Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xc runner

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Hey guys:

I have a question when formatting a second hard drive I installed in my optical bay. My current setup is a SSD that I installed when I felt my computer lacking in speed (2009 MBP) and I deferred on a caddy at the time. Recently, I purchased the caddy and added my original HDD back.

I would just wipe the drive but here is my dilemma, my older HDD has windows 7 which I occasionally use for work. Is there any way I can make my older HDD mac and SSD one while keeping my windows partition?

Thanks in advance!

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Unless you have changed anything your original HDD should still be bootable so when you need Windows simply boot from it and boot into Windows....

xc runner

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Sorry, I forgot the mention that my older HDD was split and has a Mac side and Windows side. Is it possible to combine both the HDD and SSD Mac together while leaving my Windows partition in tack?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Sorry, I forgot the mention that my older HDD was split and has a Mac side and Windows side. Is it possible to combine both the HDD and SSD Mac together while leaving my Windows partition in tack?

You mean into a single Fusion drive? I've never done that, I run my SSD and HDD as separate drives and manually control what is on each.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.