Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple tablet sales may have been lower this past quarter than analysts expected, but usage of the tablet remains strong. According to a recent Chitika Insights report, the iPad accounted for more than three quarters of all U.S. and Canadian tablet-based Web traffic in April. Chitika derived this traffic data by sampling tens of millions U.S. and Canadian tablet online impressions across its ad network during the first week of April 2014.

chitika-tablet-2014-april.jpeg
The iPad is the dominant tablet in North America with a mobile web traffic share of 77 percent as compared to 8.3 percent from number two Samsung. Amazon's Kindle Fire devices generated 6.3 percent of web traffic, while Google's Nexus tablets accounedt for 2.2 percent. The remaining tablets from Microsoft, Asus, Acer and others contributed 4.5 percent combined.

chitika-tablet-april-2014-2013.jpeg
Though the iPad is the market leader with significantly more web traffic than all the other manufacturers combined, the tablet's traffic share fell slightly year over year from the 81.3 percent measured in April 2013. Samsung showed the biggest yearly gains, growing from 4.7 percent in April 2013 to 8.3 percent in April 2014. Amazon, similar to Apple, also lost 1.3 percentage points year over year.
The proverbial elephant in the room is iPad usage share, which still stands at over 77% of all U.S. and Canadian tablet-based Web traffic (Section 4). This is down a few percentage points year-over-year, but the current share is very notable in the context of the North American tablet market, which analyst estimates pointed to growing significantly throughout 2013 from a penetration standpoint. While it is uncertain if Apple can reverse the tide and grow its domestic tablet usage share in the coming months, it is clear that iPad users remain the most active aggregate tablet user base by a wide margin, with that likely to remain the case for the foreseeable future.
During Apple's Q2 2014 earnings conference call earlier this week, CEO Tim Cook commented on the slight drop in iPad sales this past quarter, citing high channel inventory levels that artificially inflated the company's March 2013 sales. Channel inventory in 2014 was significantly reduced, with a balance between iPad supply and demand achieved early in the launch cycle of the iPad Air and Retina iPad mini.

Apple is expected to introduce updated versions of the iPad Air and Retina iPad mini later this year. The company also may be developing a 12.9-inch iPad Pro that could possibly debut sometime next year.

Article Link: iPad Dominates Mobile Web Share with 77 Percent of April 2014 Traffic

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
The fact remains that apple will need to entice us with older iPads to upgrade and it won't happen.

There is very little the "old" "new iPad" can do that the iPad air and the "newer" iPads can do.

They must differentiate.

I don't see it yet.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Well, the 'Android is winning' crowd have been able to fake market share stats by including $50 child's play toys as 'tablets'. But year after year they've never been able to fake usage stats. They'll just ignore them I guess.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
There is very little the "old" "new iPad" can do that the iPad air and the "newer" iPads can do.

Well have to wait and see if Apple has any more tricks up their sleeve. The technology has remained essentially the same (except for the 64 bit chip, which hasn't reached its potential yet). The only changes have been slight ones to the form factor. But I'd bet that Apple is hard at work in other areas. We just don't hear about them. As Tim Cook said, the company releases things when they're ready, not for the sake of pushing out more product.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
The fact remains that apple will need to entice us with older iPads to upgrade and it won't happen.

They must differentiate.

I don't see it yet.

I bet when iOS 8 is announced, if it has some crazy new cool features but wont support the iPad 2, people will riot in the tech-forum streets... Apple "forcing you" to buy a new iPad, the usual stuff.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
#Chitika, you and I know
How the androids come and they go and the scars they're leaving
You'll be surfing once again and the pain will end
You will have plenty e-reading

Chitika, you and I cry
But iCloud is still in the sky and raining above you
Let me hear Siri once more like we did before
Sing a new song, Chitika

Try once more like you did before
Sing a new song, Chitika

… Or something.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I have a IPad 2 that works perfectly fine and I keep debating on the IPad Air 2
when it appears.

If there is no significant change or additions that my 2 can't do then why should I change?

IMHO there needs to be an addition of filing system and micro ports for file transfers. That would push me to a new IPad.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
when it appears.

If there is no significant change or additions that my 2 can't do then why should I change?

IMHO there needs to be an addition of filing system and micro ports for file transfers. That would push me to a new IPad.

