Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
If Apple can design something like the Moto X or the LG G2 mini with a 4.7 inch screen it would be great. The X and G2 are not hi-spec phones with dumbed down processors and display, but they seem to work okay for their owners. In today's world, for an Iphone 6 to be a blown up 5S with huge bezels seems like old technology. I don't care if they put an A8 processor in it. Make it a little wider, maybe a little thicker, but not taller.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
The Moto-X is pretty small despite the 4.7". The overall size feels great.

Apple should take notice.

I was looking at 4.7" screens at Best Buy this weekend and really like the size and feel of the HTC One. I hope Apple doesn't go bigger than the 4.7" screen. Those other phones just seem too big to me.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Nice pictures showing the size comparison. Looking at all the models, iPhone seems like narrow and too long.. looks kind of odd! because of that extra bezel on top and bottom. The important selling point is iOS. What do you guys think?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Nice pictures showing the size comparison. Looking at all the models, iPhone seems like narrow and too long.. looks kind of odd! because of that extra bezel on top and bottom. The important selling point is iOS. What do you guys think?

While I still prefer iOS at this point I could be easily swayed. The next iPhone (device itself) Apple releases will determine my 2014-2015 ecosystem.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014

iOS for me has become dated relative to what I can do in Android particularly with KitKat being such as powerful system.

I still use iTunes for my movies and TV shows but play those back on my Note 2 (rooted and custom ROM'ed).

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Tell me...when have you ever noticed the difference, without looking up close at your screen, between the pixel densities of the iPhone and a phone with 440 PPI?

Where I've noticed it on my S3 vs. S4 is desktop web pages. It's much easier to read the small text. I would be a little disappointed to see Apple fall behind on pixel density. I'll still probably end up getting a 4.7" screened iPhone 6.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
For me, the Moto X is perfectly sized and shaped to fit the hand. I also like the feel of the M8.

The brick shape of the iPhone feels like a dead slab in comparison to those two phones. And if Apple �� doesn't even out the ratio of the 6, I will be extremely disappointed. I wish Apple would start taking some development chances in design on the iPhone like they did with the Mac pro.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
For me, the Moto X is perfectly sized and shaped to fit the hand. I also like the feel of the M8.

The brick shape of the iPhone feels like a dead slab in comparison to those two phones. And if Apple �� doesn't even out the ratio of the 6, I will be extremely disappointed. I wish Apple would start taking some development chances in design on the iPhone like they did with the Mac pro.

Even out the ratio? Meaning what exactly?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Even out the ratio? Meaning what exactly?

Ever wonder why there are so many jokes about the 'stretched' iphone? This is your answer. Here is the iphone19:
cm-new-newsletter-iphone.png

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Ever wonder why there are so many jokes about the 'stretched' iphone? This is your answer. Here is the iphone19:

These jokes tend to emit from from the less inclined.

iPhone aspect ratio is the same as the S4, M8, G2 and every other major smart phone.

16:9 is the standard.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
And that is really what has hurt the design, the screen has been narrow because of it.

And yet another perpetuating this falicy regarding the iPhone. It's screen is no more narrow than nearly any other flagship smartphone. The iPhone has the exact same screen ratio (16:9) as the Moto X, Galaxy S3, S4, and S5, HTC One (M7 or M8), Xperia Z (pick your version), LG G2, Galaxy Note 2 or 3--this list goes on and on.

The iPhone itself feels narrow because of its disproportionate length as result of its large top and bottom bezels but has nothing to do with the display. Other examples of this problem can be found in the most recent Nexus 7 and the HTC One (M8), IMO.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
These jokes tend to emit from from the less inclined.

iPhone aspect ratio is the same as the S4, M8, G2 and every other major smart phone.

16:9 is the standard.

Not screen. Actual shape of the phone. The phone looks too stretched. I'm talking about adding width, along with length, for this next iphone, so it looks in proportion. Why do you assume I was referring to the screen? I specifically talked about the 'shape' in the post you referenced.

----------

The iPhone itself feels narrow because of its disproportionate length as result of its large top and bottom bezels but has nothing to do with the display. Other examples of this problem can be found in the most recent Nexus 7 and the HTC One (M8), IMO.

This is what I was referring to as well. Although, the M8 doesn't look as bad as the Nex7 and iPhone IMO.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
This is what I was referring to as well. Although, the M8 doesn't look as bad as the Nex7 and iPhone IMO.

Exactly why I didn't quote your post. ;)

Agreed regarding the M8, likely due to the visual breakup of the bezel by the speakers and HTC logo bar on the bottom. In actuality, the M8 and the iPhone 5S are pretty close in overall size ratio (2.07 vs. 2.11, respectively)

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Not screen. Actual shape of the phone. The phone looks too stretched. I'm talking about adding width, along with length, for this next iphone, so it looks in proportion. Why do you assume I was referring to the screen? I specifically talked about the 'shape' in the post you referenced.

----------

Without its length, Apple would be subject to some odd fingerprint implementation b/c they couldn't get the entire finger on their button. That is until touch id works on the screen.

And if you have an issue w/ this, you must have an issue w/ devices like the Nexus 7. It is equally disproportionate .

And that is really what has hurt the design, the screen has been narrow because of it.

Actually, from a pure design pov, it is balanced and well designed, many appreciate this, reviewers gush over it. Look at the leading Android flagship phones, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S5/Note 3, Nexus 5, they are all actually disproportionate, which is odd for the Samsung and LG devices b/c there isn't really a reason other than overall size, to justify a slight difference in bezel size. With HTC, it is just it is their choice to add bezel w/ their branding and capacitive buttons.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I honestly don't care about the size of the top bezel. If it is as big as the bottom one with the home button or smaller, it makes no difference. What matters is the bottom bezel because the size of the bottom bezel determines how far away the top of the screen is from your thumb. If they keep the bottom bezel as huge as it is now, the top left corner (where back buttons are on iOS) will be very far away from the thumb. Changing the size of the top bezel doesn't change how far away top left corner is from the thumb. They need to reduce the bottom bezel, but they won't now that they have Touch ID.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
And if you have an issue w/ this, you must have an issue w/ devices like the Nexus 7. It is equally disproportionate.

I do. I have always stated that the iPad Mini is the perfect size and ratio. And if the Nexus 8 is similar to the Mini's ratio, I think it will sell even more than the 7. I'd buy one. But if it is like the ratio of the Nexus 7, I'll pass.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
I don't see that happening. Design means everything to Apple, so there's no way they would go for asymmetrical bezels so long as they keep the same sized home button. If that weren't the case, then the top bezel on every iphone would have been thinner the the bottom one to keep the footprint down.

Going by the comparisons above the fact that the iphone 6 is noticeably narrower than its Android counterparts is what Apple will trumpet when it's unveiled - that and moving the power button to the side. You just know that Johnny Ive will go on stage and announce that they've created the first large-screened phone that can be used one-handed :rolleyes:

Ive doesn't do stage.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
That's what I've been thinking too. If it's really thin, as in less than 7mm, it could make up for the tallness. But on the other hand, most would prefer a large battery. I do hope Apple will surprise us, but I just think this will be it.

I will try to make a 5.5" iPhone too :)

I just don't see an asymmetrical iPhone happen, even though it would make more sense footprint wise. The Sharp Aquos Mini is a good example of what you could do without a top bezel.

You only need to get used to it :)

I think the Sharp Aquos Mini is sweet. I've never seen that before. I like it a lot better then the idea of a 4.7" iPhone significantly bigger than the Moto X.

Gcapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
Please show us the leaked specs!

Looks like the iPhone 6 will retain a ppi of 326
While the Galaxy S5, Nexus and HTC ONE had 440+ ppi..... Apple is falling behind

Only on 1GB of RAM on the iPhone 6,another bummer!

Hmmmmm....

Definition of Retina - pixels so close your eyes cannot distinguish them. Why would it be necessary to waste battery and processing power in order to support more USELESS pixels??

Also, why have more ram than necessary? You're comparing android requirements to iOS. Apples to oranges.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Hmmmmm....

Definition of Retina - pixels so close your eyes cannot distinguish them. Why would it be necessary to waste battery and processing power in order to support more USELESS pixels??

Also, why have more ram than necessary? You're comparing android requirements to iOS. Apples to oranges.

Just because Apple said you can't distinguish the pixels during the introduction doesn't mean you actually can't. I've seen 720p vs. 1080p android phones side by side and I could clearly see a difference. As for RAM, Safari tabs reloading is incredibly annoying and more RAM could stop that.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Without its length, Apple would be subject to some odd fingerprint implementation b/c they couldn't get the entire finger on their button. That is until touch id works on the screen.

And if you have an issue w/ this, you must have an issue w/ devices like the Nexus 7. It is equally disproportionate .

Actually, from a pure design pov, it is balanced and well designed, many appreciate this, reviewers gush over it. Look at the leading Android flagship phones, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S5/Note 3, Nexus 5, they are all actually disproportionate, which is odd for the Samsung and LG devices b/c there isn't really a reason other than overall size, to justify a slight difference in bezel size. With HTC, it is just it is their choice to add bezel w/ their branding and capacitive buttons.
I don't see the balance, there is wasted space that could be take up by more screen size. The Nexus 5 is not that much bigger than the iPhone and has a bigger screen.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Looks like the iPhone 6 will retain a ppi of 326
While the Galaxy S5, Nexus and HTC ONE had 440+ ppi..... Apple is falling behind

Only on 1GB of RAM on the iPhone 6,another bummer!

Are those said to be the final numbers on the iPhone 6? I cant believe they would release them already.

---------------

The pics of each phone in the OP are nice to compare. The LG G2 is a nice phone. I ended up getting a Nexus 5 but the G2 was my next choice. I really like the buttons on the back and the double tap to unlock and the great battery life.

Also i can noticably see how much taller the GS5 is than my N5. The M8 is just a big phone. Man its taller than the GS5. Dont think ill like that.

Last edited:

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Are those said to be the final numbers on the iPhone 6? I cant believe they would release them already.

It is a rumor from Kuo, but I would bet money on it being accurate. The idea is that Apple will make it easy for app developers to update apps for the new display, just like they have in the past.

By using a resolution of 1334x750, the ppi will remain exactly the same. Icons and UI elements would remain the exact same size they are now, but with extra space. It makes a lot of sense and is in the same vein as what they did with the change with the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5.

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/17/4-7-iphone-6-resolution/

CosmoFox

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2014
4.7" looks pretty good. They need to work on shrinking that bezel though. I like that LG G2 Mini. The screen size is more important though. A smaller bezel would be nice, and is no doubt coming in the future, but 4" is just not enough for me. I'm not on my phone all day like some people, but when I use it, I want a better experience.

My main gripe about iOS is the keyboard is too damn small. Auto correct works pretty good, but even my average sized hands have trouble typing those tiny keys. I'm hoping 4.7" will eliminate a good portion of this annoyance for me. Or just add swype or whatever it's called.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.