Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Even if I bought a 2013 new Mac Pro, I wouldn't put 1333 MHz memory into it. I am only interested in how 1866 MHz memory behaves in it.

For our grant, our project is starting soon, and I finally decided to break down and buy a Dell rack-mounted server. I can get 2 of the 12-core Intel chips (instead of just 1, as in the new Mac Pro), and I have 12 slots of memory (instead of just 4, in the new Mac Pro). Moreover, the pricing is much less expensive. So, I can't quite believe it, but I finally opted to NOT get a new Mac Pro for the grant. It felt weird for a few days, but I finally feel at peace with this decision. I can get twice the number of computing cores, and TONS more memory, for the very same price. Of course I'll run Linux on it, since I really only need UNIX types of tools for the grant itself.

Nonetheless, I'm still interested in how this thread evolves, and I look forward to some manufacturers eventually (hopefully) putting out some RAM modules that will work in the new Mac Pro, at the 1866 MHz speed. Perhaps I'll make such a purchase later in the year. For this grant, however, I couldn't afford to wait any longer!
Curious on the price you paid for your dell. Can you post price and detailed spec's?

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
I just got in a dual E5-2697v2 with a Quadro k6000 and SSD for less than 10k. Dell T7610.

Thanks. Cheaper than the new mac pro and things can be changed if needed, not like the mac pro. That is one mega computer you have. I looked at building one like that but not worth the money unless your making money with it. Enjoy your new power toy.

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Don't know if this has been posted on this thread yet, but I noticed that OWC now offers 128 GB RAM upgrades.

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Curious on the price you paid for your dell. Can you post price and detailed spec's?

We send large server purchases out for bids at our university. It's still in the (several layers of) purchasing stages and approvals. So I don't know exactly how much it is going to cost, just an estimate.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
We send large server purchases out for bids at our university. It's still in the (several layers of) purchasing stages and approvals. So I don't know exactly how much it is going to cost, just an estimate.

And those bids are usually under non-disclosure, so you couldn't tell the price anyway.

Jim-H

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2013
Ramjet wrote to me today, to point out that their 128 GB of RAM is ready for the new Mac Pro. Here's a link:

http://www.ramjet.com/products/mac-pro-memory-for-model-6-1-32gbx4

Hope that helps! Please note that this RAM runs at only 1333 MHz, not at 1866 MHz.

I don't have any connection to Ramjet. I'm just a fan of their products.

Lots of different bus speeds listed on that page.

Also says...

"Due to configuration of the 2013 Mac Pro processor, these modules will register at a bus speed of 1066Mhz."

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
I just got in a dual E5-2697v2 with a Quadro k6000 and SSD for less than 10k. Dell T7610.

Please, where I can buy this for under 10k??
2x E5 2697V2=5200$
K6000=5000$
10.200$ and still missing RAM, case, cooler, PSU, SSD ecc.
Curious about where the margin came from, I guess Dell will be soon out of business.

beaker7

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2009
Please, where I can buy this for under 10k??
2x E5 2697V2=5200$
K6000=5000$
10.200$ and still missing RAM, case, cooler, PSU, SSD ecc.
Curious about where the margin came from, I guess Dell will be soon out of business.

You can buy it from Dell via their enterprise group. Believe it or not, they don't pay retail for parts.

reflecti0nX

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
This is really helpful to know. I didn't realize that every 32 GB module is load reduced. OK, that is helpful: it saves me looking around! Thank you for telling me that.

So it seems that we are now just waiting to hear if someone has tried LRDIMMs in the 12 core Mac Pro. For the nMP models with fewer cores, I've already heard that they won't work. In fact, repoman27 pointed this out in another thread recently:

ALL of the new Mac Pro models use E5-1600 series processors except the 12-core Mac Pro. So only the 12-core Mac Pro has a possibility of using the LRDIMMS. Interesting!
I tried 32GB LRDIMMs in my 12-core late 2013 Mac Pro. It did not boot. I assume that the BIOS/EFI is not compatible.