You know, I’ve got an android tablet that has both of these features, and they suck. Maybe Apple could make it work better, but I’m a little skeptical. It’d probably require a complete redesign of how iOS installs and manages apps.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
when it appears.

I made the jump from iPad 2 to iPad 3 after 12 months for retina as my iPad 2 was looking very blurry once I'd got retina on my iPhone 4 but apart from that I've seen no need to move on to a 4 or Air since. I'll look at what the Air 2 brings to the party later this year but I don't currently view it as a must have upgrade unless it has something special.

sblemmy

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
when it appears.

Is this not one of the fundamental problems for Apple? If you make an "insanely great product", you have to make another insanely great product to get people to upgrade. My wife is highly satisfied with her iPhone 4S and iPad 2. One of my friends is still merrily using his mid-2007 MBP...

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Well, the 'Android is winning' crowd have been able to fake market share stats by including $50 child's play toys as 'tablets'. But year after year they've never been able to fake usage stats. They'll just ignore them I guess.

As consumers, does it really matter? For an advertiser this may be relevant information, but for regular Joe's and Janes, this is just more gasoline to pour on the Apple vs Android dumpster fire that propagates in internet forums.

We're #1 at web surfing! Uhhh... yay?

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.

They must differentiate.

I don't see it yet.

You haven't played blitz brigade yet. This game is like an exact clone of Team fortress 2 with a hint of battlefield. Graphics are amazing and I can't imagine it running as smooth on an older iPad. It's probably THE best iPad game I've played besides KOTOR or Modern Combat (COD Clone). Which are both easily console quality games.

That's the difference, console quality games vs puzzle games.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
As consumers, does it really matter? For an advertiser this may be relevant information, but for regular Joe's and Janes, this is just more gasoline to pour on the Apple vs Android dumpster fire that propagates in internet forums.

We're #1 at web surfing! Uhhh... yay?

The only reason it matters is that it reflects that either iPad users use their tablets a lot more or there are a lot more iPads out there being used than other tablets. Either way it gives developers very good reason to work on iPad apps rather than apps for android/windows.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012

Exactly. Either all those "shipped" android tablets aren't actually selling or people are getting them and just throwing them in a drawer. Or maybe the droid users are so cheap they don't want to pay for internet. ;)

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The only reason it matters is that it reflects that either iPad users use their tablets a lot more or there are a lot more iPads out there being used than other tablets. Either way it gives developers very good reason to work on iPad apps rather than apps for android/windows.

My comment stems from a consumer perspective. Also an example of my second point, that dumpster fire I mentioned, sits at comment #16

----------

Is this not one of the fundamental problems for Apple? If you make an "insanely great product", you have to make another insanely great product to get people to upgrade. My wife is highly satisfied with her iPhone 4S and iPad 2. One of my friends is still merrily using his mid-2007 MBP...

My iPad2 works just as well as the day I bought it. Like a lot of others, nothing since has been compelling enough to make me buy a new one. Just like my 2011 MBA.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I've gotta be honest, I've been using iPads since 2011 (starting with the iPad 2, and now the iPad mini with Retina Display), and the browsing experience is seriously far from great, and is actually rather annoying.

Pages reload constantly, the browser crashes (this got better with 7.1), sites aren't optimized, tap and hold to bring up the popup menu often deselects (you have to hold it perfectly still), I can go on.

It's just not enjoyable to me. And that was one of the biggest selling points for the iPad (Steve said it's 'better than a laptop' for browsing the web). I see the appeal, but it's just not there. Anybody else have a similar experience?

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Big surprise there... doesn't take long to realize you have an Android after you get it out of the shiny iPad-look-alike packaging...

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Exactly. Either all those "shipped" android tablets aren't actually selling or people are getting them and just throwing them in a drawer. Or maybe the droid users are so cheap they don't want to pay for internet. ;)

So I must be the very small part of Android user who use Android tablet to the fullest...

Please do not bash me as Android fanboy... Because I also love my iPad 4 and iPad mini...

By the way, laughing Android does not help Apple a bit... You guys might as well go spend your money on lastest and greatest iPad and surfing online all day long to contribute iPad over all web usages...

Or maybe Safari just refresh so much, so Safari takes the king of web usage? Who knows

Sned from Nexus 7

----------

Big surprise there... doesn't take long to realize you have an Android after you get it out of the shiny iPad-look-alike packaging...

