Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Charity auction site CharityBuzz is hosting a second listing to meet with Apple CEO Tim Cook at Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California, this time offering a lunch meeting.

cookauction.jpg
The auction is the second Cook has volunteered his time for, with last year's coffee auction raising $610,000 for the RFK Center for Justice & Human Rights. The 2014 auction benefits the same cause, which aims to achieve a "just and peaceful world by partnering with human rights leaders, teaching social justice and advancing corporate responsibility."

Two people can meet with Cook for lunch, for approximately one hour. The cost of the meal is included, and the auction winner must agree to travel to Cupertino for the meeting, which will be scheduled on a "mutually agreed upon date."

The current high bid on the auction, which has an estimated value of $100,000, is at $10,000 with 19 days left to go. The auction will end on Tuesday, May 13. Due to shill bids last year, all bidders are required to submit credit card authorization to bid.

Article Link: Tim Cook Auctions Charity Lunch Meeting at Apple HQ

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Credit card authorization... of $50k, $100k? Lol, I think I'll sit this one out. I have an AMEX business card with no set limit, but pigs would fly when they'd authorize me to spend $50k. I guess I'll have to visit Cupertino and just sit behind him when he's out to lunch.

DoggyByte

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
Only reason i'd like to meet him is to tell him what piece of ***** he is. Ever since he's took over all the products lost their quality! I'm speaking of the flimsy iPad air, the completely unrepairable iMac, MBPr and mostly every product they have right now. Everything is glued! It's a time where form is superior than function.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If it were Steve Jobs or Woz, then that would be worth it. I don't think Cook brings much to the table in terms of vision or desire for innovation. He's a great manager, but I don't think of Tim Cook when I think apple/innovation.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
Credit card authorization... of $50k, $100k? Lol, I think I'll sit this one out. I have an AMEX business card with no set limit, but pigs would fly when they'd authorize me to spend $50k. I guess I'll have to visit Cupertino and just sit behind him when he's out to lunch.

IIRC your AMEX's limit is relative to your average spending in the last 6 months, and you can check on their site after you log in. My friend's AMEX plat would clear him for 60k, while he only spends a few thousand a month.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
If I have that kind of money to bid, I would probably be able to meet him on high end social event, unless i'm doing it for charity.

surfingarbo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
If anybody's interested in having lunch with me near my office, I'm only charging $10,000.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
What would you even talk about at a lunch like this? I mean, aside from having lunch with the CEO of Apple and having pleasant conversation I just don't see the value.

chumpy34

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
I hope whoever wins this bid/lunch date, at some point asks Tim what time it is? Just to see if he accidentally pulls back his long-sleeve button down to reveal the iWatch :) Of course, if he did, you might not make it back to your car!

----------

Wow, really?

Only reason i'd like to meet him is to tell him what piece of ***** he is. Ever since he's took over all the products lost their quality! I'm speaking of the flimsy iPad air, the completely unrepairable iMac, MBPr and mostly every product they have right now. Everything is glued! It's a time where form is superior than function.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Or just give it to a charity you enjoy. Funny how many need to have an incentive to want to give.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

Sounds like you mama never taught you how to take care of your toys. There's a difference between how you should treat sophisticated electronic equipment and a football. I'm on my 3rd pair of iMacs, and 4th iPad, and have never needed a repair or replacement. You're obviously holding them wrong. :p

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
who really cares about gays anyways, except for themselves ;) the only thing I want to know is why they have to get in everyone's faces about it and can't just accept themselves and keep it to themselves. in my experience some do, but most don't.

If those stupid straight people at the office would stop asking me what I did last weekend and how my family is doing, I wouldn't have to rub it in their faces by answering their questions truthfully with "my husband and I went out to a metal concert and then we had some beers with some friends downtown at [insertanygaybarhere]".

And see, I just rubbed it in your face too :)

DoggyByte

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2010
Sounds like you mama never taught you how to take care of your toys. There's a difference between how you should treat sophisticated electronic equipment and a football. I'm on my 3rd pair of iMacs, and 4th iPad, and have never needed a repair or replacement. You're obviously holding them wrong. :p

I'm saying that Apple have started to make everything as compact and unrepairable as possible. And on top of that, they make the device as underpowered as possible with bottlenecks like insufficient RAM etc.

Consumers won't be able to repair or upgrade their device. All this just to sell more devices.They have become greedy.

What makes me sick is all their bullcrap on caring about the environment when they do everything in their power to sell more. If they really cared they wouldn't be blinded by money.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
If they really cared to make this big, it would be two events.

1) a guaranteed meeting to the highest bidder as it stands

2) a second lunch won by drawing. Tickets could be bought for $25 or so.

That way a small business owner or start up person can get some facetime with Tim Cook vs a already successful rich person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.