I also tried 32GB HyperCloud DIMMs in my 12-core late 2013 Mac Pro and they boot just fine, running at 1333 MHz. Standard RDIMMs would run at 800 MHz.

However: They run very hot, and the fan starts spinning at full speed very soon after I start stress-testing the memory, even though CPU temperature remains low. Because they require a heatsink, they don't fit unless you take the Mac Pro apart and remove the DIMM mechanism. Even if you do that, you have to come up with a creative solution to keep them secured in place.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend them. If you need 128GB of faster memory on a Mac, get a cMP or build your own hackintosh. Otherwise go for the regular 128GB Mac-compatible memory, which runs at 1066 MHz or 800 MHz depending on your CPU.

Last edited:

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Just a thought, but are the applications you are using client-server based? Is it possible to keep the Mac as your desktop, but offload the number crunching to PC running Linux for example? HP Z820's are fairly cheap of eBay can can have 16 x 32GB DIMMs - 512GB. You don't have to worry about the graphics options, just get a single fast CPU and loads of RAM. Start with 128GB and add more as you need it.

Just my two pennies worth, but it's a lot to spend for a workstation where you hit it's limits on day 1 with no chance for expansion.

mac666er

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I tried 32GB LRDIMMs in my 12-core late 2013 Mac Pro. It did not boot. I assume that the BIOS/EFI is not compatible.

I also tried 32GB HyperCloud DIMMs in my 12-core late 2013 Mac Pro and they boot just fine, running at 1333 MHz. Standard RDIMMs would run at 800 MHz.

However: They run very hot, and the fan starts spinning at full speed very soon after I start stress-testing the memory, even though CPU temperature remains low. Because they require a heatsink, they don't fit unless you take the Mac Pro apart and remove the DIMM mechanism. Even if you do that, you have to come up with a creative solution to keep them secured in place.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend them. If you need 128GB of faster memory on a Mac, get a cMP or build your own hackintosh. Otherwise go for the regular 128GB Mac-compatible memory, which runs at 1066 MHz or 800 MHz depending on your CPU.

I'll chime in.

I have a nMacPro with 128 Gb of RAM running at 800 MHz. While the memory is not running at 1.3 GHz I still think is great.

I run memory intensive tasks and with 128GB of RAM, storage is no longer the constraint, the CPU is. Usually memory is waiting for the CPU to finish calculations, even though more than 32 GB of RAM is used (thus needing at least 48GB or 64GB of RAM installed) the extra RAM then can be used to have other programs open even though they don't task the CPU.

With that in mind, 1.3 GHz Memory speed, buys me very little, the only applications that I can think of that can pay off is a database where stuff gets in and out of memory or changing memory locations constantly. I haven't seen any folks share here an experience using a Mac Pro for that. (I am sure there are some out there, I am just saying they are not in the forum)

I see most people here trying to hack old Mac Pros to get more value out of them, which is cool. But I will give you a very good reason that is not going to be popular here to get a New Mac Pro. Under load and fully equipped the Mac Pro is DEAD silent.

The general consensus here is that you can spend less and get some hacking with a PC or old Mac Pro to get it work. But I will tell you this. I used to have a 5.1 Mac Pro with 128Gb of RAM and 3.4 GHz processors and at full utilisation the Mac Pro will be making some noise, doesn't matter how much you slow down the fans with a hack. Since you are pushing the thermal profile of the mac with the CPUs AND the memory, it is a constant buzz that really is audible. With a PC is even worse.

With the new Mac Pro, I have used at 100% for days on end and it doesn't make an annoying noise, the loudest thing on my desktop are external hard drives, by far. I could very well sleep right next to it. If you get a hackintosh, or as I said an old Mac Pro, there is NO WAY you can get the same quietness. Again, I know most people in this forum dismiss this, but once you are on a desk for more than 8 hrs, or worse you have it in your bedroom at home and working it at full speed, that feature alone is worth the extra price to me.

If you are strapped for cash and you have literally no other concerns (time, noise, design, size, etc, etc) then yeah, get a PC and put the memory there and share it or use it as a server.

avner

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2015
256gb Ram in cMP Mac pro

Hey everyone!