Just which Android package like the shiny iPad look alike packaging? Did Apple patented their packaging? Apple might just sue every devices manufacturer for that... Oh...god...I just gave Apple a way of milking even more money

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
These numbers reveal the lie that is android tablet market share.

Please can someone blow down androids house of straw and reveal the manipulations?

There is no way people are buying millions of android tablets and not even using them to check email and browse web pages.

All these supposed millions of sales and what? The droidtab is sitting collecting dust at home ?

No way. That droidtab is still in the box in channel inventory while that iPad is being used constantly by a consumer.

Come on on Apple. There is only one way to deal with lying bullies. Punch them back.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Please can someone blow down androids house of straw and reveal the manipulations?

There is no way people are buying millions of android tablets and not even using them to check email and browse web pages.

All these supposed millions of sales and what? The droidtab is sitting collecting dust at home ?

No way. That droidtab is still in the box in channel inventory while that iPad is being used constantly by a consumer.

Come on on Apple. There is only one way to deal with lying bullies. Punch them back.

But you do see the trend of iPad usage declining and competition is catching up...oh reality hurts

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I bet when iOS 8 is announced, if it has some crazy new cool features but wont support the iPad 2, people will riot in the tech-forum streets... Apple "forcing you" to buy a new iPad, the usual stuff.

Hope so!

----------

You haven't played blitz brigade yet. This game is like an exact clone of Team fortress 2 with a hint of battlefield. Graphics are amazing and I can't imagine it running as smooth on an older iPad. It's probably THE best iPad game I've played besides KOTOR or Modern Combat (COD Clone). Which are both easily console quality games.

That's the difference, console quality games vs puzzle games.

I'll try it - thanks!

kdarling

macrumors P6
Bear in mind that Chitika does NOT report overall web traffic. Or app usage. These reports are ads for their advertising network.

They're only reporting their ADVERTISEMENT impressions. In other words, who sees their hosted ads, on the 250,000 mostly North American web sites and blogs that they serve (less than 0.05% of the sites worldwide).

It's no surprise that in Chitika's home area of North America, the iPad sees more of their ads. Surveys show that US families with Android based eBook readers often also have an iPad. And the cheaper Android tablets are often given to children, who use them for games, or video viewing, not web surfing.

Of course, if a browser tends to reload pages as the user navigates back and forth in a website, then that will multiple the ad impressions quite a bit. Something else to think about.

--

Interestingly, when they leave out tablets, their reports say that PHONE web usage is the same between iOS and Android:

E.g. "While third-party and our own observations have pegged smartphone Web traffic share as a near-tie, Apple has a decided advantage in the tablet market, ..." - Chitika, 2012

This critical little fact has been left out of almost every fansite article that quoted that first report.

Last edited:

cantona1995

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013

I like how MacRumours (and you) completely ignored this report:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/roberth...d-passes-apples-ios-mobile-ad-traffic-report/

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Bear in mind that Chitika does NOT report overall web traffic. Or app usage. These reports are ads for their advertising network.

They're only reporting their ADVERTISEMENT impressions. In other words, who sees their hosted ads, on the 250,000 mostly North American web sites and blogs that they serve (less than 0.05% of the sites worldwide).

It's no surprise that in Chitika's home area of North America, the iPad sees more of their ads. Surveys show that US families with Android based eBook readers often also have an iPad. And the cheaper Android tablets are often given to children, who use them for games, or video viewing, not web surfing.

Of course, if a browser tends to reload pages as the user navigates back and forth in a website, then that will multiple the ad impressions quite a bit. Something else to think about.

--

Interestingly, when they leave out tablets, their reports say that PHONE web usage is the same between iOS and Android:

E.g. "While third-party and our own observations have pegged smartphone Web traffic share as a near-tie, Apple has a decided advantage in the tablet market, ..." - Chitika, 2012

This critical little fact has been left out of almost every fansite article that quoted that first report.

All great points. I would like to add one more. Last year Apple had 81% of views (how many is that?) and this year they have 77% (again of wht?). The point being that if the total went up, then 77% could still be more views than last years 83%. After all just because % of views went down we cannot assume that people stopped using their ipads. I just find this graph too vauge to really have it add any significant value.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.