Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013

Interesting! But it is to be expected that the market would cool down for Apple sometime. After all, Apple does not have a monopoly on the technology and with the emergence of other deep-pocketed players, market fragmentation will undoubtedly happen. So, on one hand you have Samsung and Amazon (who are targeting the low-end of the market) while on the other you have Microsoft (and its bevy of OEMs) who are busy trying to redefine the market (and who are hitting across most price levels - from high (with the Surface line) to the low (with various OEMs playing their role).

More critically, for Apple the problem is how to innovate in the tablet market. Alternatively, I am sure their management must be thinking in terms of a new market opportunities to create based on the existing tablet-centric infrastructure. And, then there is the price. It is not a matter of contention that Apple (with the iPad and the iPhone) have defined the top-end of the market (pricewise). While this is good when the going is good, with even the slightest transformation in the market fundamentals (higher than normal global inflation, any other market dynamics that eat into peoples incomes), there is only one way out - downwards. I think - and to some extent this is reflected in the linked article - Apple is facing this. This may also explain why Apple is - arguably - attempting to reinforce the benefits of using iPads in the enterprise sector which is relatively immune to such market inflections (well, to the extent that is). I think a third problem with Apple (especially with the iPad line) is that there is a degree of customer exhaustion piling up. I mean just think about it. If you are going to release iterations of a product every year with what can at best be called minimal upgrades, then you should expect customers to skip generations. Cumulatively, that add up.

All this said, I think the OP's observation/ question about whether the rMini is a fad is somewhat unfounded. I believe - and that is all that it is, a belief - that the rMini is NOT a fad. It is just that it is late into the market and there are other low-cost viable alternatives, which may explain why it could be struggling in the market.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
I can't stand e-ink, and even if I could, most of my reading is news articles on the web, with some ebooks. The Kindle may be good for ebooks (if you can stand e-ink), but not for surfing the web. I guess you don't spend much time just surfing the web, without typing input? If so, I suppose you don't mind being stuck with a keyboard. I can spend hours surfing the web without touching the keyboard, hence my desire to get rid of it.

I have 0 problems with e-ink. I love my Kindle for reading and prefer it over any kind of tablet/laptop screen. When I am reading a book for pleasure I do not want to be distracted by the web, notifications, etc.

I have never really thought about it, but after your comment I have taken notice. And yes, I constantly use my keyboard for input while I am cruising the web. I can't imagine being going hours without using my keyboard. If I could then I probably would prefer some sort of tablet over my MBA.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I can't stand e-ink, and even if I could, most of my reading is news articles on the web, with some ebooks. The Kindle may be good for ebooks (if you can stand e-ink), but not for surfing the web. I guess you don't spend much time just surfing the web, without typing input? If so, I suppose you don't mind being stuck with a keyboard. I can spend hours surfing the web without touching the keyboard, hence my desire to get rid of it.

For serious reading, I have no restrictions with e-ink - its pretty much like reading a paper book. With an LCD screen, I can handle an hour or so before I get a headache. Also, a Kindle is perfect for focusing on the book without any distractions and the light weight makes it so easy to hold

I'm usually not a proponent of single-use devices, but an e-ink Kindle is really so good at what it is designed for, as someone who reads a lot, I can't do without it.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
For serious reading, I have no restrictions with e-ink - its pretty much like reading a paper book. With an LCD screen, I can handle an hour or so before I get a headache. Also, a Kindle is perfect for focusing on the book without any distractions and the light weight makes it so easy to hold

I'm usually not a proponent of single-use devices, but an e-ink Kindle is really so good at what it is designed for, as someone who reads a lot, I can't do without it.

Exactly. The Kindle was designed with one purpose - to comfortably read e-books and it does a wonderful job.

My gf who uses her iPad mini daily has recently stolen my older Kindle 3G because she couldn't read for long on the mini. I don't mind looking at an LCD screen for hours on end but if I have the option I would much prefer e-ink.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Exactly. The Kindle was designed with one purpose - to comfortably read e-books and it does a wonderful job.

My gf who uses her iPad mini daily has recently stolen my older Kindle 3G because she couldn't read for long on the mini. I don't mind looking at an LCD screen for hours on end but if I have the option I would much prefer e-ink.

I've had this discussion before countless times, but e-ink gives me a headache. It's more grey on grey than black on white. The latest Kindle Paperwhite is a lot better, but I find I still prefer an LCD screen. Plus the slow page turn drives me nuts.

I do get what everyone is saying about how a single-use device offers no distractions. But when it comes to reading, if I really want to read something, I will read it, I wouldn't become distracted. If I get distracted, it's because I'm not really into the book. So for me, a device that is just for reading doesn't make sense. It's an extra device I would have to carry. It doesn't give me any benefits that *I* need.

I have never really thought about it, but after your comment I have taken notice. And yes, I constantly use my keyboard for input while I am cruising the web. I can't imagine being going hours without using my keyboard. If I could then I probably would prefer some sort of tablet over my MBA.

Always so interesting to hear how different other people's usage patterns can be. I do sometimes type search terms into google while surfing, but it's like, type a search, get back results. Spend next hour reading through results without typing anything. Type another search, spend another hour reading, etc.

Only time I type in Safari is when posting to forums! :p

In fact, I'm wondering, what does anyone type while surfing, other than searches? If you don't mind sharing, I'd appreciate hearing how you surf the web, that you use your keyboard a lot while you are doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Amen.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I definitely love my Kindle paperwhite, I also love my iPad mini. As long as they make minis, I'm sure I'll buy them.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
You could almost ask that of the iPad itself. Is it a fad. No, not really.

Will it replace laptop/notebook computers? For many users, yes. So is it a fad? No.

Is the mini a fad? Having both, I see where the mini has some benefits over the full sized version. It is smaller, lighter, yet has the same basic features. I use them interchangeably, but prefer traveling with the larger version for some reason.

I think if there are anything that are 'fads', it's possible the Android operating systems, and HUGE phones. The idea of having a large cell phone is comically tragic to me. How much bigger do they have to get before they exhaust the market and people realize how silly they look.

I wouldn't want a phone the size of the iPad mini. NO! No matter how 'counter culture' they try to make it.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
When I bought our second iPad, I chose the mini because I wanted a large gps for on the road. The full size was too large for the cab of my truck. I like both sizes and my replacement for our original iPad will probably be the full size iPad but when it comes to replacing the mini, I'll stick with the small size for that.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
Always so interesting to hear how different other people's usage patterns can be. I do sometimes type search terms into google while surfing, but it's like, type a search, get back results. Spend next hour reading through results without typing anything. Type another search, spend another hour reading, etc.

Only time I type in Safari is when posting to forums! :p

In fact, I'm wondering, what does anyone type while surfing, other than searches? If you don't mind sharing, I'd appreciate hearing how you surf the web, that you use your keyboard a lot while you are doing it.

I am constantly searching, replying to emails, iMessages, posting on forums, and typing notes for different things. I would say that I might spend 10 - 20 minutes not using my keyboard at most when I have found few good hits for my searches or while reading different topics. I do jump from topic to topic and thought to thought fairly randomly so that probably increases my need to type.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I am constantly searching, replying to emails, iMessages, posting on forums, and typing notes for different things. I would say that I might spend 10 - 20 minutes not using my keyboard at most when I have found few good hits for my searches or while reading different topics. I do jump from topic to topic and thought to thought fairly randomly so that probably increases my need to type.

Thanks, that gives me a clear idea of why you need a keyboard. Different people, different usages, which makes different devices a better fit. ;)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yes, in my opinion the iPad Mini is a fad... or more accurately, following the fad of 7" tablets started by Android tablet makers. The iPad mini is little more than a "me too" device to cater to limited segment of the consumer market that wants a 7" tablet with the Apple logo.

The original iPad was so forward-thinking that it was originally blasted by the tech media more severely than the Surface RT was. All of the jabs at the name (references to feminine hygiene products). Microsoft was left flat-footed floating out some lame "Courier" FUD. Everyone was caught off-guard and it took YEARS for companies to regroup.

The mini was nothing like that. Sure it catered to the Apple faithful, but really didn't do much for expand the market.

I'm interested to see if Apple does something dramatic with the full-sized iPad. (The iPad Air wasn't it, IMO). Until then, I'll be sitting tight with my 64GB iPad 4. (an absolutely terrific tablet)

I too type a lot on my iPad. I have found the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover to be a terrific accessory. If Apple would include support for bluetooth mice that would be terrific. I have found it helpful on my Surface 2 as well as my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (student edition with keyboard dock).

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
I don't think it's a fad. When I bought an iPad and Macbook I stopped using my Phone as much since the screen is so small. I don't mind black bars when I watch videos. I might get a basic phone just because I don't use my iPhone much anymore. It just depends on the person. My brother stopped using his iPad mini after he got a laptop for college, and my sister uses hers all of the time.

GlennB

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
OKC, OK
Tablets are becoming the ubiquitous platform for kids at school and some of the schools are switching from full-sized tablets to iPad minis.
iPad mini is definitely not a fad.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I definitely love my Kindle paperwhite, I also love my iPad mini. As long as they make minis, I'm sure I'll buy them.

The Kindle paperwhite really is pretty nice, but I still can't quite get over being annoyed at the e-ink refresh, even when I set it not to refresh so often. I have ended up using the iPad mini or even my iPhone more often for reading. I tend to use the paperwite mostly for the borrowed books one can get through Prime membership (since I can't transfer them to another device).

On the mini iPad and iPhone, I use that sepia toned view, and have found it quite easy on my eyes for long periods of reading. I use the sepia tone with the Kindle reading apps too.

I also like being able to read some things on a laptop, especially if an item features detailed graphics. I was used to being able to use Nook or Kindle reading apps on my laptops, so I was happy (at first) when I updated my MacBook Pro hardware to as 2012 refurbl and Mavericks came installed on it. Finally I could read my iBooks right on the MBP!

Digression: Must say that the rest of my Mavericks experience so far is, well... lucky for Apple, that would be way off the thread topic here. Love the MBP with spacious drive and 8GB RAM, just hope the OS will eventually do it full justice. / digression

Bottom line the iPad mini isn't going away any time soon, in my household. I went for the retina display upgrade and was suprised to discover how much I really love it. I hadn't thought with my aging eyes it would matter that much. It's fabulous.

Maltoo2

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
I've been using less and less my iPad Mini since I got it 13 months ago. Now it's in my desktop, inside its case, probably with a drained battery for the last one or two weeks.

If I ever wanna use it for something, when I get it it's dead and I have to plug it in. Then, after some days, when I wanna use it again... dead again.

It's been like this the last two months maybe, I think it's time I sell it or pass it to someone who will actually use it.

you can pass it on to me, I will use it :)

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Late at night I prefer reading on my iPad Mini over the MacBook. For me it's pretty easy to hold for hours on end. If it's a fad I'll keep riding the fad train. :D

I hate reading on the iPad Mini. Even in landscape orientation, there is so much scrolling. I like my text big, so I rather use my MacBook.

If I had to choose an iPad, iPad Air all day. iPad Mini is probably better suited as an iPod replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.