe she already got it or was never planning on staying until June.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
But I guess running a clothing company is more valuable (I am unfair, I know, but sometimes it just is frustrating):mad:

It might be a sad fact that on average the general public spends more on nice coats and jeans than on cancer research. Even after someone in the family dies from it... :(

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
Just let this roll on your tongue and think about it: A 2 million Pound (!) performance bonus.

I work in cancer research and at current NIH funding I would know what to do with 3.36 Mio USD. I could run my lab for at least 5 years... But I guess running a clothing company is more valuable (I am unfair, I know, but sometimes it just is frustrating):mad:

It's unfortunate, but true. On the other hand, this isn't that common, with relatively few CEOs making that kind of bonus. I expect funding at the NIH to improve a bit (hopefully preventing someone taking the "fund a random researcher" idea seriously), by attrition if nothing else. It may take awhile, but with the number of spots in PhD programs decreasing, there may be a dearth of researchers in the coming years.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
Or she figures than the stock options she can get next week as a SVP will eventually be worth many million$ more than the stock options and option pricing she might get if she waited till fall. Maybe this is a sign that it might be time to load up on some AAPL?

Exactly what I thought right now... :D She wants to join the ride.:p

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
She was probably thinking about staying until she gets the bonus but got a "you start now or never" call from Tim.

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Angie…Oh, Angie…Where will this take us from here? (Rolling Stones)

So… Tim said, here's a "starting bonus" = Burberry bonus… Start now.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Dear Burberry,

If you don't know what to do with the 2 million pound bonus, I have a few ideas and can definitely be of assistance. Just send me a pm and we'll figure this out together. You shouldn't have to deal with this alone.

Apple probably agreed to compensate her for it.

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Does seem to be an awful lot of stories about this?

In my opinion, the fact that the all-white male limousine liberal club that is the Apple senior leadership has finally allowed a woman is big news. They've finally realized that white men are not the only talented individuals out there.

It's certainly a more relevant story than the breaking news that some clown actor will play Steve Jobs in a movie that nobody will see.

Last edited:

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
In my opinion, the fact the the all-white male limousine liberal club that is the Apple senior leadership has finally allowed a woman is big news. They've finally realized that white men are not the only talented individuals out there.

It's certainly a more relevant story than the breaking news that some clown actor will play Steve Jobs in a movie that nobody will see.

Thats the tech story..Microsoft has 2 female execs at the top level. Google has 1 as well.

https://www.google.com/intl/en-US/a...://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/exec/slt.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/exec/slt.aspx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.