Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:59 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 8 Concept Video Features Siri with Shazam, iWatch-Synced Healthbook App

A concept video of what iOS 8 would look like if it was tailor made for the iPhone 6 has been created and posted by TechRadar. The video features a mockup iPhone 6 handset with an edge-to-edge display and no discernible Touch ID home button. The presentation style and background audio takes its inspiration from Apple's own highly polished product videos.

The video shows a revised iOS 8 notification center with multiple panes that allow you to swipe between a "Today" view, a calendar view and a messages view. Items are actionable, allowing you to tap an unread email and open the mail app in a slide-up shade, which can be swiped down when you are done reading.

Pulling from the most recent round of rumors, the concept envisions a Healthbook app that syncs with the iWatch, a supercharged Siri with Shazam and an even better version of Apple's new CarPlay feature.

Unlike an earlier concept that combined the notification center with the multi-task switcher, the Tech Radar concept keeps the radical ideas to a minimum, focusing on the core foundations of iOS 7 and exploring how they would look with a refreshed interface and few new features rumored to debut in iOS 8.

Article Link: iOS 8 Concept Video Features Siri with Shazam, iWatch-Synced Healthbook App
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:00 AM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Makes me want even more.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:02 AM   #3
Sky Blue

Nice concept. Looking forward to Healthbook and Maps improvements.
Sky Blue is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:03 AM   #4
seble
macrumors 6502a

Nice concept, but i just hate those gradient colours and icons everywhere, it looks so Windowsish, and not even good windowsish.
seble is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040

Lets be real... all the iOS concepts always includes USEFUL and intuitive features that Apple NEVER has integrated.

I wish these concepts were close to what Apple ACTUALLY releases in iOS, but its never even remotely as cool, intuitive, functional or useful. Its always what Apple BELIEVES we should want/need.
Orlandoech is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:08 AM   #6
allanfries
macrumors regular

Looks pretty good! That is, if any of it is even close to being accurate?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:09 AM   #7
MrLoL
macrumors member

Pretty concept, but the passbook icon is just ugly
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:14 AM   #8
Mac Fly (film)
macrumors 6502

12 months means the green is a different hue.
Mac Fly (film) is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:17 AM   #9
zaredh
macrumors regular

How dull.
zaredh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:18 AM   #10
jordancrombie92
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seble View Post
Nice concept, but i just hate those gradient colours and icons everywhere, it looks so Windowsish, and not even good windowsish.
I much prefer the darker colours, looks a bit more professional but still maintains the fun element that iOS 7 has.

The notification centre is the most improved! Love it!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:20 AM   #11
itpromike
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandoech.com View Post
Lets be real... all the iOS concepts always includes USEFUL and intuitive features that Apple NEVER has integrated.

I wish these concepts were close to what Apple ACTUALLY releases in iOS, but its never even remotely as cool, intuitive, functional or useful. Its always what Apple BELIEVES we should want/need.
I couldn't agree more. It's usually dumbed down to the point of being almost useful.
itpromike is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:21 AM   #12
FuNGi
macrumors 6502a

So, done away with the Touch ID sensor but no software alternative proposed?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:21 AM   #13
Radio
In Time-Out

ShaZam is so useless

Is this going to be one of those annoying new features that every iPhone user needs to share with their friends ?!

"Oh hey guys let's ask Siri silly things!!!!!"

"Siri where should I bury a body?" Siri - sorry I don't understand. (Try's once more). Siri -'the city dump is 10 miles away'

"Rofl loll" "oh Siri you're so funny!"

Shut Up!!!!
Radio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:22 AM   #14
critter13
macrumors regular

few things

there will definitely be a home button with touchID. i don't think the notification center will only feature calls, messages, and emails in the way the video depicts. apple does not want to bury your other app notifications, if anything they will want to grant more access to them. app economy.

shazaam and health book will be nice but i hope some of the other major new features are more universally appealing. ( health book will require another device and I honestly never use shazaam )
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:29 AM   #15
Millah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Maybe because its a hell of a lot easier creating a concept than ACTUALLY implementing something working in an operating system.

Concepts will always look more fancy and "futuristic" than reality.

Also a concept video doesn't have to think every single detail through in regards to actually using it and how it flows with the rest of the design. There's a huge difference between actually using something, and just seeing some fancy demo that doesn't have to think it all the way through.
Millah is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:43 AM   #16
Dades
macrumors member

Apparently the phone in that concept video has a battery that lasts 2 weeks.

APPLE - ARE YOU WATCHING?!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:10 PM   #17
ikir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dades View Post
Apparently the phone in that concept video has a battery that lasts 2 weeks.

APPLE - ARE YOU WATCHING?!
It is not possible. You don't need it because you can keep you Mac/iPad/iPhone device as much as you want and often to power since lithium battery age when you use then, more cycles you do less will last.
A battery with 50% more capacity will be good in days you don't come back home or use a lot of cellular data, but more than that is useless.
ikir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:16 PM   #18
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:

Yup, not like we got notification center, control center, or card multitasking as has been depicted in all kinds of concepts before. Oh, wait...
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:18 PM   #19
satchmo
macrumors 6502

As slick as this presentation is, I would think a new version of iOS would warrant greater changes.

This looks more like an incremental upgrade like a 7.5 versus an 8.0 upgrade.

That said I don't suspect Apple will be making wholesale changes to their iOS for anytime soon.
satchmo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:19 PM   #20
jclardy
macrumors 68020

It is pretty much everything that has been rumored for the past 6 months! I like the new notification center concept, but what happens to all the app notifications? If I get a notification banner and miss it I would still like to be able to swipe down and see what it was...So I think recent notifications should be at the bottom of the NC screen with the contextual info up top.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:35 PM   #21
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

As past history showed us, Apple will never release something that useful.
mdridwan47 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:41 PM   #22
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by itpromike View Post
I couldn't agree more. It's usually dumbed down to the point of being almost useful.

Hey thanks for agreeing lol!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millah View Post
Maybe because its a hell of a lot easier creating a concept than ACTUALLY implementing something working in an operating system.

Also a concept video doesn't have to think every single detail through in regards to actually using it and how it flows with the rest of the design. There's a huge difference between actually using something, and just seeing some fancy demo that doesn't have to think it all the way through.
Yea, like they dont have some of the worlds best devs.. oh wait...
Orlandoech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:53 PM   #23
lazyrighteye
macrumors 65816

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millah View Post

Exactly. Developing an idea, in a vaccum, of yourself is one thing (gold star - you had a thought). Designing, developing, manufacturing, marketing and selling something that hundreds of millions of people will give their hard earned money for... an entirely different ball of wax on every level that can be discussed.

One need look no further than the automotive industry to see this dynamic alive and well. Clearly, [insert auto manufacturer here] can design & build one cool car of the future. But will enough people want said cool car of the future to warrant production? The people have spoken and the answer is a resounding "no." Sorry. I guarantee, if people pulled out their wallets and said "we want a cool car of the future," the auto industry would deliver. Instead, were stuck with Chevy Luminas and Ford Probes. Power to the people?
lazyrighteye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 01:05 PM   #24
Xenc
macrumors 6502a

You need a way to view push notifications, battery level and signal strength from Notification Centre. This concept, while well-made, seems to ditch those important elements!

I hope Siri is clever enough to listen to music without being asked in order to match it with Shazam. Google Now does this and it's a great feature.

Drive Mode would lock out passengers from using your phone. Hopefully Apple doesn't go down that route.
Xenc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 01:14 PM   #25
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Does anybody own the domain MacRenders.com? It's probably time for a rebranding around here.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion