Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iZollo

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Here is what I use with a iPad mini retina with unlimited LTE data. Works great bought from amazon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 427

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I think you'd need to check with your local state or municipality. It's possible that it may be prohibited in some communities and not others.
^ This. Laws vary by jurisdiction so don't rely on generalizations or discussion forum legal experts.

Wouldn't it be prudent to ask a cop?
Not necessarily. Some aren't aware of certain laws or don't properly understand them.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
*obviously they're not illegal to sell, but rather is it illegal to have one mounted and on whilst operating a vehicle? Perhaps there are minor allowances to the rule, say, Google Maps is okay according to the law but not YouTube? I truly don't know and figure I'd ask before purchasing one on eBay.

There's a cup holder ipad version for less th ten bucks but seems to close to me while driving, forcing me to look down.

As suction cup version that adheres to your windshield goes for 15$ but this looks unsafe with a 3rd gen heavy ipad.

I'm looking at one that bolts to the passenger seat and goes for $30ish

Any tips, help n opinions welcome. :)

Inside the US, if any government prohibits using a mount, it would most likely be a state government. Therefore, you should look at the law books, or call the Highway Patrol departments, of each state you plan on driving in.

Edit: A poster on this thread said this is a gray area because the iPad can also be used for attention-grabbing things like videos and games.

Last edited:

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Hey, driving on long flat interstates can be boring! I guess the dude just wants to be able to watch movies while he's driving.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I use this one daily. For mapping. It works great with my rMini. Naked or with a thin Monoprice case. Because it mounts in the CD slot, it is easily removable and transferable to my other vehicles.
Universal Car CD Slot Mount for iPad Mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 http://r.ebay.com/Gbf0tD

iZollo

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I use this one daily. For mapping. It works great with my rMini. Naked or with a thin Monoprice case. Because it mounts in the CD slot, it is easily removable and transferable to my other vehicles.
Universal Car CD Slot Mount for iPad Mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 http://r.ebay.com/Gbf0tD

That's the one pictured above that I use. It is great especially when I rent a car and travel and use it as a gps. Very easy to move from car to car and also it holds the iPhone 5s.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I think you'd need to check with your local state or municipality. It's possible that it may be prohibited in some communities and not others.

Exactly what I was going to say. That sort of thing really does vary from one jurisdiction to the other.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Great. People can't drive as it is so we are now trying to have iPads blocking their view and redirecting their attention. Awesome. What's next? Can I mount a 50" plasma TV on the dash so I can watch Star Wars while driving to work?

Screens have NO place in a car at all. Even nav systems are dangerous enough. It's too hard to look up directions.

Unbelievable.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Great. People can't drive as it is so we are now trying to have iPads blocking their view and redirecting their attention. Awesome. What's next? Can I mount a 50" plasma TV on the dash so I can watch Star Wars while driving to work?

Screens have NO place in a car at all. Even nav systems are dangerous enough. It's too hard to look up directions.

Unbelievable.

Would a paper map that doesn't talk to the driver be safer?

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Would a paper map that doesn't talk to the driver be safer?

Of course not but we know that a mounted iPad will not be used just for directions with Siri or whatever. That'd be fine. It won't stop there though. There will be texting, typing, playing games, whatever. That's the problem.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
Anyone who says they're only going to check a map or listen to music on their iPad while driving is lying. I'd love to see them ignore an incoming email. And from there, it's only a small jump to the sports scores, calendar, weather, and the boob pics someone just sexted.

Yes, I know, none of you are that stupid, right? :rolleyes:

If you were just killing yourselves off, I'd call it Natural Selection, but you'll be taking a lot of innocent people with you. Oh sorry, I didn't mean YOU, of course, because you can handle it. I meant someone else.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Anyone who says they're only going to check a map or listen to music on their iPad while driving is lying. I'd love to see them ignore an incoming email. And from there, it's only a small jump to the sports scores, calendar, weather, and the boob pics someone just sexted.

If you were just killing yourselves off, I'd call it Natural Selection, but you'll be taking a lot of innocent people with you. Oh sorry, I didn't mean YOU, of course, because you can handle it. I meant someone else.

I watch Netflix on my com cut to work everyday. I never get boobs sexted to me though. :(

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Of course not but we know that a mounted iPad will not be used just for directions with Siri or whatever. That'd be fine. It won't stop there though. There will be texting, typing, playing games, whatever. That's the problem.

These are both rather large generalizations. I do not have my mount installed yet, but at this point I use the rMini in my car for Spotify using the offline mode.

When doing this, my rMini is on airplane mode, so no notifications for iMessage, Email, etc.

When using Maps in the future, iMessage and Email notifications (and push) will remain off to conserve data.

However, unlike both of you, I cannot speak for or accuse others of doing other things with their iPad.

I would also like to point out that this problem of distracted drivers is not exclusive to iPads (mounted or not). Look at how many new cars have "infotainment" systems from the factory. Additionally, the iPad in the car is not far off from a larger phone, which people have had in cars for a while.

For example:
tesla_model_s_dashboard_touchscreen-580x383.jpeg

The problem does not stem from the device, it is the driver.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
However, unlike both of you, I cannot speak for or accuse others of doing other things with their iPad.

I can. See below.

