Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
I want a larger screen
thicker device for better battery
better slomo
NFC ( i know it ain't gonna happen)

kinetic charging would be bad ass.

And as far as the software, lots of the stuff I jailbreak for. Some as simple as having the ability to move a damn app icon to where ever I want it on the screen. It still bothers the heck out of me why this is not an option.

Hunter78

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2013
Iphone 6 i like to see bigger screen about 5.5-5.7 inch 2560x1440. Liket too have micrSD, NFC, Better battry, remove battery, more Ram, better speaker.

Hmm It sounds like a Samsung Note 4 or LG G3 not something we get from Apple.

Today you can have 128 GB micrSD card and 32GB in the phone total 160GB.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Hardware

2GB RAM
128GB (32GB entry)
Better camera
Thin bezels

Software

Widgets in the Notification Center
Integrate Spotlight search into notification center - put it on top

Set Default apps
Delete/Hide stock apps

Data usage monitor

Multitasking gestures (Zephyr)

Camera.app needs Timer, time/date/location imprinting, stabilization shot, 720p @ 60FPS recording option, White balance, Exposure, Light sensitivity(ISO), Contrast, Sharpness, all of these should be added.

Maps - Drop more than one pin on the map, route between them

Delete photos from Photo Library
Being able to view file information in photos (say date of taking etc)

Prevent shut down when the phone is locked

Delivery notification for normal SMS messages

Snooze time configuration option for alarm, (amount of snoozes, time in between)

Calendar events in Notification Center/Lockscreen - Configure look at head
Calendar event badges on calendar(with an ability to adjust how far in advance you can see your events, 24hours, 7 days, 14 days, etc..)
Birthday's in Calendar - show how old is person is turning into

Pictures in the Notes.app

Safari - Tap and hold the tabs button to show closed tab history

Smart Playlist creation on the iPhone

iMessage - Needs an ability to share location(Map) like with WhatsApp, right from the iMessage. Current you can only send photos from iMessage, but Maps and Contacts shortcuts should be added too. Also it would be great if the image EXIF data was preserved when sent so the receiver could "open" that image in Maps and navigate... quickly snap a picture of a location, send it, the receiver gets the image, taps "Open in Maps" and finds the route to you.

iTunes:
Drag and drop(manually manage) pictures, ringtones(you can drag and drop a ringtone now but only one) without the need to sync.
Pick Audio output card

carboncocoa

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Hardware Appearance
  • Black front + silver back option
  • More comfortable to hold
  • Shiny, chamfered, edges like now

Hardware Functionality
  • Even better battery life (and not just equivalent)
  • More forwards compatible with future OS versions
  • Zoom lens, even “just” 3× (while not sacrificing clarity)
  • Improved image stabilization and low-light performance

Software
  • In-notification actions (e.g. replies to messages)
  • Live icons (configurable)
  • More refined home screen
  • Camera apps can access HDR mode

DiscoMcDisco

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
London
I like the idea of a 6 Air (5"-6" screen to capture the entire Phablet range up to iPad Mini). I wouldn't buy one, but it would allow for a significant difference between the current form factor (with as big a screen as they can fit into it) in the marketplace.

Depending on how things have improved, we could prob get to 4.2/4.3" in the current 5S case size.

Decent upgrades to clarity, lens quality, stability etc for the camera would be excellent. I still hate the low light issue, but even pro-cameras require decent flash to get the quality we're all looking for. HDR could also have the ranges improved dramtically, perhaps the option to customise the number of exposures used could be good here (replacing, or augmenting, the 'live filter' crap everyone has in everything now).

Build quality is the next one for me. The 5 was shocking, I've literally shaved all the edges on my phone by a good 2-3mm now. I haven't seen the 5S in long enough use to see if that stayed an issue or not (in the Space Grey model anyways).

For iOS 8, I think this next step is going to be dragging out as many core service API's as possible. I want to be able to set defaults, enable passcode per app etc etc.. There are core settings in general that should be made into services that any third party app can use. That would be killer for me. This includes Siri... Spotify Siri intg would be perfect, "Open Spotify and play songs by Mansun" ... I think the scope for that in iOS8 is massive and shouldn't be discounted as a potential game changer (giving the android folk something less to shout about haha)

I think the rest of it is just going to be 'growing' up from the 'Hot' colour ranges. We've seen some of this being addressed already in 7.1, but I think it can all be done in a more grown up way. I find that choosing a background really does affect my enjoyment of iOS7 and how the interface as a whole picks up the colours etc. Perhaps the way to work with this further is to have the white point set by the choice of background, subtly adjusting the colour width in use.

From a tech point of view, I'd defo like to see contactless charging OOTB, as well as NFC (with additional passcode/touchID security options). I think speaker quality could also be greatly improved for this generation, perhaps the speaker glass has been refined enough now that it could be used in phones and we can do away with speaker ports on the top of the phone screen (giving more real-estate to play with).

