Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heelside336

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2014
I have a new iMac computer with OS X 10.9.2, Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

My audio interface is a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 that uses a firewire port. So, i bought a firewire 400/800 cable and a firewire to thunderbolt adaptor because the new iMacs don't come with a firewire port. I go to apple menu>system preferences>network and it show a thunderbolt firewire (not connected), and Thunderbolt bridge (not connected). I also go to apple menu>system preferences>sound and my audio interface is not shown in the input, and yes my interface is turned on and plugged in. I have the most up to date driver listed on Focusrites website and how downloaded multiple times, but with no success. The mix control says "no hardware found" . Still funny to me is my microphones are plugged into my audio interface and i can see that my interface is picking up sound, just that the computer is no recognizing that their is a audio interface plugged into the thunderbolt port....(note: i have used my saffire 56 with my macbook pro before the screen broke and it worked fine and i could connect straight from garageband, that is not the case for my new iMac)

i have contacted focusrite and have been talking to them through email and still haven't figured it out...i bet its a pretty obvious error in the settings that needs to be changed. any thoughts???

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There have been reports here and there that -some- firewire audio interfaces won't work when using the thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter.

I suggest you visit the digital audio forum (right here at MacRumors) and post your question there.

Another very good place to check around might be the forum at gearslutz.com ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.