I would also like to point out that this problem of distracted drivers is not exclusive to iPads (mounted or not). Look at how many new cars have "infotainment" systems from the factory.

So what? Does adding distractions from the factory make it better than bringing in your own distractions? Does that excuse people from being distracted because "if it wasn't OK, they wouldn't have built it in"?

The problem does not stem from the device, it is the driver.

Unfortunately, not all drivers are as conscientious as you. Not the guy that hit my wife while he was texting, and not my friend who crashed into a parked car while looking for a song.

You can't POSSIBLY believe that giving "infotainment" to people operating motor vehicles is a good thing. Or can you? You may be one of the very few that can handle it, but tell the truth… do you really think the average teenager or idiot adult won't use their iPad for other things while they're driving? Be honest. Do you REALLY think this is a good thing for everyone? (Not talking about you, of course!):confused:

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I can. See below.

So what? Does adding distractions from the factory make it better than bringing in your own distractions? Does that excuse people from being distracted because "if it wasn't OK, they wouldn't have built it in"?

Unfortunately, not all drivers are as conscientious as you. Not the guy that hit my wife while he was texting, and not my friend who crashed into a parked car while looking for a song.

You can't POSSIBLY believe that giving "infotainment" to people operating motor vehicles is a good thing. Or can you? You may be one of the very few that can handle it, but tell the truth… do you really think the average teenager or idiot adult won't use their iPad for other things while they're driving? Be honest. Do you REALLY think this is a good thing for everyone? (Not talking about you, of course!):confused:

I think where you are confused is that I am only talking about myself, while you seem to be talking about everyone.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
I think where you are confused is that I am only talking about myself, while you seem to be talking about everyone.

Well, you pointed out several things that concern others, not yourself, and I clearly said:

Unfortunately, not all drivers are as conscientious as you.

so you must have been confused about my reply.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I would think that, regardless of state laws about iPad car mounts, a police officer could give you a ticket for "distracted driving" if you make a mistake and get stopped. Possibly dubious, but you might or might not win if you went to court.

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
not illegal to be mounted

It is not specifically illegal for an iPad to be mounted, however, there are laws on the books against distracted driving. And a Police-person can site you for that even if you are not watching TV, Video, or Youtube. I personally use the "Steelie" magnetic mount, to mount both iPhone and iPad to my dashboard.
There are a few other similar ones out there as well.
https://www.niteize.com/collection/steelie.asp

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
My Ram Mount iPad mount can be used in the front or back seats -

ipad4_zpsf5deda46.jpg

ipad2_zpsac028bbd.jpg

Kids use it to watch Netflix in the back and I use it for other internet stuff in the front when I'm not driving. Only time while driving is for navigation.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Got this in and installed today. It holds firm in the CD slot using one of the supplied spacers. The iPad itself bounces a little, but not to the point where I would worry about it falling off.

That being said, I need to tighten the collar where the iPad height and angle are adjusted. I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it tonight since I had to go pick up my son. I will get it adjusted tomorrow and report back.

Overall, I am very happy with it.

NOTE: All pictures taken when either stopped at a red light or parked. :)

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I have what appears to be an identical mount with a brand name of "Ppyple" that I recently purchased from Amazon for about $33. I use it with my iPad retina mini and am totally pleased with it. It mounts in the CD slot of my Honda Fit and is in a perfect position for convenient use in that vehicle. One nice feature is that it allows the iPad to easily swivel to either vertical or horizontal orientation. The iPad can easily be installed or removed by use of the padded spring-loaded jaws. Absolutely nothing needs to be attached to the iPad. Ideal for those like me who prefer their iPads naked.

Of course I only use the Nav and music functions while in motion.

I can highly recommend this product. Only three things to be aware of:

If you keep your iPad in a case, evaluate how that may affect the convenience of using this mount.

Before buying, scope out the location of the CD player slot in your vehicle. Evaluate other functions on the dash in the vicinity and see what controls may be obscured by the iPad in both orientations. In my case, this was not a problem.

When ordering, make sure you get the model intended for the iPad Mini, which will be a generic "small tablet" version. They also make other models for iPhones, etc.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I have what appears to be an identical mount with a brand name of "Ppyple" that I recently purchased from Amazon for about $33. I use it with my iPad retina mini and am totally pleased with it. It mounts in the CD slot of my Honda Fit and is in a perfect position for convenient use in that vehicle. One nice feature is that it allows the iPad to easily swivel to either vertical or horizontal orientation. The iPad can easily be installed or removed by use of the padded spring-loaded jaws. Absolutely nothing needs to be attached to the iPad. Ideal for those like me who prefer their iPads naked.

Of course I only use the Nav and music functions while in motion.

I can highly recommend this product. Only three things to be aware of:

If you keep your iPad in a case, evaluate how that may affect the convenience of using this mount.

Before buying, scope out the location of the CD player slot in your vehicle. Evaluate other functions on the dash in the vicinity and see what controls may be obscured by the iPad in both orientations. In my case, this was not a problem.

When ordering, make sure you get the model intended for the iPad Mini, which will be a generic "small tablet" version. They also make other models for iPhones, etc.

I paid around $35 shipped for this one. Sounds like they are the same product under different names.

I tried it this morning with the Smart Cover on, no problems with fit. I can see how it would be a problem with bigger cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.