I think I'd like to see more status on the edges on the phone as well, if I'm in silent mode, enable more stuff around the phone so I can see whats going on without looking at the screen. There was a great concept for this edge screen stuff a while back, but I'm thinking something much subtler. I have a nice glowey sleeping thing on my mac, that just shines through the chassis.. more of that please :)

Anyways, I've rambled enough now... I'll just leave that along with the rest of the suggestions in this thread.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
man why do some people still want 3.5" displays.. in a world where we have such high resolution beautiful content available at all times, why do you want to experience it on the go in such a restricted window :confused:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Hardware specs need to include a 1080p screen and USB 3.0.

Software: DEFAULT APPS

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
What do you want to see in iPhone 6

Here's my wish list:
  1. Bigger screen but same iPhone size (even a 4.5 would be enough) so I can see things on screen easily and use it with 1 hand (look at the picture I sent)
  2. Same ppi but less reflections and more durable screen. (Sapphire and something that prevents iPhone's screen break would be great)
  3. More battery, Imagine you do not need to charge you iPhone for 3 days, Apple would sell tons of them.
  4. Not more megapixels but improvement on camera quality, Apple does not need marketing gimmicks to fool people, so instead incerasing megapixels, incerasing image quality, more image stabilisation and better pictures in dark etc. would be awesome.
  5. Rapid charging battery, if Apple cannot make battery bigger, making a battery that charges insanely fast would be great
  6. A different design, Apple used this design for almost 4 years, it's already great but switching to a new design would be good, like iPod Touch-like iPhone
  7. More durable body, I wish Apple makes iPhone 6 more resistant to drops and stratches.

Attachments

• 5svs6 kopya.png
    5svs6 kopya.png
    112.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The sad reality is Apple will not implement 90% of everything you guys listed. This happens every year.

I personally would like to see an option of having a 5' screen iPhone, whether or not they include smaller sized screens as an option. That's a must for me to even consider going back to the iPhone.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
The sad reality is Apple will not implement 90% of everything you guys listed. This happens every year.

I personally would like to see an option of having a 5' screen iPhone, whether or not they include smaller sized screens as an option. That's a must for me to even consider going back to the iPhone.

That's because Apple is doing what Microsoft did when they found success with Windows 95. Meaning, stall innovating as long as possible so they can make money hand over first as long as possible. They will do this until someone "disrupts" they business model - they way Microsoft was forced to innovate in the face of the iPhone disruption to their ways of computing.

Think about it. We'd still be doing everything on a desktop if it was up to Microsoft because that's how they made their money. We'd still be on a desktop today if Apple didn't come along and "disrupt".

There are so many things that Apple can do with the iPhone it's mind boggling why they haven't. Here we are approaching the SEVENTH year since the iPhone launch and we are still at 16GB base capacity. There's no reason we shouldn't be at 256GB storage by now (not all of us wants to stream or have data in the cloud). Apple buy so much flash storage they can single handedly lower prices for storage.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
And for the love of all that is good, do something about the Music and Mail apps. They are completely unusable from a interaction standpoint.

Also, the Photos app needs a SELECT ALL feature.

App interoperability. Apps should be able to share data with each other without me having four versions of the same freaking file, especially with photos. "Open in..." is just too limited.

Basic stuff Apple. Basic stuff.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
That's because Apple is doing what Microsoft did when they found success with Windows 95. Meaning, stall innovating as long as possible so they can make money hand over first as long as possible. They will do this until someone "disrupts" they business model - they way Microsoft was forced to innovate in the face of the iPhone disruption to their ways of computing.

Think about it. We'd still be doing everything on a desktop if it was up to Microsoft because that's how they made their money. We'd still be on a desktop today if Apple didn't come along and "disrupt".

There are so many things that Apple can do with the iPhone it's mind boggling why they haven't. Here we are approaching the SEVENTH year since the iPhone launch and we are still at 16GB base capacity. There's no reason we shouldn't be at 256GB storage by now (not all of us wants to stream or have data in the cloud). Apple buy so much flash storage they can single handedly lower prices for storage.

MS was trying to push Windows Mobile to the mainstream and was actually gaining great momentum until the iPhone 3G released. Everything went downhill for Windows Mobile since.

But I completely get what you are saying and agree. IMO, Apple is at the crossroads with the iPhone, for better or worse.

nerdAFK

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2014
-4.7" Edge to Edge display, 1080P is enough. It does make it huge huge difference.
-New Design, seriously. Look at how far the HTC One M7/M8 has come! Time to say goodbye to the 2010 iPhone 4!
-At least 2-Day batt! Don't make it even thinner! Stop that up to 10hrs battery life. How about 20, 24hrs
-1080P 60fps high quality video recording!
-1080P 120fps SlowMo if possible
-OIS! Nuff said.
-Better low light capture, both photos and videos. Like the HTC One!
-2G RAM or more! Make use of DAT hungary 64bit chip.
-4K video maybe, but not necessarily. If 4K, 8MP is a little short.
-Touch ID is a little bit stiff to click on the current 5s. Make it soft like old times.
-Sensors! Sensors! Sensors! Whatever Sensors they are! JK. :D

