Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:56 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Hints of Touch ID Support for iPad Found in iOS 7.1 Code

Since the release of the iPhone 5s last September, most observers have expected that the Touch ID fingerprint feature will be making its way into the iPad lineup as Apple is able ramp up production on the sensors, so it is no surprise that KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo earlier this month predicted that both the iPad Air and Retina iPad mini will be gaining the feature later this year.

Actual evidence of iPad Touch ID support has now been discovered by French iOS developer Pierre Blazquez, as noted by iDownloadBlog. The evidence comes in the form of a BiometricKit bundle in iOS that serves as the framework for the Touch ID functionality, with the bundle being listed as compatible with both iPhone/iPod and iPad families.

Apple classifies its iOS devices into three families, with iPhone/iPod receiving a "1" designation, iPad receiving a "2" designation, and Apple TV classified as "3". BiometricKit is currently showing compatibility with both 1 and 2 families, although it is not exactly clear when iPad was added to the list.

Apple is likely to stick to its typical yearly upgrade cycle for this iPad generation, meaning that new iPads should appear in the latter part of this year. Kuo predicts that the new iPads will appear in late Q3 around the same time as new iPhones and perhaps Apple's much-rumored iWatch.

Update 9:07 AM: As noted by Benjamin Mayo, the reference has been around for "several iOS updates", but it still indicates that iPad support is likely in the works.

Article Link: Hints of Touch ID Support for iPad Found in iOS 7.1 Code
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:57 AM   #2
taptic
macrumors 65816

Mindblower!

I thought they were just going to keep it for the iPhone forever like they did with Siri...
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:58 AM   #3
brendu
macrumors 68000

Makes sense. Had to keep something for iPad Air 2
brendu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:58 AM   #4
street.cory
macrumors 6502

This is one of the things I've been waiting for before I upgrade my iPad.

An obvious and welcome addition indeed!

street.cory is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:58 AM   #5
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

It was inevitable! This should have already been implemented in iPad Air and Mini Retina to begin with.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

Touch ID on the new iPad would be most welcomed!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:00 AM   #7
Serban
macrumors 68030

so, TouchID, same A8 as iPhone 6, and maybe a thinner device thanks to display rumour?
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Crosscreek
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
It was inevitable! This should have already been implemented in iPad Air and Mini Retina to begin with.
Apple needed something to help sell the IPad Air 2.
Crosscreek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:01 AM   #9
dauby88
macrumors member

No surprise here. Now lets hope they incorporate multiple user accounts into iOS 8. Touch ID is a great gateway to separate user logins.
dauby88 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:06 AM   #10
Crosscreek
macrumors 65816

The IPad is getting stale. Apple needs to step up and set this thing apart from all other tablets.

They have that 64 bit processor that they need to put to work.

I have a IPad 2 that works just as well as the new ones.

Give me a reason to upgrade.
Crosscreek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:12 AM   #11
lars666
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauby88 View Post
No surprise here. Now lets hope they incorporate multiple user accounts into iOS 8. Touch ID is a great gateway to separate user logins.
Don't get your hopes up too high...
lars666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:17 AM   #12
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosscreek View Post
The IPad is getting stale. Apple needs to step up and set this thing apart from all other tablets.

A few months back I upgraded from an iPad 2 to an iPad Air, and the difference in network/download/browsing speed is huge, the Air has MIMO while the 2 doesn't. That alone made it worthwhile for me, not to mention the A7 is so much faster, and the iPad itself smaller & lighter without compromising the screen. And obviously, the iPad 2 isn't Retina either.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:17 AM   #13
MacFather
macrumors 6502

Am I the only one who still haven't found an use for the iPad ?
MacFather is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:18 AM   #14
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:

I'm not saying the iPad isn't getting "stale" (I think Apple could easily make it a killer device with adding split-screen, multiple users & a very basic way to manage files (see my signature)), but the latest iPad has many advantages of your iPad 2:

1. Noticeable faster/more RAM
2. Better Cameras
3. Noticeable better screen
4. Siri (and other software features)
5. Faster Wireless

Just because something is 'good enough' doesn't mean the newer devices aren't significantly better.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:20 AM   #15
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Not stale to me. GF has co-opted my iPad 3 while I use my mini daily. But I'd like a full size iPad Air for around the house. Maybe this one with just wifi.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:23 AM   #16
Serban
macrumors 68030

This year Apple will enter as probably first quad core 64 bit processor with ipads and iphone 6
Serban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:26 AM   #17
wizard
macrumors 68040

What incredible nonsense.