So I got a hold of 3 of these sticks of memory for a total of 96gb ram using just 3 out of the available 8 slots. Computer recognized them perfectly so I added two more 16gb sticks which put me at the theoretical limit with 3 slots remaining.

Specifically

Samsung M393B4G70BM0-YH9

32GB

DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10600 240-Pin Reg ECC Memory

So I tried putting just one more 2gb stick in all 3 of the remaining slots and the computer would not post it only did the blinking white light that can occur if incompatible memory or CPUs have been used.

So I have reasons to believe the 128gb limit is truly the maximum the 2009-2012 Mac Pros can support regardless of how many available memory slots it has.

This is my first time posting so I just thought I would share my experiences!

Testing all the theoretical limits of the cMP has become my favorite past time.

If anyone has ever gotten past the 128gb memory limit please let me know!

My Mac Pro currently has dual x5690 Xeon that have a theoretical memory limit of I believe 288gb under Windows.

(One small sidenote that I discovered that got me so excited, I found this 30$ Sintech adapter on amazon that allows one to use the new 1200mbps SSD in the late 2013 mac pro in any 2009-2012 mac pro and it runs at full speed!

No raid 0 failures, native TRIM support and OS boot selection menu.

I also am putting a GTX Titan X I got off ebay for several hundred off retail in my Mac Pro since apparently it only uses 225 watts and I found an 8 pin mini power cable to power it without any external power supply.)

Anywhoodles,

Just thought I would post my discoveries here.

avner

Reactions: Le_Cactus

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Hey everyone!
Anywhoodles,

avner

Avner, thank you for sharing! It was really nice to hear about your experiences trying to max out the Mac Pro! Many thanks!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hey everyone!

So I got a hold of 3 of these sticks of memory for a total of 96gb ram using just 3 out of the available 8 slots. Computer recognized them perfectly so I added two more 16gb sticks which put me at the theoretical limit with 3 slots remaining.

Specifically

Samsung M393B4G70BM0-YH9

32GB

So I tried putting just one more 2gb stick in all 3 of the remaining slots and the computer would not post it only did the blinking white light that can occur if incompatible memory or CPUs have been used.

So I have reasons to believe the 128gb limit is truly the maximum the 2009-2012 Mac Pros can support regardless of how many available memory slots it has.

My Mac Pro currently has dual x5690 Xeon that have a theoretical memory limit of I believe 288gb under Windows.

(One small sidenote that I discovered that got me so excited, I found this 30$ Sintech adapter on amazon that allows one to use the new 1200mbps SSD in the late 2013 mac pro in any 2009-2012 mac pro and it runs at full speed!

I also am putting a GTX Titan X I got off ebay for several hundred off retail in my Mac Pro since apparently it only uses 225 watts and I found an 8 pin mini power cable to power it without any external power supply.)

Anywhoodles,

avner

Great job !

But there is an issue with ranking.

I have 2GB sticks that won't boot with 8 or 16GB modules but will boot by themselves or with 4GB sticks

So possible that using more 8s or 16s would get you past 128

reflecti0nX

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
Hey everyone!

Specifically

Samsung M393B4G70BM0-YH9

32GB

Anywhoodles,

avner
The reason that your system doesn't boot when you add the 2GB DIMM is that you are mixing incompatible DIMMs.

Your 2GB stick is an unbuffered DIMM.
Your 16GB and 32GB sticks are registered DIMMs.

Unbuffered and registered DIMMs cannot be used at the same time.

For more info Google: mix unbuffered registered RAM

Last edited:

reflecti0nX

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
Great job !

But there is an issue with ranking.

I have 2GB sticks that won't boot with 8 or 16GB modules but will boot by themselves or with 4GB sticks

So possible that using more 8s or 16s would get you past 128
Indeed! I would love to see someone report that cMP works with 192GB or 256GB. It would be one more victory for forever upgradeable cMP over the nMP, which is stuck at 128GB, and even that is not officially supported by Apple.

See my post above for explanation of why your DIMMs don't mix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.