Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:51 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Facebook Expands Mobile App Portfolio with 'Moves' Fitness App Acquisition

Facebook today announced that it is acquiring mobile fitness app developer ProtoGeo Oy, reports the Wall Street Journal. The Helsinki-based company was founded in January 2012 and launched its first and only app, Moves [iTunes] one year later. The fitness tracking app debuted first for the iPhone and was made available for Android in August of 2013. It is popular, accruing 4 million downloads across both mobile platforms.

In a post on its website, ProtoGeo confirms Moves will continue to operate as a standalone app and adds that the company has no plans to share its fitness data with Facebook's social network.
Quote:
Today, we're delighted to announce that Facebook has acquired our company and the Moves app. Since we launched Moves, we've been focused on running a simple and clean activity diary that millions of people have enjoyed using.

Now, we're joining Facebook's talented team to work on building and improving their products and services with a shared mission of supporting simple, efficient tools for more than a billion people.

For those of you that use the Moves app - the Moves experience will continue to operate as a standalone app, and there are no plans to change that or commingle data with Facebook.
Moves stand out from competing fitness apps by automating the tedious process of data entry, which can be a hindrance to the effective use of a fitness tracking app. Move imports data from a variety of third-party apps and automatically detects activities such as entering the gym, going out to lunch or riding on public transit. On the iPhone, Moves supports Apple's M7 motion co-processor, which is available in the iPhone 5s.

This acquisition by Facebook is one of several high-profile app purchases by the social network as the company continues its expansion into the mobile app market. Moves will join Instagram, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and Paper, all of which operate as stand-alone apps under the Facebook umbrella.

The amount Facebook paid to acquire ProtoGeo was not revealed, but a Facebook spokesperson told the Wall Street Journal that the amount is "nowhere near the size of other acquisitions the company has made in recent months." Facebook announced earlier this year it was acquiring mobile messenger WhatsApp for $19 billion and Oculus Rift for $2 billion.

Article Link: Facebook Expands Mobile App Portfolio with 'Moves' Fitness App Acquisition
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:52 AM   #2
cymerc
macrumors member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeMrttj8Ucg
cymerc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:53 AM   #3
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

Another app I use a lot that I will be deleting now. Thanks Facebook
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:57 AM   #4
thepowerofnone
macrumors member

Nope. So much nope.

It was a pretty well designed app - certainly best in class. I want a refund.
thepowerofnone is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:57 AM   #5
samplane123
macrumors regular

I wish Facebook would stop buying every company that shows promise. It's getting creepy now, especially since this app tracks your location. I loved moves but doubt I'll be using it anymore.
samplane123 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:00 PM   #6
octothorpe8
macrumors 6502

THIS SUCKS

I love Moves and now I can't trust it anymore. Great.
octothorpe8 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:10 PM   #7
C64
macrumors 6502a

Great app, love it, always on, use it daily. However... no way I'm letting a Facebook-owned app track my every move, literally.

Exported my data, removed my account, deleted the app. I hope deleting my account means they actually delete the data, and it hasn't already been copied/backed up by Facebook.

Argh!
C64 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:15 PM   #8
borninla
macrumors newbie

This is the e-mail I got from them. They're saying that "there are no plans to... commingle data with Facebook". But, then again, what do we believe nowadays?

borninla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:16 PM   #9
CarlosQG
macrumors 6502a

Ugh, when is Facebook going to die? For me, the biggest letdown was when they purchased WhatsApp, luckily most of my friends now have iMessage.

Perhaps Healthbook may be a replacement for this app (and most fitness apps on the App Store?) I'd love to stay on a full Apple ecosystem.

Last edited by CarlosQG; Apr 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Damn typos...
CarlosQG is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:22 PM   #10
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

Is this an epidemic now ? Come on if you're not into fitness you probably never will be. Even though I use Facebook , in my mind Facebook is the epitome of mistrust
Ventilatedbrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:27 PM   #11
nwcs
macrumors 6502a

No plans to share data means no plans now. Next month they'll change their minds and not tell anyone because the TOU people accepted probably states (as most do) that terms can change any time.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:28 PM   #12
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninla View Post
This is the e-mail I got from them. They're saying that "there are no plans to... commingle data with Facebook". But, then again, what do we believe nowadays?

Sure, Moves has no plans. But I'll betcha Facebook does.
Boatboy24 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:29 PM   #13
goobot
macrumors 601

Go away Facebook, just die like MySpace, no one cares anymore.
goobot is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:34 PM   #14
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502a

Aw, schmidt. Why does Facebook have to ruin *everything*?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:44 PM   #15
C64
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcs View Post
No plans to share data means no plans now. Next month they'll change their minds and not tell anyone because the TOU people accepted probably states (as most do) that terms can change any time.
Exactly.

They're not buying this just for fun, the data is where the money is. Even if they don't get the data collected up to this point (which I doubt), some terms will change in the (near) future when the initial "nothing will change" statements have been forgotten, and suddenly they're logging everyone's location in real time.

NOPE.
C64 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:53 PM   #16
bnmcj1
macrumors regular

They are buying the internet. Someone stop it. Every good rising startup is just bought...
bnmcj1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:18 PM   #17
numlock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmcj1 View Post
They are buying the internet. Someone stop it. Every good rising startup is just bought...
the tone in the thread about apples acquisitions is quite different.

but i find it alarming the hold and amount of money these giants have and use it to control this market. its way to congested
numlock is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:30 PM   #18
C DM
macrumors G5

People who seemingly don't care about Facebook apparently care quite a bit about it for some reason.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:34 PM   #19
street.cory
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by numlock View Post
the tone in the thread about apples acquisitions is quite different.

but i find it alarming the hold and amount of money these giants have and use it to control this market. its way to congested
We're all here because we like using Apple products and when Apple buys a company, especially one that could help improve their product, we get excited.

I share the same sentiment with many others here for Facebook buying Moves. To me they're getting a too hungry for user data.

And you're right things are way too congested!

street.cory is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:42 PM   #20
tkermit
macrumors 68030

That's just great.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 03:25 PM   #21
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68020

As if I'd want other people on Facebook to know how much, and potentially where I workout.

I already have enough trouble finding good security for the throngs that follow me around as it is...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmcj1 View Post
Well, with taxes so low, and profits so high, it's to be expected. Eventually, with government assistance of course, i see the whole internet, and largely the totality of our 'civilization' will be owned and operated by less than 5 companies. It will be 'for our own good' too...
PinkyMacGodess is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 05:02 PM   #22
CosmoFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
People who seemingly don't care about Facebook apparently care quite a bit about it for some reason.
Most normal people hate Facebook. You must work there to love it so much.
CosmoFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 05:21 PM   #23
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoFox View Post
Most normal people hate Facebook. You must work there to love it so much.
Right, that's a totally rational statement to make (including the reference to "normal" people).
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:39 PM   #24
davidwarren
macrumors 6502a

if you want to try a really great app that is similar, try Argus. I really like it.
davidwarren is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:23 PM   #25
plasticparadox
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
if you want to try a really great app that is similar, try Argus. I really like it.
Thanks for that.
plasticparadox is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion