Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
This is what I've come to learn about urban residential burglaries, alarms, and monitoring companies.

First the obvious, most residential burglaries are committed by amateurs.

An audible residential alarm will drive most of these away. No monitoring company is necessary.

A residential alarm will give false alarms resulting in annoying your neighbors and training them not to pay any attention and possibly even file a complaint with the police or city. The cities I'm familiar with all have ordinances that can result in fines for repeated false audible alarms.

None of the alarm companies I had experience with were too good. Some were better than others but most of the call takers as you'd expect weren't too sharp or motivated. Depending on the service subscription you pay for the alarm still sits in their lap as they follow your specific subscription order or until they call the police.

If you have an alarm company it will usually trigger a police response. Repeated police response to false alarm can result in a charge by the city. I'm familiar with a $90 per response charge for three or more false alarms within a six month period or maybe it was within the year (I don't remember right now). It's likely higher now.

Police know 99% of residential intrusion alarms are false and so do not give it a high priority which results in slow response time. The non-amateur burglar knows this too. However depending on the agency a glass breakage alarm might get a higher priority and a manually activated panic alarm usually assures a higher priority. Again most of these are false too and so if your system has given more false alarms in a set time period you'll likely receive bills from the city.

As I said in the last paragraph, non-amateurs know these things too and do not care whether a house is alarmed or not. They enter, take what they're after, and get out long before the police arrive. Amateurs take stupid stuff like TVs, game consoles, DVD players, etc. They will often (eventually) get caught with them in their possession, get backtracked to from a pawn shops, or be rolled over on by whomever buys it from them once they're caught with it.

Just my two cents worth.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
True. But we don't get notifications when someone enters, what door it was or when the alarm sounds. That's another fee.

You've just been robbed, lost $hundreds if not $thousands - you feel violated... and you're worrying about the $75 fee to get a report from the alarm company? A report the police could have subpoenaed for their investigation? Like I said... I'm not convinced that your family handled this very well.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
SQUILLY!!!!!!

Why must you lie on the internet?

You weren't robbed. There is no information on your area's police blotter regarding any type of burglary. There were several traffic citations issued on April, 9th, but that's it.

Please, stop with the ******** threads. It's annoying.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
SQUILLY!!!!!!

You weren't robbed. There is no information on your area's police blotter regarding any type of burglary. There were several traffic citations issued on April, 9th, but that's it.

With all due respect…. if you don't like the soap opera, turn the channel. Some of us enjoy the programming on this channel.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
SQUILLY!!!!!!

Hey friend, we aren't interested in the truth here: we're interested in Squilly!

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
SQUILLY!!!!!!

You want my police report number?

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Well, since you offered, I'd prefer to see your copy of the police report itself, not some number.

Feel free to redact personal information, of course...:)

We have this "victim/witness protection pamphlet" thing with a # on it.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
SQUILLY!!!!!!

I would have you know that this is a “Truth-adjacent” area of the forum, here troublesome facts, and burdens of proof, are not allowed to get in the way of the colourful tales of the brothers Squilly & Squally.;)

I am just waiting until the “Lambo” makes it’s overdue appearance.:cool:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Victim/witness pamphlet*
Will update with picture in the morning.

LOL

You do know that others live in your state and can confirm that police reports are not "pamphlets". If they gave you one it was because you supposedly got robbed by a friend who you thought you trusted (you are an easy mark) and you need to learn how life really works.

What do your parents say? It is clear you live with them.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
LOL

You do know that others live in your state and can confirm that police reports are not "pamphlets". If they gave you one it was because you supposedly got robbed by a friend who you thought you trusted (you are an easy mark) and you need to learn how life really works.

What do your parents say? It is clear you live with them.

They didn't give a report. It was a victim pamphlet with information, forms, and numbers to contact. They said to get the police involved.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
They didn't give a report. It was a victim pamphlet with information, forms, and numbers to contact. They said to get the police involved.

You do realize that "troopers" are Police Officers, yes? They are Stare Police (which wouldn't be at your house during a burglary in the first place, but it's clear you're lying, so that doesn't matter).

Also, if you called the police after someone broke into your house, it legally has to get posted on their Police Blotter. I looked, and it didn't. I looked from April 8th - 12th. I'll post a screenshot so everyone can enjoy this as well.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
SQUILLY!!!!!!

We know its not true but its fantastic entertainment!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
You do realize that "troopers" are Police Officers, yes? They are Stare Police (which wouldn't be at your house during a burglary in the first place, but it's clear you're lying, so that doesn't matter).

Also, if you called the police after someone broke into your house, it legally has to get posted on their Police Blotter. I looked, and it didn't. I looked from April 8th - 12th. I'll post a screenshot so everyone can enjoy this as well.

I can't speak about the blotter aspect, but with all due respect perhaps you may want to tone down your accusations slightly. I seem to recall that Squilly lives in Pennsylvania where (according to Dr. Wikipedia) State Troopers do in fact act as the primary police force in many communities which do not have their own local police. Which means it is entirely plausible that should there have been a robbery there would be Troopers staring around at the place looking for clues.
... and providing the full range of police protection for municipalities without full-time local police departments.
link

I have to assume you meant 'State Police', btw... though 'Stare Police' does leave a funny visual image for me....

And I'll say this again... if you don't like the entertainment on this channel... please turn the channel. No one is making you read this.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Weren't the trooper's there taking fingerprints? Or were those the victim services personnel doing their CSI stuff?

No, troopers said someone else would be coming to collect fingerprints.

----------

My township/city is run by the state police.

----------

We know its not true but its fantastic entertainment!

But it is true.

----------

I'm assuming folks from the Victim Liaison Office at your local precinct came by to drop off a few pamphlets?

No, the trooper that stopped by first gave us the pamphlet.

----------

I can't speak about the blotter aspect, but with all due respect perhaps you may want to tone down your accusations slightly. I seem to recall that Squilly lives in Pennsylvania where (according to Dr. Wikipedia) State Troopers do in fact act as the primary police force in many communities which do not have their own local police. Which means it is entirely plausible that should there have been a robbery there would be Troopers staring around at the place looking for clues. link

I have to assume you meant 'State Police', btw... though 'Stare Police' does leave a funny visual image for me....

And I'll say this again... if you don't like the entertainment on this channel... please turn the channel. No one is making you read this.

You're correct. We don't have a localized PD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.