Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Thanks OP for the comparison

4.7" looks pretty good. They need to work on shrinking that bezel though. I like that LG G2 Mini. The screen size is more important though. A smaller bezel would be nice, and is no doubt coming in the future, but 4" is just not enough for me. I'm not on my phone all day like some people, but when I use it, I want a better experience.

My main gripe about iOS is the keyboard is too damn small. Auto correct works pretty good, but even my average sized hands have trouble typing those tiny keys. I'm hoping 4.7" will eliminate a good portion of this annoyance for me. Or just add swype or whatever it's called.

Much agreed. If the iPhone 6 is bigger than the moto x, then I'm not interested.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Yeah but it could have a HUGE battery volume as a result, and only a 47" screen. Compared to the galaxy s5, the battery life could be significantly better.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Yeah but it could have a HUGE battery volume as a result, and only a 47" screen. Compared to the galaxy s5, the battery life could be significantly better.

Too bad it looks like Apple focused on making it thinner than any other phone, possibly canceling out all potential battery life benefits from a larger screen size.

----------

Thanks OP for the comparison

Much agreed. If the iPhone 6 is bigger than the moto x, then I'm not interested.

Then you will not be interested. It is for sure going to be larger than the Moto X, possibly taller than a Nexus 5 according to some rumors.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Looks like the iPhone 6 will retain a ppi of 326
While the Galaxy S5, Nexus and HTC ONE had 440+ ppi..... Apple is falling behind

Only on 1GB of RAM on the iPhone 6,another bummer!

No, the PPI has to change.

Think about it: If you are taking the existing screen and stretching it larger, the PPI becomes less. The aspect ratio has nothing to do with it.

Either the iPhone 6 loses it's Retina PPI, or they change the PPI.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
No, the PPI has to change.

Think about it: If you are taking the existing screen and stretching it larger, the PPI becomes less. The aspect ratio has nothing to do with it.

Either the iPhone 6 loses it's Retina PPI, or they change the PPI.

Huh? The PPI can stay the same while the screen gets bigger. The screen will just show more.

arn

abdottb

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2014
I'm glad the OP wrote this. I actually wrote something regarding this too. My argument is that I think Apple should reduce the top bezel by 30% or so to keep the footprint as small as possible. Here's the link if anyone wants to read:

http://thetechblock.com/4-7-inch/

Also, if anyone cares, I've heard the screen resolution is going to double, again. 2272 x 1280

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
And that is really what has hurt the design, the screen has been narrow because of it.

People who call the iPhone screen "tall" or "narrow" don't understand aspect ratio. 16:9 is 16:9 whether it's on a 4" iPhone 5s (1136x640) or a 5.1" Galaxy S5 (1920x1080). The thicker bezel of the iPhone may make the phone itself appear tall, but the actual dimensions of the screen is the same as all flagship Android devices.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Some Android phones have powerful hardware for sure. Octocores and 4gigs of RAM. And yet it still feels laggy to me.

For once in your life actually use an iPhone for awhile. Browse the web, run apps, look up documents, etc. Then go back to your octocore android phone with 4gigs of ram and yet it still lags. Applications crash all the time. One phone will get the newest game while your 1 year older phone doesn't (fragmentation). You can only get on average 1 update for your phone. Where apple you can get the update when it comes out.

Explain to me how that is? Because I'm just going to say that iOS is the better operating system. I want the best and the iphone is the best. Do I want larger screens? Yes. I'm not going to sacrifice quality and the best operating system for a larger display however. :apple::apple::apple::apple:

While the Galaxy S5, Nexus and HTC ONE had 440+ ppi..... Apple is falling behind

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
It looks like they simply upscaled a 5s to account for the larger 4.7" screen but went ahead and upscaled everything including the top and bottom bezels. Those would stay the same size while the screen and case got bigger as there would be no reason for them to get bigger too. It's not like a larger phone means the Touch ID button or speaker slit is getting bigger too.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It looks like they simply upscaled a 5s to account for the larger 4.7" screen but went ahead and upscaled everything including the top and bottom bezels. Those would stay the same size while the screen and case got bigger as there would be no reason for them to get bigger too. It's not like a larger phone means the Touch ID button or speaker slit is getting bigger too.
I really doubt Apple will just upsize the whole phone without making case changes. I don't give much credibility to these mockups. Apple will have to change the form factor to fit a bigger screen.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Some Android phones have powerful hardware for sure. Octocores and 4gigs of RAM. And yet it still feels laggy to me.

For once in your life actually use an iPhone for awhile. Browse the web, run apps, look up documents, etc. Then go back to your octocore android phone with 4gigs of ram and yet it still lags. Applications crash all the time. One phone will get the newest game while your 1 year older phone doesn't (fragmentation). You can only get on average 1 update for your phone. Where apple you can get the update when it comes out.

Explain to me how that is? Because I'm just going to say that iOS is the better operating system. I want the best and the iphone is the best. Do I want larger screens? Yes. I'm not going to sacrifice quality and the best operating system for a larger display however. :apple::apple::apple::apple:

I know this is on the front page now, but this fud doesn't fly in the alternatives section :p we have all used ios :). If you've really spent time with both(and no not some crappy android phone), most find that they are quite equal. Certainly not the crushing as you describe it, at the very least.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA

I really hope they go 1080p, and not some bizarre lesser resolution. I'm not a fan of Android, or the plastic phones. But the screens are gorgeous. It's also ridiculous to have letter-boxing on pictures I take with my iPhone's own camera! I can understand older apps that weren't updated, but come on. I agree with you 100%, Apple is trailing on the display front.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

No offense, but you really have no idea what you're talking about. As said, this may be the common view in the iPhone circles, but in the real world, it's non sense.

My Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 do not lag at all. Zero. They use PURE Android. Not some knock off with a third party UI.

May I borrow your words and say, for once in your life actually use an (pure) Android device for awhile.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

This post is full of lies. Android does not lag at all.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
The screen still looks too narrow compared to the competitors. I'm not sure they've got the ratio right. We have to wait and see...

snprintf

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2014
Boo.

----------

No offense, but you really have no idea what you're talking about. As said, this may be the common view in the iPhone circles, but in the real world, it's non sense.

My Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 do not lag at all. Zero. They use PURE Android. Not some knock off with a third party UI.

May I borrow your words and say, for once in your life actually use an (pure) Android device for awhile.

I don't know, my friend's new Galaxy Nexus lags a ton.

----------

I'm glad the OP wrote this. I actually wrote something regarding this too. My argument is that I think Apple should reduce the top bezel by 30% or so to keep the footprint as small as possible. Here's the link if anyone wants to read:

http://thetechblock.com/4-7-inch/

Also, if anyone cares, I've heard the screen resolution is going to double, again. 2272 x 1280

Well, I give up. Not going to make a 2272x1280 version of my app. Those with a big-screen iPhone will have to deal with it. Apple's policy of non-fragmentation might take a hit soon :(

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
I just wish Apple would create a large display iPhone to put this whole stupid "which size is better" argument to rest. I simply refuse to believe most consumers in the world want a super-sized display for a smartphone. I do believe Apple should be offering a choice in iPhone display size because I don't see how it would hurt a wealthy company like Apple to do so if every other smartphone company on the planet is capable of doing so. As soon as Apple releases a large display iPhone I'm sure the tech pundits will be criticizing Apple for something else they feel the iPhone is lacking. There is no such thing as a totally perfect device that satisfies everyone. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.