Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speakingvisual

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
I just purchased a 480GB Kingston SSDnow V300 Series HD for my Black MacBook because I killed the last one :(

So I went to format it on my iMac and I can't get it to come up anywhere... Not in Finder, not in disk utility.

Tried another house... Tried another cable...

Am I doing something wrong? :confused:

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
I just purchased a 480GB Kingston SSDnow V300 Series HD for my Black MacBook because I killed the last one :(

So I went to format it on my iMac and I can't get it to come up anywhere... Not in Finder, not in disk utility.

Tried another house... Tried another cable...

Am I doing something wrong? :confused:

How are you connecting the SSD to the iMac and other machines?

Speakingvisual

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
I tried first to just install it into my MacBook and format via OSX bootup but it didn't show it - I was fearful my sata cable went.

Then I tried with the external case and USB that came with the HD to my iMac with nothing.

Then I used my OWC FireWire external case to my iMac with nothing.

Is it just a bad hd?

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
I tried first to just install it into my MacBook and format via OSX bootup but it didn't show it - I was fearful my sata cable went.

Then I tried with the external case and USB that came with the HD to my iMac with nothing.

Then I used my OWC FireWire external case to my iMac with nothing.

Is it just a bad hd?

Given how many different ways you've tried to connect it, I'd say the SSD is DOA.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with the post above this one. Looks to be DOA.

Do you have return privileges?
If so, I suggest you use them RIGHT NOW.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Always format and test an SSD externally via a USB3 - SATA cable before opening a Mac to do installation. It will save a lot of grief.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.