Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
London
I just bought this monitor to use with a 2009 MacBook Pro.
When I plug the included HDMI cable into the MacBook's DisplayPort socket, using an Apple adapter, the screen just shows 'No Signal Detected' and goes to sleep.
If I use an analogue cable, the screen works, but at nothing like the advertised resolution.
A new DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable arrives Monday. If that doesn't sort these problems, this monitor is going back & I'll try another brand.

Unless someone can suggest something?

No Support or manuals on the BenQ website either - not good

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
I just bought this monitor to use with a 2009 MacBook Pro.
When I plug the included HDMI cable into the MacBook's DisplayPort socket, using an Apple adapter, the screen just shows 'No Signal Detected' and goes to sleep.
If I use an analogue cable, the screen works, but at nothing like the advertised resolution.
A new DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable arrives Monday. If that doesn't sort these problems, this monitor is going back & I'll try another brand.

Unless someone can suggest something?

No Support or manuals on the BenQ website either - not good

Wouldn't you have to manually switch the input signal via the switches at the bottom right of the monitor?

Reactions: mac_user777

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
London
Wouldn't you have to manually switch the input signal via the switches at the bottom right of the monitor?

Yes, you're right - if I plug in an analogue cable I can see the onscreen controls & set the input to HDMI manually. Then switch the cables to HDMI & I get a digital signal.

But surely I should;t have to do this? It should detect the signal on the HDMI input & switch automatically.

I'm going to fiddle around with this over the next couple of days to get a proper understanding of exactly how it's behaving ...

Thanks for your comment

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Yes, you're right - if I plug in an analogue cable I can see the onscreen controls & set the input to HDMI manually. Then switch the cables to HDMI & I get a digital signal.

But surely I should;t have to do this? It should detect the signal on the HDMI input & switch automatically.

While I have had some monitors with automatic switching, I've found it to be the exception and not the rule.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009

It would be nice, but I've never had a monitor that switched inputs automatically, and I've had a fair few over the years (Mostly Dell, but one Benq and an LG)

mac_user777

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2016

Just made an account only to say that this advice was awesome! It solved my problem, which seems to be prevalent (searching google for "mac benq hdmi connection problems" gives an endless list of results).

Thank you

frostystar

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2016
I had the same "No Signal Detected" problem twice with a BENQ GW2765 connected to my iMac. Tried restarting, rebooting, removing cables and reconnecting, changing the input on the BENQ monitor, powering off an on the monitor, using the "detect monitor" button in the System Preferences -> Display section (press Option to see it) - all to no avail. Then a hard reboot of the monitor occurred to me. While the monitor is on, disconnect the monitor power cord, wait for the power light to go off, then reconnect the power cord - eureka !! It's working... clearly this is a BENQ problem. I hope this helps.

furtive

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Banff, AB
I had the same "No Signal Detected" problem twice with a BENQ GW2765 connected to my iMac.

I had the exact same problem with the exact same monitor but on a MacBook Air (13", 2015) using a mini display port. My solution was the same, kill the power to the monitor. I will try powering off the monitor before disconnecting the cable (a daily occurrence) going forward and see if that makes a difference.

GaTu

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2016
Hi there guys.
First thing: Sorry my bad English. I'm Spanish and i know it sucks bad.
Just created a user account only to say a BIG THANK YOU for this post.
My gf gifted me this monitor as an xmas present and i though it was damaged because it was not possible in any way to detect it through HDMI. Tried in 2 different computers and i was almost returning it for warranty.
This post saved my day.

;)

GaTu

vhw

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2010
Norway
I have this monitor as well. "No signal detected" with HDMI to DVI or DP adaptors. DVI to DVI or DP to DP works though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.