Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
I recently purchased a 2013 Air and the new Time Capsule. Both support 802.11ac. Websites load a bit faster, but so far I haven't experienced any drastic increases in speed. Previously I had a 2011 Air and the previous generation Time Capsule.

I don't know if this has more to do w/ my ISP or the hardware I'm using. My down/up speeds average at 32 Mbps down/4 Mbps up and my modem (provided by my ISP) is a Motorola Surfboard SB6121. Also, when I open Airport Utility and check my new Air it says it's connected on 802.11a/n/ac. Is there any way to force ac purely or is this not how it works?

Is there anything I can do it increase my speed aside from purchasing a faster plan from my ISP? Would a newer modem make any difference? Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Your wi-fi network speed can't make your internet connection faster. You need a faster plan from your ISP.

Gigabit Wi-Fi: 802.11ac is here: Five things you need to know
As always you should remember that any network is only as fast as its slowest link. For instance, if you're buying 802.11ac to improve your Netflix viewing experience and your Internet connect is 10Mbps, it won't do you a darn bit of good. 802.11n, or even 802.11g, is all you'll need.

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
I understand that if my average DL speed is 32 Mbps having a laptop and router that support 802.11ac won't increase that.

What I'm asking if there's anything I can do on my end, outside of purchasing a faster plan from my ISP, that could boost the speed. If not, that's fine. I just wanted to know.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
If you wireless download speed, matches your LAN wired speed.
You've done basically all you can.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I understand that if my average DL speed is 32 Mbps having a laptop and router that support 802.11ac won't increase that.

What I'm asking if there's anything I can do on my end, outside of purchasing a faster plan from my ISP, that could boost the speed. If not, that's fine. I just wanted to know.
No, there's nothing else you can do, short of buying a faster plan from your ISP.

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to check and make sure there wasn't anything else I needed to do.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to check and make sure there wasn't anything else I needed to do.

Yes, there could be. I've just invested in a new AE and a few AC-compatible devices. Those that connect to the standard 2.4GHz network do pretty well. Those that connect to the not-enabled-by-default 5GHz network often see much higher network and internet speeds.

Enable the 5GHz network, using a different name, and connect to the 5GHz network with your compatible devices. We always realize higher network speeds when connected to our 5GHz network.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Yes, there could be. I've just invested in a new AE and a few AC-compatible devices. Those that connect to the standard 2.4GHz network do pretty well. Those that connect to the not-enabled-by-default 5GHz network often see much higher network and internet speeds.

Enable the 5GHz network, using a different name, and connect to the 5GHz network with your compatible devices. We always realize higher network speeds when connected to our 5GHz network.

That'll do nothing to speed up the OPs ISP bottleneck. The OP will need to upgrade their ISP package, there are much faster options available depending on provider. The SB6121 is a very fast DOCSIS 3.0 modem with GigE (OP make sure you're running Cat5e or 6 Ethernet to your AEBS).

Worse yet is even though you might have an uber fast ISP that'll do nothing to speed up sites hosted on a slow network.

Last edited:

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
That'll do nothing to speed up the OPs ISP bottleneck. The OP will need to upgrade their ISP package, there are much faster options available depending on provider. The SB6121 is a very fast DOCSIS 3.0 modem with GigE (OP make sure you're running Cat5e or 6 Ethernet to your AEBS).

Worse yet is even though you might have an uber fast ISP that'll do nothing to speed up sites hosted on a slow network.

Thanks for pointing out the *really* obvious.

I have a Comcast 50/10 Business Internet plan - no having to deal with all of those slowdowns on residential accounts. I see 26-30 down on 2.4 regularly, 50-52 down on 5 on the same network. No conflicts with neighbors. CAT 5e cables. No ISP upgrade necessary - see this all of the time on Win 7/8, iOS, and Mac OS. Same with the network extender that has disks attached via USB 3 - switching to 5GHz speeds things up almost all of the time here in Snarkyland.

OP, Arris/Moto cable modems don't get along all of the time. Lots of posts online about this about issues with Moto cable modems and Airport units going back years. I have an SB6141 and an AE. Consider a different cable modem - again, lots of posts elsewhere about this; I'd switch but I have only 3 other approved options: 2 suck, and the other is the SB6121.

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011

I already do this. It's a good tip though.

Just to be clear to anyone replying, I don't need more speed, I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do to boost my current network.

Thanks everyone.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
From my home office. My ISP is Comcast, cable modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB4161, router is an Airport Extreme 802.11 AC. I've got a 2nd AE Time Capsule in my home office which extends the wireless networks.

Wired:
3461282281.png

Wireless 2.4 ghz:
3461301741.png

Wireless 5 ghz:
3461304772.png

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm using the last generation TC and a generation 5 AirPort Extreme. I have a very fast BB connection, but found that by changing channels on the TC's broadcast made one heck of a speed difference.

Set to auto, my 2.4 GHZ speeds ( which I only actually use for an internet radio that can't see 5GHZ) we're around 49MBPS

Setting to channel 6 on the TC now gives me wifi speeds almost exactly the 160 I get over Ethernet on my iMac....

The 5GHZ channel runs on 44.

It's worth changing until you find the best traffic free channel for your area...the SS is from my iPad Air.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 162

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
You really had 2 questions: (1)Speed from the Internet (as mentions, the bottleneck is your ISP); and (2)Your Time Capsule speed. This you maybe able to optimize since this is all INSIDE, what techies call LAN speed.

WIFI speed, lots of time has to do with how noisy your neighbors are. WIFI is radio, and your neighbors WIFI do affect you. 802.11n and 802.11ac takes advantage of unused WIFI channels and are able to use multiple channels (more lanes) for added throughput, but what if all the lanes are already in used by your neighbors? So... don't expect miracles from ac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.