Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:56 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Hints of Touch ID Support for iPad Found in iOS 7.1 Code




Since the release of the iPhone 5s last September, most observers have expected that the Touch ID fingerprint feature will be making its way into the iPad lineup as Apple is able ramp up production on the sensors, so it is no surprise that KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo earlier this month predicted that both the iPad Air and Retina iPad mini will be gaining the feature later this year.

Actual evidence of iPad Touch ID support has now been discovered by French iOS developer Pierre Blazquez, as noted by iDownloadBlog. The evidence comes in the form of a BiometricKit bundle in iOS that serves as the framework for the Touch ID functionality, with the bundle being listed as compatible with both iPhone/iPod and iPad families.

Apple classifies its iOS devices into three families, with iPhone/iPod receiving a "1" designation, iPad receiving a "2" designation, and Apple TV classified as "3". BiometricKit is currently showing compatibility with both 1 and 2 families, although it is not exactly clear when iPad was added to the list.

Apple is likely to stick to its typical yearly upgrade cycle for this iPad generation, meaning that new iPads should appear in the latter part of this year. Kuo predicts that the new iPads will appear in late Q3 around the same time as new iPhones and perhaps Apple's much-rumored iWatch.

Update 9:07 AM: As noted by Benjamin Mayo, the reference has been around for "several iOS updates", but it still indicates that iPad support is likely in the works.

Article Link: Hints of Touch ID Support for iPad Found in iOS 7.1 Code
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:57 AM   #2
taptic
macrumors 65816
 
taptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Mindblower!

I thought they were just going to keep it for the iPhone forever like they did with Siri...
__________________
If you want a cool new feature on a Samsung phone, just suggest it to Apple.
taptic is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:58 AM   #3
brendu
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Makes sense. Had to keep something for iPad Air 2
brendu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:58 AM   #4
street.cory
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
This is one of the things I've been waiting for before I upgrade my iPad.

An obvious and welcome addition indeed!
__________________
no one cares

street.cory is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:58 AM   #5
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
It was inevitable! This should have already been implemented in iPad Air and Mini Retina to begin with.
__________________
Macbook Air 11" 2013/i7/8GB RAM/250GB SSD
iPhone 6+ 64GB Space Gray
nepalisherpa is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816
 
Eduardo1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Touch ID on the new iPad would be most welcomed!
__________________
Mid-2011 27 inch, 3.4 Ghz, 12GB RAM, i7 iMac
Fight On!
Eduardo1971 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:00 AM   #7
Serban
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
so, TouchID, same A8 as iPhone 6, and maybe a thinner device thanks to display rumour?
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Crosscreek
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Margarittaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
It was inevitable! This should have already been implemented in iPad Air and Mini Retina to begin with.
Apple needed something to help sell the IPad Air 2.
Crosscreek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:01 AM   #9
dauby88
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
No surprise here. Now lets hope they incorporate multiple user accounts into iOS 8. Touch ID is a great gateway to separate user logins.
dauby88 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:06 AM   #10
Crosscreek
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Margarittaville
The IPad is getting stale. Apple needs to step up and set this thing apart from all other tablets.

They have that 64 bit processor that they need to put to work.

I have a IPad 2 that works just as well as the new ones.

Give me a reason to upgrade.
Crosscreek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:12 AM   #11
lars666
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauby88 View Post
No surprise here. Now lets hope they incorporate multiple user accounts into iOS 8. Touch ID is a great gateway to separate user logins.
Don't get your hopes up too high...
lars666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:17 AM   #12
whooleytoo
macrumors 603
 
whooleytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cork, Ireland.
Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosscreek View Post
The IPad is getting stale. Apple needs to step up and set this thing apart from all other tablets.

They have that 64 bit processor that they need to put to work.

I have a IPad 2 that works just as well as the new ones.

Give me a reason to upgrade.
A few months back I upgraded from an iPad 2 to an iPad Air, and the difference in network/download/browsing speed is huge, the Air has MIMO while the 2 doesn't. That alone made it worthwhile for me, not to mention the A7 is so much faster, and the iPad itself smaller & lighter without compromising the screen. And obviously, the iPad 2 isn't Retina either.
__________________
Mac <- Macintosh <- McIntosh apples <- John McIntosh <- McIntosh surname <- "Mac an toshach" <- "Son of the Chief"
whooleytoo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:17 AM   #13
MacFather
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Europe
Am I the only one who still haven't found an use for the iPad ?
MacFather is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:18 AM   #14
FSMBP
macrumors 68020
 
FSMBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosscreek View Post
The IPad is getting stale. Apple needs to step up and set this thing apart from all other tablets.

They have that 64 bit processor that they need to put to work.

I have a IPad 2 that works just as well as the new ones.

