Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I bought a new Pioneer receiver, and it has been working fine since I got it about a week ago. I have it hooked up to my TV with HDMI, and all my devices (PS4 and Mac Mini) connects directly to the receiver with HDMI.

So I was listening to music on my Mac Mini just now, and all of the sudden the sound disappeared. I tried AirPlaying from my iPhone directly to the receiver and this works just fine. I also tried switching to my PS4's HDMI channel and booted up the PS4, and this also works fine. But for some reason it won't play from my Mac Mini. If I turn off the receiver the Mac Mini plays through its built-in speakers, so it's not the computer that won't play. I also went into the sound settings and confirmed that my VSX-923 was selected.

On the receiver's display it'll normally display every speaker connected in the upper left corner. This information is now gone from my Mac Mini's channel (but if I go to the PS4 channel which is working fine, I still see all the connected speakers on the receiver's display).

Does anyone know what could be wrong? I have no clue, I tried some different settings on the front of the receiver but couldn't really fix anything. Would REALLY appreciate some help here as I currently have no sound at all now, and the NBA Playoffs is on :(

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Not sure about your, but on mine I have the option for 2 "sets of speakers" A and B. Maybe one or the other, or neither got selected for some reason.

The other thing might be somehow your sound inputs get mixed up by accident. I know I can assign nearly any sound input to the specific buttons on the front.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
try unplugging and re-plugging your HDMI cable, or swapping the cables around between your different devices.

on your mac, what's the sound output set on? either alt-click the volume icon in the menu bar or go into system settings.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Also restart your Mini, and do the same to your AVR.

If that doesn't solve it, power both off and unplug them for 1 minute.

If that doesn't work, do a factory reset to your AVR. You'll lose any settings you've changed. I imagine you haven't changed much in just a week.

If not, like one of the other posters said, change your HDMI cable. And check your Mac's audio output.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Sorry for the late reply guys, and thanks for the suggestions.

I just tried taking the HDMI cable out of my PS4 and inserted it in my Mac Mini. This means that I am now using the HDMI cable and the HDMI channel that I know works with my PS4, on my Mac Mini. However there is still no sound. This proves to me that the cable is not the reason, and it shouldn't be some settings that's on the receiver either since each channel has its own settings, and the PS4 channel which I am currently using (since I am currently using the HDMI cable from my PS4) should be working fine.

I have tried to reset my receiver to the factory settings, which didn't help. I've also tried pushing the speaker button that kinda selects between A, B, or AB, and a bunch of other buttons on the front panel (even though I'm not sure that the settings are the problem as mentioned above after my little PS4 cable swap).

I also tried looking in my Sound settings on the Mac Mini, and I can see it is set to use the receiver as output sound, so I guess that should be fine, right?

So here's something weird; like I said in my first post, all the connected speakers are normally shown on the display on my receiver. This was the case when I could get sound from my Mac Mini, and it is still the case when I go to the PS4 channel and boot up my PS4. So the weird thing is that when I restart my Mac Mini, for a few seconds I will see all the speakers shown on the receiver's display. However, when the Mac Mini is done booting up, the speakers on the display will disappear again. So it's like for a brief moment it recognizes all the speakers.

I'm wondering if there are any other settings I should be checking out on my Mac Mini? I tried contacting Pioneer, but they just told me to reset the receiver and that they were contacting me from a no-reply email (God, I love those), so now I'm currently waiting for a new support person to read my entire message again. I certainly trust you guys more than their support :D

Reactions: Irishman

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
the display doesn't signify the speakers that are connected, those are the channels in the signal coming into the receiver.
so listening to music it should just have L & R since it's stereo. (airplay should do this)

so you've messed up a setting on the mac.

go to "audio/midi setup" it's in applications/utilities
under HDMI what does it say in the 2 selections for format?

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
the display doesn't signify the speakers that are connected, those are the channels in the signal coming into the receiver.
so listening to music it should just have L & R since it's stereo. (airplay should do this)

so you've messed up a setting on the mac.

go to "audio/midi setup" it's in applications/utilities
under HDMI what does it say in the 2 selections for format?

Thanks man. Not entirely sure what I'm looking for here - I only see one "format" field. Here's how it looks: http://www.flickr.com/photos/122782653@N04/14013378871/

It's just weird if it's a setting that's messed up since I literally haven't done anything. I was in the kitchen listening to music from iTunes when suddenly the sound cut off, so I haven't even touched it.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I messed around with the different frequencies in the Format drop-down window, and now it works # I set it to the highest hz available, and now it plays like a charm. Awesome! Thanks man

Reactions: Irishman

Harry13

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2020
Hi man, congrats on fixing your issue. Believe or not, i am having the exact issue 6 years after you. Is there any chance that you can post how you fix this issue? Cheers

David Yuen

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2020
Hi Guys ,

Could you please advise me how to fix my Pioneer VSX-D810 , which has similar problem is here.
No sound on speakers, but able to select source , had perform all the test possible...
Please help Felixen and harry13

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Hi Guys ,

Could you please advise me how to fix my Pioneer VSX-D810 , which has similar problem is here.
No sound on speakers, but able to select source , had perform all the test possible...
Please help Felixen and harry13
98% of the time I had problems with airplay, it's been network related, and not due to a problem with either the sending or receiving device.

Try rebooting your router, and network gear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.