Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Anyone else find it funny that the G in google fits perfectly into the apple bite?

Yes, I do.
3BxVpRb.jpg

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Typical corporate america screwing hard working folks. They should have NEVER settled and got every penny they deserved. For you apple fan boys who think the settlement is fare, apple has you on a string like a puppet keeping you in an over priced eco system with the profits of cheap labor. Real nice company to do business with, NOT!

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
I really don't understand why these companies have to be so cheap.
This settlement is ridiculous and shameful on so many levels.

To: tech workers

FU** YOU. See who's the boss bit**es

PS. We screw you because we can hahahahaha

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
$324 million? WTF! Someone sold out. Jerks.

Don't take advantage of your OWN engineers, morons (Apple, Google, Intel, Adobe, etc.). :mad:
This gives the lawyers a good payout for a brief effort. They're the only ones who ever 'win' class action suits. For everyone else, this settlement is negligible. The workers will only get a couple weeks salary if that, and for Apple and Google it's about a day's profit each.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
This gives the lawyers a good payout for a brief effort. They're the only ones who ever 'win' class action suits. For everyone else, this settlement is negligible. The workers will only get a couple weeks salary if that, and for Apple and Google it's about a day's profit each.

The lawyers will get $323 million while all of the workers who got screwed will get a $5 coupon.

mattalici

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2003
LA
WOW. I am coming out of the woodwork for this one...

Billions of dollars were STOLEN from the techs and scientists that made these companies what they are, over a DECADE, and this small slap on the wrist is all they get? If windows wasn't the only alt to apple, my last iMac would have been MY LAST iMAC. And from one gay to another: Tim, ghurl, you bettah do something to make this ish RIGHT. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

TauCeti808

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
Look at wikipedia:)

Judge Koh is a name that always seems to pop up whenever I read about lawsuits involving Apple, Samsung or Google. Is she such an authority in this field or do they purposely attempt to get her on these cases?

Her credentials are looking quite impressive. She seems to be a very good judge, she is also married to a law professor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_H._Koh

"From 2002 until 2008, Koh worked as a litigation partner at the Silicon Valley office of the law firm McDermott Will & Emery representing technology companies in patent, trade secret and commercial civil matters."

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I don't think it was the intent of Apple, Google, Intel, and Adobe to prevent advancement of their employees. It would have been to prevent companies from stealing corporate secrets. The devastating thought of a key person working on Apple's next thing would be hired by Google, and that person would take all knowledge of what did and did not work to jump start the same product for Google. Lose of intellectual property would be the main concern. Becides, non-compete clauses simply don't hold up in court.

----------

The world's second oldest profession always wins, at least for themselves. That's why 1 out of every 320 Americans are lawyers. There are likely more lawyers in the USA than there are in the worlds oldest profession.

----------

WOW. I am coming out of the woodwork for this one...

Billions of dollars were STOLEN from the techs and scientists that made these companies what they are, over a DECADE, and this small slap on the wrist is all they get? If windows wasn't the only alt to apple, my last iMac would have been MY LAST iMAC. And from one gay to another: Tim, ghurl, you bettah do something to make this ish RIGHT. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

How do you figure "STOLEN"? They all agreed to be hired at their pay rate. All the employees 'make' every company, successful or otherwise. If they wanted to get a different job, they could seek employment from any company other than Apple, Google, Intel, and Adobe. There are thousands more tech companies out there than these four you know.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
If there was any way to prove that 'billions of dollars' was 'STOLEN' the lawsuit wouldn't have been settled for such a paltry sum. Employees still had the choice to receive offers from other companies by applying there. They employees cannot prove that without the agreement cold-calling would have been widespread and had a major impact on wages.

Don't get me wrong, this agreement is paltry and benefits the lawyers involved far more than the class members. However, you need to turn down the hyperbole a notch.

P.S. Tim Cook has decided not to make sexual orientation a central theme of his work. Please respect that and don't bring it into conversations that have nothing to do with that.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
How do you figure "STOLEN"? They all agreed to be hired at their pay rate. All the employees 'make' every company, successful or otherwise. If they wanted to get a different job, they could seek employment from any company other than Apple, Google, Intel, and Adobe. There are thousands more tech companies out there than these four you know.

I don't agree with the way he worded it. What you should look at is that these companies seem to have colluded in order to control costs, and when it takes place among top tier companies, it can have some influence on market rates.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
I don't think it was the intent of Apple, Google, Intel, and Adobe to prevent advancement of their employees.

What have you been smoking? Your a true apple fanboy! These employees have every right to work for the competition without being held back and keeping there pay lower than what there work experiences should have been paid. These folks should start there own business and put a serious hurting on the ones who screwed them! Without these workers, apple, google and the rest of the scum wouldn't be where they are today!

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
What have you been smoking? Your a true apple fanboy! These employees have every right to work for the competition without being held back and keeping there pay lower than what there work experiences should have been paid.

Apple Fanboy for sure, since 1978, always have been and always will be, and proud of it.

As far as rights, every employer has the right to decide who works for them, just as you have the right to seek employment from anywhere you want. You can quit your job whenever you want, but your employer needs cause for your dismissal (talk about unfair rights :( ). None of these companies were preventing their employees from seeking employment elsewhere, just from the other 3 companies. I agree that the agreement was not proper and it may have hindered getting a job with one of the other 3. My point was that the "STOLEN" statement was not correct.

Kastellen

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
I personally would never work for a company that tried to poach me. I have more loyalty than that.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
Typical corporate america screwing hard working folks. They should have NEVER settled and got every penny they deserved. For you apple fan boys who think the settlement is fare, apple has you on a string like a puppet keeping you in an over priced eco system with the profits of cheap labor. Real nice company to do business with, NOT!

What are you doing on the MacRumors forums then if you hate Apple? Every big company does this, or attempts to do it. You read the original article, right - there were like 10 companies on the list for anti-poach. Every company I've ever worked at has had private anti-poach agreements. Microsoft used to do this too. All full-timers at Apple are well paid - engineers, retail store employees, US assembly workers, Apple makes sure even the assembly workers in China that assembly their products are well paid.

Last edited:

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Are you refering to the book, Neuromancer? I read that years ago, but can't remember anything about hiring practices. Can you remind me? Thanks.

Yes, I was referring to the book. In it, poaching employees is nothing short of a black-ops military operation, involving breaking in and effectively kidnapping—often involving a healthy dose of explosives and bullets—the "poached" employee.

Now that I think of it, I believe it was depicted in "Count Zero", the second novel in William Gibson's Trilogy ("Neuromancer" being the first, and "Monalisa Overdrive" being the third).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.