Quote:
That is baloney right from the start.
Quote:
They already do put it to work! IOS 7 was significantly updated to leverage the 64 nature of the A7 processor.
Quote:
Obviously you haven't picked a recent iPad, ipad 2 isn't even close to the new hardware.
Quote:
If iPad 2 works for you, you have no reason to even think about an upgrade.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFather View Post
Am I the only one who still haven't found an use for the iPad ?
In my case I use the thing more and more everyday. It just works well for me.
wizard is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:26 AM   #18
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Apple needed something to help sell the IPad Air 2.
Because Apple just had tens of millions of Touch ID sensors sitting around that they could throw into iPads.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:27 AM   #19
Crosscreek
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooleytoo View Post
A few months back I upgraded from an iPad 2 to an iPad Air, and the difference in network/download/browsing speed is huge, the Air has MIMO while the 2 doesn't. That alone made it worthwhile for me, not to mention the A7 is so much faster, and the iPad itself smaller & lighter without compromising the screen. And obviously, the iPad 2 isn't Retina either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
I'm not saying the iPad isn't getting "stale" (I think Apple could easily make it a killer device with adding split-screen, multiple users & a very basic way to manage files (see my signature)), but the latest iPad has many advantages of your iPad 2:

1. Noticeable faster/more RAM
2. Better Cameras
3. Noticeable better screen
4. Siri (and other software features)
5. Faster Wireless

Just because something is 'good enough' doesn't mean the newer devices aren't significantly better.
Yes, these are good reasons but the same experience as my IPad 2.

I would like some multitasking and add a file structure with micro USB or micro card reader.

Improve the total experience.
Crosscreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:29 AM   #20
allanfries
macrumors regular

Touch ID is a good thing. Just can't live without it!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:30 AM   #21
MisakixMikasa
macrumors 6502a

Will anyone actually going to upgrade from iPad Air to iPad Air 2 just for TouchID? The current iPad Air and iPad mini are fast enough for next two or three year. I personally won't upgrade just because of TouchID..Apple need to bring something really different to the tablet to lure iPad Air user to upgrade
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:32 AM   #22
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShap5 View Post
Mindblower!

I thought they were just going to keep it for the iPhone forever like they did with Siri...
Uh, didn't the FIRST iPad to be released after the introduction of Siri include Siri???

How did they keep it "iPhone forever" if it immediately came out for iPad?
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:35 AM   #23
alexgowers
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Ok so you are complaining current gen iPad is not an upgrade from your current model. I think you must have missed a memo or something but you are missing out big time. The retina screen alone is worth the upgrade, it's smaller, lighter like 20x as powerful cpu/gpu, better cameras front and back... the list goes on and on. You sound like the kind of guy who sticks on windows xp on his archaic gateway pc from the late 90s because it works just as good. quite clearly there is massive differences in every aspect and apple is doing plenty to advance the iPad. There is nothing stale about it and clearly apple is miles ahead in software and hardware for tablets, you say other tablets like they have even a chance against the package of the iPad right now.
alexgowers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:46 AM   #24
cliffster82
macrumors member

Dangit, this is exactly what I wanted last year but I jumped on the new hardware anyway. I assume I'm not the only one.

cliffster82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:48 AM   #25
xmichaelp
macrumors 65816

So the Air 2 is going to have a laminated screen and Touch ID? Sounds good enough to wait for. Really hope they go 2 GBs of RAM in the next gen of iDevices though.
xmichaelp is online now   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion