Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:27 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone 6 Case Maker's Renderings Display Antenna Cutouts, Thin Design

iPhone 6 design renderings aimed at helping case manufacturers create early iPhone 6 cases ahead of the device's release have surfaced on Ukrainian website UkrainianiPhone [Google Translate] (via Nowhereelse.fr), from what the site calls a "reliable source of information."

The renderings are seemingly based on the same general design principles found in schematics leaked back in early March, but they provide more detail on what we might possibly expect from the iPhone 6. As with most of the current design leaks, the authenticity of the renderings cannot be confirmed.

While the majority of renderings, cases, and iPhone 6 details leaked up until this point have failed to explain how Apple will incorporate antennas into the iPhone 6, the new Ukrainian renderings suggest that the back shell of the iPhone will not be all one piece, potentially leaving room in the aluminum casing for possible antenna inserts, similar to the design of the existing iPhone 5s. There are separate top and bottom pieces depicted in the renderings as well, which also point towards an antenna.

According to the renderings, the device will have a thickness of 6mm, which is somewhat in line with predictions from reliable KGI securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who pointed towards a thickness of 6.5 to 7mm. At 6mm, the iPhone 6 would be significantly thinner than the iPhone 5s, which is 7.6mm thick. The renderings also suggest the iPhone 6 will have a length of 138mm and a width of 67mm.

As with the original design schematics, the renderings incorporate a rounded flash, which is a departure from the existing pill-shaped True Tone flash introduced with the iPhone 5s. There's also a sleep/wake button located on the right side of the device, and rumors have thus far suggested Apple could move the button to make it easier to access sleep/wake on a larger device with one hand.

Overall, the renderings are more or less in line with previous iPhone 6 rumors, which have indeed pointed to a thinner design with smaller bezels. Apple's iPhone 6 is also expected to include an upgraded A8 processor, Touch ID, and an improved camera.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Case Maker's Renderings Display Antenna Cutouts, Thin Design
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Prof.
macrumors 601

I'm so over thin.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Zeov
macrumors 6502a

all these rumors.. i want a new iPhone now!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:29 PM   #4
keterboy
macrumors regular

News by the minute now.
keterboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:30 PM   #5
whsbuss
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
I'm so over thin.
Yeah but I'm sure you will get one.
whsbuss is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:31 PM   #6
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

The faster they release this phone, the better. That way the horrible 4" screen can be an ugly memory.
MattMJB0188 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:31 PM   #7
JerryCards
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to JerryCards
Apple should just announce the iPhone 6 officially, or, maybe those rumors are accurately from Apple directly?
JerryCards is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:32 PM   #8
eklof
macrumors member

Can someone make them stop the thin-race and get a battery-life of at least 3-4 days on normal use! Pretty please!
eklof is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:32 PM   #9
Prof.
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Yeah but I'm sure you will get one.
...and put a big bulky case on it.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:32 PM   #10
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

6 mm thick would beat the iPhone 5S by 1 mm. That's kinda cool.
SmileyBlast! is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:32 PM   #11
Wishbrah
macrumors regular

Gonna be rough resisting the 4.7" while staring at my 4S; all while clinging onto hope for a 5.5". Ahhh, first world problems. :-(
Wishbrah is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:33 PM   #12
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
...and put a big bulky case on it.
That big bulky case could also be a battery pack to extend your usage.
SmileyBlast! is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:34 PM   #13
cracksoup
macrumors newbie

I haven't seen ONE single comment about the iPhone being too thick.. However I've seen tons of comments saying that the battery life suck. So Apple, doesn't that leave a hint what people really want?....
cracksoup is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:35 PM   #14
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502a

One of my favorite features of the 5 over the 4S was how it managed to get smaller (volumetrically) and lighter while increasing the screen size. The 4S now feels like a brick! If they can somehow manage to pull the same thing off with the 6 (I can dream), or even keep the weight around the same as the 5, I'd be a happy camper.
Karma*Police is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:37 PM   #15
goodcow
macrumors 6502a

The only way to get Apple to even consider focusing on battery and not thinness would be a concerted group effort to mass submit feedback via the feedback page.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:38 PM   #16
SmokyD
macrumors regular

Dear Apple,

Please reduce the top and bottom bezels and make the overall dimensions smaller rather than just focus on thinness. I personally would rather have a 7mm thick phone with smaller bezels than a 6mm thick phone that is longer and wider. And thinner also means less sturdy. At some point, it is just too much.
SmokyD is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:38 PM   #17
Steve at Jobs
macrumors newbie

I've bought HTC One M7 last year because I wanted powerful, beautiful phone with big screen. So no iPhone for me. The dimension of M7 are 137,4 mm x 68,2 x 9,3 mm.

Year after that Apple is planning to release iPhone 6 with dimensions 138 x 67 x 6 mm. Seems like HTC is doing great job!

Still gonna upgrade to iPhone 6 though
Steve at Jobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:42 PM   #18
geralddarden
macrumors newbie

Thanks UkrainianiPhone, but isn't there any thing else going on in your neck of the woods that may be worth keeping an eye on?
geralddarden is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:43 PM   #19
joejoejoe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksoup View Post
I haven't seen ONE single comment about the iPhone being too thick.. However I've seen tons of comments saying that the battery life suck. So Apple, doesn't that leave a hint what people really want?....
marketing. "thinnest iPhone ever" or "thinnest smartphone ever" leads to week long lines on launch day.

sure people love long battery life, but talking a battery is not as sexy as talking about thinness when it comes to gadgets.
joejoejoe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:45 PM   #20
Joebarchuck
macrumors newbie

I don't understand this new design, why would Apple take away the great double flash? Is there an all in one flash I don't know about that could replace the double one? If not, then it's highly unlikely they would downgrade the camera's low light flash capabilities. It just makes no sense to me.

To wonder why hasn't anyone brought this up?
Joebarchuck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:46 PM   #21
Solver
macrumors regular

Why are people so surprised about a rounded LED flash part?
It is easy to design a two color LED in one part. In bulk, it takes up less room, is lighter weight and cost less.
Solver is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:48 PM   #22
duffman9000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcow View Post
The only way to get Apple to even consider focusing on battery and not thinness would be a concerted group effort to mass submit feedback via the feedback page.
I spam that page as often as I can. If Apple could make an iPhone Paper with 8 hours of battery life or a phone twice as thick with 16 hours of battery life, Apple would choose the thinner device.
duffman9000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:51 PM   #23
T-Will
macrumors 6502

Obligatory Apple take my money post.
T-Will is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:51 PM   #24
Solver
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklof View Post
Can someone make them stop the thin-race and get a battery-life of at least 3-4 days on normal use! Pretty please!
Or maybe the, New, two weeks on one charge, half inch thick, iPhone Brick.
Stacking up at a store near you.
Solver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:51 PM   #25
Toltepeceno
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by geralddarden View Post
Thanks UkrainianiPhone, but isn't there any thing else going on in your neck of the woods that may be worth keeping an eye on?
Since they report on phones maybe not.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion