Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:30 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tim Cook Auctions Charity Lunch Meeting at Apple HQ

Charity auction site CharityBuzz is hosting a second listing to meet with Apple CEO Tim Cook at Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California, this time offering a lunch meeting.

The auction is the second Cook has volunteered his time for, with last year's coffee auction raising $610,000 for the RFK Center for Justice & Human Rights. The 2014 auction benefits the same cause, which aims to achieve a "just and peaceful world by partnering with human rights leaders, teaching social justice and advancing corporate responsibility."

Two people can meet with Cook for lunch, for approximately one hour. The cost of the meal is included, and the auction winner must agree to travel to Cupertino for the meeting, which will be scheduled on a "mutually agreed upon date."

The current high bid on the auction, which has an estimated value of $100,000, is at $10,000 with 19 days left to go. The auction will end on Tuesday, May 13. Due to shill bids last year, all bidders are required to submit credit card authorization to bid.

Article Link: Tim Cook Auctions Charity Lunch Meeting at Apple HQ
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:34 PM   #2
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Credit card authorization... of $50k, $100k? Lol, I think I'll sit this one out. I have an AMEX business card with no set limit, but pigs would fly when they'd authorize me to spend $50k. I guess I'll have to visit Cupertino and just sit behind him when he's out to lunch.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Legend of Ive
macrumors newbie

I'm only bidding if Tim brings the drinks
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:38 PM   #4
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040

I wish I had the money to bid on that.
The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:39 PM   #5
DoggyByte
macrumors newbie

Only reason i'd like to meet him is to tell him what piece of ***** he is. Ever since he's took over all the products lost their quality! I'm speaking of the flimsy iPad air, the completely unrepairable iMac, MBPr and mostly every product they have right now. Everything is glued! It's a time where form is superior than function.
DoggyByte is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:39 PM   #6
jrath1
macrumors member

Can i pick the lunch location. I'm thinking sleazy strip club
jrath1 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:44 PM   #7
maflynn

If it were Steve Jobs or Woz, then that would be worth it. I don't think Cook brings much to the table in terms of vision or desire for innovation. He's a great manager, but I don't think of Tim Cook when I think apple/innovation.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:46 PM   #8
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrath1 View Post
Can i pick the lunch location. I'm thinking sleazy strip club
Agreed. The best business transactions occur there.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:46 PM   #9
BrockC
macrumors regular

I won last year, he's a lot of fun.
BrockC is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:47 PM   #10
C00rDiNaT0r
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to C00rDiNaT0r Send a message via MSN to C00rDiNaT0r
Quote:
Originally Posted by furi0usbee View Post
Credit card authorization... of $50k, $100k? Lol, I think I'll sit this one out. I have an AMEX business card with no set limit, but pigs would fly when they'd authorize me to spend $50k. I guess I'll have to visit Cupertino and just sit behind him when he's out to lunch.
IIRC your AMEX's limit is relative to your average spending in the last 6 months, and you can check on their site after you log in. My friend's AMEX plat would clear him for 60k, while he only spends a few thousand a month.
C00rDiNaT0r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:47 PM   #11
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

If I have that kind of money to bid, I would probably be able to meet him on high end social event, unless i'm doing it for charity.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:55 PM   #12
surfingarbo
macrumors member

If anybody's interested in having lunch with me near my office, I'm only charging $10,000.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:09 PM   #13
Reason077
macrumors 65816

I'd buy that for a dollar!

But no more than that.
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:15 PM   #14
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockC View Post
I won last year, he's a lot of fun.
Did you really?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingarbo View Post
If anybody's interested in having lunch with me near my office, I'm only charging $10,000.
Wow that sounds like a deal
The Doctor11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:18 PM   #15
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Could we bid as a group and all show up?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:21 PM   #16
street.cory
macrumors 6502

What would you even talk about at a lunch like this? I mean, aside from having lunch with the CEO of Apple and having pleasant conversation I just don't see the value.

street.cory is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:49 PM   #17
chumpy34
macrumors regular

I hope whoever wins this bid/lunch date, at some point asks Tim what time it is? Just to see if he accidentally pulls back his long-sleeve button down to reveal the iWatch Of course, if he did, you might not make it back to your car!

----------

Wow, really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyByte View Post
Only reason i'd like to meet him is to tell him what piece of ***** he is. Ever since he's took over all the products lost their quality! I'm speaking of the flimsy iPad air, the completely unrepairable iMac, MBPr and mostly every product they have right now. Everything is glued! It's a time where form is superior than function.
chumpy34 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:13 PM   #18
jarred125
macrumors regular

Or just give it to a charity you enjoy. Funny how many need to have an incentive to want to give.
jarred125 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:46 PM   #19
WinstonRumfoord
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
... social justice...
I'm sure they mean well, but I can't help but gag when I hear that term.
WinstonRumfoord is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:56 PM   #20
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyByte View Post
Sounds like you mama never taught you how to take care of your toys. There's a difference between how you should treat sophisticated electronic equipment and a football. I'm on my 3rd pair of iMacs, and 4th iPad, and have never needed a repair or replacement. You're obviously holding them wrong.
JHankwitz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 03:02 PM   #21
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post
who really cares about gays anyways, except for themselves the only thing I want to know is why they have to get in everyone's faces about it and can't just accept themselves and keep it to themselves. in my experience some do, but most don't.
If those stupid straight people at the office would stop asking me what I did last weekend and how my family is doing, I wouldn't have to rub it in their faces by answering their questions truthfully with "my husband and I went out to a metal concert and then we had some beers with some friends downtown at [insertanygaybarhere]".

And see, I just rubbed it in your face too
Old Apr 24, 2014, 03:55 PM   #22
koban4max
Banned

nobody bid till last minute..and let it be 1 dollar.
koban4max is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 06:04 PM   #23
DoggyByte
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
Sounds like you mama never taught you how to take care of your toys. There's a difference between how you should treat sophisticated electronic equipment and a football. I'm on my 3rd pair of iMacs, and 4th iPad, and have never needed a repair or replacement. You're obviously holding them wrong.
I'm saying that Apple have started to make everything as compact and unrepairable as possible. And on top of that, they make the device as underpowered as possible with bottlenecks like insufficient RAM etc.

Consumers won't be able to repair or upgrade their device. All this just to sell more devices.They have become greedy.

What makes me sick is all their bullcrap on caring about the environment when they do everything in their power to sell more. If they really cared they wouldn't be blinded by money.
DoggyByte is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 06:26 PM   #24
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Watch Icahn win it.
noisycats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 06:29 PM   #25
racer1441
macrumors 68000

If they really cared to make this big, it would be two events.

1) a guaranteed meeting to the highest bidder as it stands

2) a second lunch won by drawing. Tickets could be bought for $25 or so.

That way a small business owner or start up person can get some facetime with Tim Cook vs a already successful rich person.
racer1441 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion