Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golong15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
So I have a early 2011 BTO 15.4 macbook pro with the higher res screen. The screen broke and applecare was replacing the screen all under warranty for free. When I went to the store to pick it up they had put the wrong screen in my macbook. They put the lower rez one in. They said the must have ordered the wrong one and they would fix it. I went back today to pick it up, and it was the wrong screen again, still the lower rez screen. I'm pretty pissed. I don't understand why they wouldn't check it before calling me to come get it when they were fixing a mistake they made. Anyway they are ordering the screen again and replacing it for a 3rd time. I have a bad feeling it will not be right again as they said they ordered the right one and that the only thing they can think that happened is that the wrong screen was shipped in the box to them. I called corp to complain and told them that if they can not fix it the 3rd time that I am asking for them to replace my Macbook as if they can't replace it on the 3rd time, they can't fix it. He said he under stood and would be calling the store. Just want to know if you think I'm off base or how would you handle this.

Thanks

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I think you handled it appropriately. Sometimes one has to accept that mistakes happen, but them doing the same mistake twice is not acceptable.

golong15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Yeah, I really think what is happening is that for some reason they think they are ordering the right one but it isn't. Maybe it's mislabeled in apples system. Regardless if it isn't right the next time I feel that the replacement is reasonable due to this being the 3rd time. The corp guy said he agreed and said he noted my account with all the information so fingers crossed.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
So I have a early 2011 BTO 15.4 macbook pro with the higher res screen. The screen broke and applecare was replacing the screen all under warranty for free. When I went to the store to pick it up they had put the wrong screen in my macbook. They put the lower rez one in. They said the must have ordered the wrong one and they would fix it. I went back today to pick it up, and it was the wrong screen again, still the lower rez screen. I'm pretty pissed. I don't understand why they wouldn't check it before calling me to come get it when they were fixing a mistake they made. Anyway they are ordering the screen again and replacing it for a 3rd time. I have a bad feeling it will not be right again as they said they ordered the right one and that the only thing they can think that happened is that the wrong screen was shipped in the box to them. I called corp to complain and told them that if they can not fix it the 3rd time that I am asking for them to replace my Macbook as if they can't replace it on the 3rd time, they can't fix it. He said he under stood and would be calling the store. Just want to know if you think I'm off base or how would you handle this.

Thanks

You did a great job of handling this in a very mature way. This might get a lot of "thumbs down" but I'd be excited to get a replacement. I would almost be hoping that they didn't get it right the 3rd time. Either way, it sounds to me like you've got this under control. No worries.

golong15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
So I looked up the part number they ordered, which is the same as last time, 661-5848. From what I'm seeing this screen is WXGA+. The screen I should be getting is WSXGA+. I may be wrong but from what I find when I search that part number I honestly think they have ordered the wrong screen for the 3rd time. Can anyone validate if that part number is WXGA or WSXGA?

Thanks.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
From a quick Google:

WXGA = 1280 x 800
WSXGA+ = 1680 x 1050
WUXGA = 1920 x 1200

So, unless they spot it in the store, it looks like you're getting a replacement.

golong15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
From a quick Google:

WXGA = 1280 x 800
WSXGA+ = 1680 x 1050
WUXGA = 1920 x 1200

So, unless they spot it in the store, it looks like you're getting a replacement.

Yeah, I just can't seem to verify what part number 661-5848 is. I see it listed as both but most places say WXGA+, which would be wrong.

golong15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
The saga continues...

So they ordered two screens the hi-rez glossy and hi-rez anti glare. Once again the hi-res glossy was wrong so they tried the anti glare and it was correct. The issue is I do not want the anti glare nor did I have it. They guy at the store was rude and said dude there is nothing you can do and take your computer. So I've got 3 voice mails to my case worker at apple as I'm furious. He said you had the anti-glare and I didn't. I asked him if I did why did the order the glossy 3 times and why did he try putting the glossy on first. He had no answer...

There is an obvious issue with the skus or apples warehouse either way... I'm not letting this go.