Give me a reason to upgrade.
I'm not saying the iPad isn't getting "stale" (I think Apple could easily make it a killer device with adding split-screen, multiple users & a very basic way to manage files (see my signature)), but the latest iPad has many advantages of your iPad 2:

1. Noticeable faster/more RAM
2. Better Cameras
3. Noticeable better screen
4. Siri (and other software features)
5. Faster Wireless

Just because something is 'good enough' doesn't mean the newer devices aren't significantly better.
__________________
Still don't get why I can't save a Word File from an email on my iPhone without some third-party app.
FSMBP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:20 AM   #15
TallManNY
macrumors 68000
 
TallManNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Not stale to me. GF has co-opted my iPad 3 while I use my mini daily. But I'd like a full size iPad Air for around the house. Maybe this one with just wifi.
__________________
Mid-2011 3.1GHz i5 iMac (6970m); HP Spectre (Win 8.1)
BBRY Q10; iPhone 6; iPad Mini-R
Apple Stockholder (a nice dividend, stock buybacks and cutting edge innovation? yes please!)
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:23 AM   #16
Serban
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
This year Apple will enter as probably first quad core 64 bit processor with ipads and iphone 6
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:26 AM   #17
wizard
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: May 2003
What incredible nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosscreek View Post
The IPad is getting stale. Apple needs to step up and set this thing apart from all other tablets.
That is baloney right from the start.
Quote:
They have that 64 bit processor that they need to put to work.
They already do put it to work! IOS 7 was significantly updated to leverage the 64 nature of the A7 processor.
Quote:
I have a IPad 2 that works just as well as the new ones.
Obviously you haven't picked a recent iPad, ipad 2 isn't even close to the new hardware.
Quote:
Give me a reason to upgrade.
If iPad 2 works for you, you have no reason to even think about an upgrade.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFather View Post
Am I the only one who still haven't found an use for the iPad ?
In my case I use the thing more and more everyday. It just works well for me.
wizard is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:26 AM   #18
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosscreek View Post
Apple needed something to help sell the IPad Air 2.
Because Apple just had tens of millions of Touch ID sensors sitting around that they could throw into iPads.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:27 AM   #19
Crosscreek
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Margarittaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooleytoo View Post
A few months back I upgraded from an iPad 2 to an iPad Air, and the difference in network/download/browsing speed is huge, the Air has MIMO while the 2 doesn't. That alone made it worthwhile for me, not to mention the A7 is so much faster, and the iPad itself smaller & lighter without compromising the screen. And obviously, the iPad 2 isn't Retina either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
I'm not saying the iPad isn't getting "stale" (I think Apple could easily make it a killer device with adding split-screen, multiple users & a very basic way to manage files (see my signature)), but the latest iPad has many advantages of your iPad 2:

1. Noticeable faster/more RAM
2. Better Cameras
3. Noticeable better screen
4. Siri (and other software features)
5. Faster Wireless

Just because something is 'good enough' doesn't mean the newer devices aren't significantly better.
Yes, these are good reasons but the same experience as my IPad 2.

I would like some multitasking and add a file structure with micro USB or micro card reader.

Improve the total experience.
Crosscreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:29 AM   #20
allanfries
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Touch ID is a good thing. Just can't live without it!
__________________
13" MacBook pro 2.9GHz i7 ; 27" Cinema Display ; iPhone5s ; iPad mini ; appleTv3.
allanfries is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:30 AM   #21
MisakixMikasa
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Will anyone actually going to upgrade from iPad Air to iPad Air 2 just for TouchID? The current iPad Air and iPad mini are fast enough for next two or three year. I personally won't upgrade just because of TouchID..Apple need to bring something really different to the tablet to lure iPad Air user to upgrade
__________________
iPad mini 1 & 2, iPad 4 WiFi and iPad 4 LTE, Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Moto G.
Android offers you so much more convince. If you just apply little bit common sense, you can avoid 99% of malware.
MisakixMikasa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:32 AM   #22
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DShap5 View Post
Mindblower!

I thought they were just going to keep it for the iPhone forever like they did with Siri...
Uh, didn't the FIRST iPad to be released after the introduction of Siri include Siri???

How did they keep it "iPhone forever" if it immediately came out for iPad?
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:35 AM   #23
alexgowers
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosscreek View Post
The IPad is getting stale. Apple needs to step up and set this thing apart from all other tablets.

They have that 64 bit processor that they need to put to work.

I have a IPad 2 that works just as well as the new ones.

Give me a reason to upgrade.
Ok so you are complaining current gen iPad is not an upgrade from your current model. I think you must have missed a memo or something but you are missing out big time. The retina screen alone is worth the upgrade, it's smaller, lighter like 20x as powerful cpu/gpu, better cameras front and back... the list goes on and on. You sound like the kind of guy who sticks on windows xp on his archaic gateway pc from the late 90s because it works just as good. quite clearly there is massive differences in every aspect and apple is doing plenty to advance the iPad. There is nothing stale about it and clearly apple is miles ahead in software and hardware for tablets, you say other tablets like they have even a chance against the package of the iPad right now.
alexgowers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:46 AM   #24
cliffster82
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Dangit, this is exactly what I wanted last year but I jumped on the new hardware anyway. I assume I'm not the only one.


cliffster82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:48 AM   #25
xmichaelp
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
So the Air 2 is going to have a laminated screen and Touch ID? Sounds good enough to wait for. Really hope they go 2 GBs of RAM in the next gen of iDevices though.
xmichaelp is online now   4 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
References to Siri for Apple TV Found in iOS 7.1 Code MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 79 May 1, 2014 09:46 AM
Delivery Status Touch Updated for iOS 7 with Background Notifications, iCloud Support MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 43 Dec 4, 2013 05:40 AM
iPad: Forgot iPad 4 digit code on iOS 7 YsoSerious iPad 2 Sep 21, 2013 10:00 PM
Apple Seeds iOS 7 Beta 2 to Developers with iPad and iPad Mini Support MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 660 Jul 17, 2013 05:31 AM
iOS 6.1 Beta 5 Code Hints at Upcoming 128 GB Devices MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 208 Feb 1, 2013 07:36 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC