Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
So I'm getting a new MBP Retina sometime next week, and I'm going to need to quickly transfer large files (photos / illustrator / photoshop files) quickly from my Macmini to my MBP and I want to be able to take the external storage with me.

Is it better to buy an external USB 3.0 HD drive or an SDXC card?

Thx!

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
So I'm getting a new MBP Retina sometime next week, and I'm going to need to quickly transfer large files (photos / illustrator / photoshop files) quickly from my Macmini to my MBP and I want to be able to take the external storage with me.

Is it better to buy an external USB 3.0 HD drive or an SDXC card?

Thx!

A USB 3.0 drive is definitely much faster but they are usually less portable. Based on your usage needs, a fast and large (capacity) USB HDD seems to be the best option.

Another thing to consider would be to buy a thunderbolt cable (provided that your Mac Mini is 2011+) for "ultra fast" tranfers and then a USB Flash Drive for portable storage whenever necessary.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
How large? If less than 62 GB then a SD card is convenient. Otherwise a USB3 enclosure with a SSD is much better than a rotational drive in a USB3 enclosure. A portable thunderbolt SSD even better, if both Machines have thunderbolt ports. Fast is not cheap so is a minute for large file transfers fast enough for you... or do you need 10 seconds.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You can grab 2TB USB 3 externals very cheaply now...I have a WD that I've put in a CIT enclosure and use with my rMBP. Works very well and is fast enough and small enough to carry around.

I dislike self powered drives so mine has it's own dedicated PSU.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I use both. I generally keep an SDXC card mounted in my rMBPs. For most files, by the time I locate my SSD, locate my cable, mount the drive, copy my files, dismount the SSD, pack my SSD... I could have copied the files to the SD card and been out the door!

zballer

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
MBPr extra storage

I have a MBPr with 1TB flash storage plus using a 128gb SDXC mini sandisk. I also use the Airport Time Capsule 3TB to wirelessly backup my files on my MBPr. I dont use a USB for extra storage but keep a 1TB usb to transfer files when need be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.