Tomr182

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
Don't let it to

Write a details timeline, factual email and send it to Tim cook. Things will happen quickly to resolve the issues

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
Ideally you have kept a detailed and accurate account of the time you've invested in helping Apple fix it's problems, and will bill Apple for that amount.

You seem like a good sport, so delete the time spent on the first repair if you wish, that would be reasonable.

Submit your time bill to Apple with a polite note explaining that you will be unable to purchase any more Apple products until the bill is paid. And then stand by that statement. Don't send the bill if you're bluffing.

If they pay the bill, contact them again to thank them, and express your enthusiasm for ongoing purchases.

If they don't pay the bill, send them the receipts for any non-Apple products you purchase in the future as an alternative to Apple.

The whole reason stuff like this keeps happening is that few of us bother to do such things. We are part of the problem.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
The saga continues...
-snip-

Don't accept a screen you didn't bring in. If you continue to calmly press customer relations I think you are justified getting a replacement computer after the third error. You can make a strong case for your time spent without a machine and fear it will just continue to happen.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
The saga continues...

So they ordered two screens the hi-rez glossy and hi-rez anti glare. Once again the hi-res glossy was wrong so they tried the anti glare and it was correct. The issue is I do not want the anti glare nor did I have it. They guy at the store was rude and said dude there is nothing you can do and take your computer. So I've got 3 voice mails to my case worker at apple as I'm furious. He said you had the anti-glare and I didn't. I asked him if I did why did the order the glossy 3 times and why did he try putting the glossy on first. He had no answer...

There is an obvious issue with the skus or apples warehouse either way... I'm not letting this go.

Sorry to hear about your problem. That's a triple thumbs down specially with the rude staff. They shouldn't be employing those kinds of people. Elevate the issue to higher management. A friend of mine left his Macbook Pro for repairs, and upon picking it up it had a scratch on the enclosure. His MBPro was in mint and had no scratches when you left it. After a series of complains to the store they replaced his Macbook Pro. Now whenever I leave behind any Mac to a service center, I would request the receiving staff to indicate in writing, at the receipt, that the unit has no physical damage to play safe.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I exchanged my retina screen three times, that is, I had 4 screens installed in the same laptop. The current screen shows color uniformity issues, but I gave up this fight as looks like only uneven screens come to Brazil for replacements. My next laptop will probably be non-Apple.

golong15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
So I just got off the phone with the corp manager and he said he is processing the replacement order. He said that since mine was a BTO with everything maxed out in 2011 that they can't replace it with a standard one now. So I can't just go to a store and pick one up. He did say that in the end it will be a better machine and that is a good thing. I must say I do agree that is fair since I did pay more for the upgraded machine in 2011 but i'm shocked that they would send me a maxed out replacement. He said he will call me back to get the shipping info and give me instructions on sending my machine back. He said after they get notification that it has been shipped back they send the new one. They don't wait for it to get there.

So looks like a happy ending.

golong15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
My new macbook came in today and it is perfect! Screen is perfect and fast as hell. I'm still kind of shocked they sent me a maxed out replacement and a super drive but I'm very happy they did.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
My new macbook came in today and it is perfect! Screen is perfect and fast as hell. I'm still kind of shocked they sent me a maxed out replacement and a super drive but I'm very happy they did.

That's great news. Congrats on the new machine! :)

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012

thats awesome whats the config on the new machine

golong15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Yeah its 2.6, 1tb and, 750 nvidia card. I sent them my old one Tuesday of last week and they ordered the new laptop and super drive on Thursday. The Super drive came on Monday and the laptop yesterday. I was impressed that it shipped from China and got to me in GA in 2 days.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
Yeah its 2.6, 1tb and, 750 nvidia card. I sent them my old one Tuesday of last week and they ordered the new laptop and super drive on Thursday. The Super drive came on Monday and the laptop yesterday. I was impressed that it shipped from China and got to me in GA in 2 days.

wow my replacement took about 2 weeks. First i sent mine then they sent the new one. Though mine was not a bto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.