Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rugie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
Hello,

I wasn't sure whether this was the correct sub for this type of question but I thought it may be the best option.

My Dad has a 13" 2011 MBP and since we changed internet providers (Sky to BT) his internet constantly disconnects. We have tried every possible way and to no avail it is still not working, we've now resorted to a full re-install and it is still disconnecting.

Has anyone had any other issues or know how to fix this?

Just to mention, we have other Apple devices connected to the same network with no issues.

Mr Pink57

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
a van down by the river
We are actually having the same issue with my GF 2011 right now that I am trying to diagnose. So far I have had some luck but I am not sure if any of it actually works since we end up back and disconnects. Google complains a lot about OS X Lion being the culprit, we upgraded her Mac to Mavericks to test and we are still having issues. Here is what I have tried so far:

1. Change the router to stay on channel 6
2. Delete all wifi settings and start from scratch
3. Change to DHCP with static IP
4. Input your own DNS Servers
5. Try a different browser for a while
6. Are there a lot of tabs/apps open?

So far this is what I've come up with. Now I have a 2009 Macbook and now a 2013 MBP (arrives tomorrow). My 2009 sitting next to her is rock solid connection, it will never drop. Now what I have also noticed is this is only happening in our bedroom and rarely in our living room. The router/modem is on the other side side of the living room then it's our bedroom. So it has to travel across the living room, through a wall, then to our bedroom. But even then I will not drop signal on the Macbook/Tablet/iPhone.

We just put a Intel 530 256gb SSD (Sata III) replacing her original Apple Toshiba 5400rpm HDD. The computer did speed up but my little OCZ Vertex 64gb SSD (Sata II) is consistently faster than her Mac especially on boot times. We have the same amount of ram 4gb and hers is DDR3 vs my DDR2.

Well anyways this is so far what I have come up with.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I have read a few complaints about this but most have been later MBP's than yours.
The latest thinking is that the BT router (Homehub 5?) switches from 2.4GHz band to the 5GHz band and also switches channels and it is one of these two things that can cause wifi to drop on some Macs.
Others think that it's because the dual band router has only one SSID for the two bands.

I have a mid 2012 rMBP and before I connected it to the BT HH5 router I gave the 2 bands different SSID's, un-synched the two bands and turned off channel switching on each band (by choosing a specific channel). I've been connected to the 5GHz band and have had no disconnects at all (though my rMBP is only about 6 feet from the router).

It's also a good idea to turn off smart setup as it tries to open an Internet Explorer window which can cause problems on Macs.

Last edited:

Rugie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
Thanks for your replies.

I have done exactly the same thing you have done Mr Pink and I'm still having issues too.

Quackers, I've just done that but when I try to connect to it, it says that its an invalid password. Any suggestions?

Edit: Just connected to the 2.4GHz connection and it seems to be connected fine *touch wood*

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Seems odd.
Does the 2011 MBP have 5 GHz capability? (Forgive my ignorance).
If it does you could try a factory reset of the router (with a pin in the little hole for about 20 seconds).

Rugie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
Seems odd.
Does the 2011 MBP have 5 GHz capability? (Forgive my ignorance).

AFAIK yes, but if it does not, that may have been the issue.

Edit: Just a quick update, connected it to the 2.4GHz connection and restarted the computer and normally after a reboot it doesn't connect and this time it did, so hopefully its sorted.

Mr Pink57

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
a van down by the river
For anyone still following this. I got my 2013 rMBP yesterday and my GF and I compared connections right next to each other watching the same video under the same browser.

Needless to say my MBP did not start/stop one time. I was able to watch the video all the way through without a hiccup. Meanwhile hers stopped at least 3 times during playback.

So I am not looking at other areas possible ram?

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Been Having this problem for Months Now

My rMBP 15", Mid 2012, been experiencing this problem since I purchase it new 8/12. Took it into the Geniuses who fiddle around it but problem still persists. I've even change routers from Cisco Link sys 'N' to an Apple Airport Time Capsule AC. Still not fixed.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
All my Macs have always had wifi issues at some point, somehow been fine for the last year, no idea what I did. Apple store was useless, they know of all the complaints but unless there are periods of faulty wifi card in manufacturing, nothing they/Apple will do about it. I don't remember what settings I adjusted but I kept playing around with my N router to no avail, bought a new N router, samething, played with it, finally got Macs fairly stable mainly b/c I moved the office to a room closer to the living room where the router is.

Its an Apple thing, even our iPhones don't have good wifi, I go to the pool and wifes 5S or our 5 is almost useless, same for when I had an iPad. Even my old 3GS had the same issues years ago. My Android tablet, and my S5 and previous S2 can go through our bar/fl room, passed the pool, to our dock, and still get wifi. Even my iMac had wifi issues, but sold it, as way prefer a PC for desktop use and media especially with home theater etc, and not a single time has the PC ever had a wifi issue even while playing around with settings on the router to fix the Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.