vancleef

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
-4.7" Edge to Edge display, 1080P is enough. It does make it huge huge difference.
-New Design, seriously. Look at how far the HTC One M7/M8 has come! Time to say goodbye to the 2010 iPhone 4!
-At least 2-Day batt! Don't make it even thinner! Stop that up to 10hrs battery life. How about 20, 24hrs
-1080P 60fps high quality video recording!
-1080P 120fps SlowMo if possible
-OIS! Nuff said.
-Better low light capture, both photos and videos. Like the HTC One!
-2G RAM or more! Make use of DAT hungary 64bit chip.
-4K video maybe, but not necessarily. If 4K, 8MP is a little short.
-Touch ID is a little bit stiff to click on the current 5s. Make it soft like old times.
-Sensors! Sensors! Sensors! Whatever Sensors they are! JK. :D

A lot of people seem to hail the design of the new HTC One. I might be ignorant but I don't quite see it, would you be kind and explain what makes it a good design?

nerdAFK

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2014
A lot of people seem to hail the design of the new HTC One. I might be ignorant but I don't quite see it, would you be kind and explain what makes it a good design?

One word, it's beautiful.
Purely judging by the look of it, the original One is still THE sexiest phone on the market, even after more than a year since its debut. Some think the One M8 is a little better, while some prefer M7.
That curved aluminum back is the only offering beside Apple. And because of that curvature, it feels even better. The new M8 feels even better in hand with more curvature. And after a year, my M7 is still brand new.

I'm not very good with words. You have to use it to feel it.
Of course the One is not without its shortcomings, like the power button is not that easy to access with one hand (albeit I barely use it because of double tap to wake and some other nice little easy tweak), the volume toggle is not easy to feel, and the a little too big bezels. But no smartphones are perfect yet. It's at the very top.

The iPhone is still pretty sexy, maybe right after the One. But that 2010 iPhone 4 look is really starting to make my iPhone 5s look too old and boring.
I mentioned HTC One not wishing Apple to put its design language into the next iPhone, but because HTC's bold design (as always) really deserves all the credits (and much much better sales). Of course Apple doesn't necessarily have to risk anything new to get millions of sales. But it's really time to change the look of the iPhone. They can't/shouldn't stuck on that front face forever.

vancleef

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
One word, it's beautiful.
Purely judging by the look of it, the original One is still THE sexiest phone on the market, even after more than a year since its debut. Some think the One M8 is a little better, while some prefer M7.
That curved aluminum back is the only offering beside Apple. And because of that curvature, it feels even better. The new M8 feels even better in hand with more curvature. And after a year, my M7 is still brand new.

I'm not very good with words. You have to use it to feel it.
Of course the One is not without its shortcomings, like the power button is not that easy to access with one hand (albeit I barely use it because of double tap to wake and some other nice little easy tweak), the volume toggle is not easy to feel, and the a little too big bezels. But no smartphones are perfect yet. It's at the very top.

The iPhone is still pretty sexy, maybe right after the One. But that 2010 iPhone 4 look is really starting to make my iPhone 5s look too old and boring.
I mentioned HTC One not wishing Apple to put its design language into the next iPhone, but because HTC's bold design (as always) really deserves all the credits (and much much better sales). Of course Apple doesn't necessarily have to risk anything new to get millions of sales. But it's really time to change the look of the iPhone. They can't/shouldn't stuck on that front face forever.

Thank you for your explanation.
I like that HTC went their own way in terms of design and I agree it is the best looking Android phone. Too many of the Android phones are look-a-likes of each other. Samsung especially could do more, I think. My soon 2 year old S3 looks terrible compared to my 4 year old iPhone 4.

I have to see the M8 IRL to decide if it beats any of the recent iPhones aesthetically. I do like many of the Nokia Lumia also.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Bigger screen. 4.7" is optimum as I find the 5" Android phones to be way too silly big.
At least 2GB of RAM
Much better battery life
Improved signal strength
Volume and sleep buttons which don't work loose over time. Mine were loose out of the box!
A non-physical home button
Better camera, with image stabilisation
iOS8 with no bugs whatsoever

nerdAFK

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2014
Thank you for your explanation.
I like that HTC went their own way in terms of design and I agree it is the best looking Android phone. Too many of the Android phones are look-a-likes of each other. Samsung especially could do more, I think. My soon 2 year old S3 looks terrible compared to my 4 year old iPhone 4.

I have to see the M8 IRL to decide if it beats any of the recent iPhones aesthetically. I do like many of the Nokia Lumia also.

Hope you would like it, but if you don't appreciate the M7's beauty, it's likely the M8 also won't make you WOW.

The thing is, most of the time, taste is primarily subjective. While a lot of people would consider something a real beauty, some would just prefer it some other way. Take the iPhone for an instance, nobody could guarantee every smartphone owners think the iPhone is beautiful.

But most of the time, when most people speak highly of something. It's good indeed. And that applies both to the iPhone and M7/M8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.