Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Umm... Why is there a pic of the 5S not the 5 since the error does not affect the 5S?

MacRumors, you're supposed to be experts :p

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I had the exact issue with the first iPhone5 I had within 9 months of taking out the contract. O2 tried to charge me £190 to repair it because they found some meaningless issue with the lightning port and that was a good enough loophole for them to refuse a replacement (earphones cut out on one ear after 6 months and to O2 that was just wear and tear). One call to Apple about it and I was given a new phone!

It must be a known issue.

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
Hilarious - just had to tell Apple support tech to go to Macrumors to find the link for this as they were not alerted.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
I am too but I'm not sure if my sleep/wake is wonky or not. It seems fine to me?

You have two years from the purchase date of the phone.

----------

Hilarious - just had to tell Apple support tech to go to Macrumors to find the link for this as they were not alerted.

Hilarious? Or maybe because Apple can't post a single bit of news internally that isn't immediately leaked?

erickj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Seattle
I've had the issue...

About 8 months ago. Took it to the apple store and they just gave me a brand new iPhone. No problems with the new one.

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
So what if your phone doesn't have the problem? Are the just replacing the button or giving us a replacement?

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Man.
I actually had this problem and brought my phone to Apple multiple times and was turned away, and eventually just fixed it myself which was a hassle to do.

I'm glad this came out, I just am annoyed that it wasn't sooner. I threw my serial up and of course my phone is eligible.

Ah well.

Darn.

H.Finch

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2013
I noticed my button not responding like 8 times... I thought it was me, not pushing hard enough... Glad to know this, my iPhone is approved for this program. Lets just hope it comes back in prestine condition... It has no scratches or whatever after a year of intense use...

BryanDWilkes

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
Wrong Image?

The image for the article is of a 5s although the article is referring to a iPhone 5. Being I'm being nitpicky

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I haven't even heard of anyone that I know who owns the iPhone 5 having sleep button issues. Thats quite a few friends, but I'm glad Apple is calling a recall to fix this.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Mine is eligible, but it works just fine. Still might be worth it if I keep it instead of upgrading in January or even if I sell it and upgrade. Will see if my bf's T-Mobile 5 is also eligible. Hopefully they have enough to loan out.

thespyder

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Bris Vegas, Australia
I was just debating whether to use my phone carrier warranty or risk taking it to an apple store despite not having AppleCare. I have heard of replacement 5 models being handed out in similar situations.

Good to see they're acknowledging the problem :)

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I won this lottery too. Or at least a family member who got my old iPhone 5 did. Good argument for upgrading every year. We use these things everyday for most of the day.
You'd expect them to wear out quickly. Good to see :apple: standing behind this one

Sonic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
happy they're doing this, as i'm covered (and my button is dead) ... but in the t&c:

Preparing your iPhone 5 for service
Make sure your iPhone is ready for service by completing the following steps:

Back up your data to iTunes or iCloud
Turn off Find my iPhone
Erase data and settings in Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings
Remove any case or cover

Note: If you are running iOS 6, your iPhone will need to be upgraded to iOS 7 after the sleep/wake button mechanism is replaced.

... is frustrating as i'm very keen to stay on iOS 6

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Nice technique by Apple to get people to upgrade to iOS 7:

"we'll fix your sleep button FOR FREE but you'll have to cope with 7.1 that you can't jailbreak, which means you're stuck with neon icons! Have fun :)

P.S. buy iphone 5s"

----------

happy they're doing this, as i'm covered (and my button is dead) ... but in the t&c:

... is frustrating as i'm very keen to stay on iOS 6

Well, you can get a replacement button on eBay and fix it yourself (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke36NdzcVnc).

marco114

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2001
USA
i had this problem about 4 weeks ago, out of warranty. i ended up buying a new phone becuase of that. LAME!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
My iPhone 5 had this. I just sold it though but that was also as I hated iOS 7s design. I was however very annoyed that another very expensive Apple device had one of Apples infamous 'known issues'.
My iPhone 4 had a faulty home button, was getting tired of faulty buttons on a device costing more then an iPad, still I would take advantage of this programme if I still had it.

But just got fed up with very poor quality control on a £600 plus device.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
so let me get this straight, if we go to our local apple store and get this serviced, we still need to drop our phones off and be given a loaner? I thought this type of repair would be done in-house?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.